Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Kazaa Slowing System?

Muscleman,
    the 46,462 files = 10.7GB (dya think i should do a bit of a cull here?) lol

Ive had SP1 on my systems for couple of years so maybe not that (altho i guess updates could be a possibility)

Only db folder i could find outta the ones u suggested was under C:\programs\kazaa lite\db\... which had...
    data256.dbb
    data 1024.dbb
    gr_Owner.current
    gr_Owner.previous
    np.tmp

Scanning for new files every - 1min

Switeck...
    To be honest i dont have that many uploads, i limit the amount to only a few at a time and most of those are either very small or a couple of megs. Either small utilities or jpegs.

U mentioned "keep a check on those upload requests" i take it u mean at the bottom half of Download/Upload screen? Im not aware of anywhere else i can check for this.

Upload slots surpriseingly dont fill up straight away.

Haxor...
    LOL... Kettle, Pot, Black!!! lol

U think i should cut down a bit too then!!!
    XP Home-512MB-80GB+160GB-Pentium4 2.53GHz-Broadband-IE6

2. File Sharing   -   #12
    BANNED
    if your db is in the program folder>klite folder there 2 possibilites.

1 you got a realy old klite man and i mean old

2 you got the k-lite2.6 rc build

need to know which one it is.

now having said that:

#1 please make sure you set your options so that your files can't be seen as switech had said.

#2 please disable the scan for the new files or set it to something like once a day or something

klite scans all your files when you open it anyways.

try that, tell me your version, and we will see if that helps, but scanning 10gig every minute is just not a good idea boss, it will take it alot more than a minute to scan 10gig anyways man

3. File Sharing   -   #13
    Ahhhh... i had no idea that the 'scan for new files' thing was at my end... cool

Kazaa Lite Version 2.1.0 (based on KMD 2.0.2)
    K++ Version 2.0.3
    Build Date April 18th 2003
    Build Number 3

Ok... have set 'prevent others from getting a list of all yr shared files' & hav set 'scan for new files every' - 1440minutes (24hrs)

strange... the computer seems a lot quieter now :-" :">
    do u think i should take my shared files down a gig or two? or is it ok to leave it now? or just wait and see?
    Think i just answered my own question... pc frozen and locked up... think its doin its daily scan!!!

Will let u know how i get on... but thats so very much for yr time and help... its greatly appreciated!!!

BTW... Im a Girly Dragon!!! :* lol

Jo

4. File Sharing   -   #14
    BANNED
    ok first of all we need to get you to update so please go here and go to fasttrack section, there you will see a pinned topic for downloading klite. please download klr 2.5.0 then make sure you set options for the people seeing your files and the scan files as this one.

wait a day and if this is happening let me know

as you can see we are at klr 2.5.0 and you have klite 2.1.0 you have a very old version boss

5. File Sharing   -   #15
    Poster
    Originally posted by JoH@2 March 2004 - 04:25
    Switeck...
    To be honest i dont have that many uploads, i limit the amount to only a few at a time and most of those are either very small or a couple of megs. Either small utilities or jpegs.

U mentioned "keep a check on those upload requests" i take it u mean at the bottom half of Download/Upload screen? Im not aware of anywhere else i can check for this.

Upload slots surpriseingly dont fill up straight away.
    If you don't have many uploads even with sharing that many files, then your connection is either firewalled, on a dynamic ip address, or both. Which means people interested in your files can't find you.

Or is it the case that what few upload slots you do allow at once are usually full?

When I'm not firewalled (and I'm on a fixed ip) and I share really popular files, my upload slots can fill up within 5 seconds of starting Kazaa Lite K++ -- even OVERFILL and then many get cancelled down to max.

"Keep a check of uploads" just means watch the uploads window a little.
    Are you actually able to upload as fast as you THINK you are?
    Is the upload bandwidth limit hurting your download speeds noticeably?
    Are lots of uploads cancelling before finishing, even though they're trying to download small files?
    Every one of those are signs of trouble, although the problem/s may be on their end instead of yours.

Having so many files shared can put a big load on your connection and cpu just from random search requests from people who AREN'T interested in your files but DO get search matches from your list. There is no way (I know of) to monitor that, but sharing fewer files and/or sharing well-named (simple, semi-short names seem best) files can cut down on the negative-match search results. This isn't to say you need to rename all your files or share less, only that if it is causing you problems you can try that to help.

6. File Sharing   -   #16
    h1

It doesn't matter if you are sharing 40,000 files that total to 10GB or 0 bytes, the effect is still the same.

Consider taking your pictures and putting them in "collections," that'll trim the file count down a lot.

7. File Sharing   -   #17
    MuscleMan,

Went to link and found the 2 download sites but they were both down so no download yet. will try again later... or are u aare of any problems over there?

Switeck,
    Thanx for the advice, the slots i do have available are full 50% of the time i guess... the other thing thats interesting is that a lot of the files i have, have very long names (discription of title for easy identification) and they are probably one offs too so that could be part of the reason.

I have noticed that when i log on first of all, it says im not sharing any file but after a couple if minutes it tends to identify them ok after that.

But thanx for the explanation of how the searching thing works, gives me something to keep in mind. Cheers bud.

8. File Sharing   -   #18
    BANNED
    you didn't use the right one when you are inthere pm me and i will show you

9. File Sharing   -   #19
    b4icu's Avatar Greater Demon
    I was having the same problem, where K++v2.43 would max out my CPU at 100% for 8-10 seconds every once in a while (system specs 512 mb ram, 1.8 gb athlon, 40 gig drive, sharing 12,000 files). I took MMs advice to JoH, and changed the frequency in whick K++ checks for new files

Options
    Kazaa Lite K++ Options
    K++ Advanced Options tab
    Scan for New Shared Files every X seconds
    change from original value (60 or 300?) to 10000

voila! my CPU no longer freaks out with such frequency, its all how often you have it set to check for new files. well at least, that was the magic wand for my problem, thx guys!
    Never miss a good chance to shut up

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12