Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Fbi Adds To Wiretap Wish List: Your Cable And Dsl

Oh, great, this is just wonderful! Now we can put all those horrible pirates away in jail who pirate things because they do't have the money topay for rediculously overpriced crap. Who don't have the money to buy a $50 video game that only has single player and can be beaten in 5 hours.

--End sarcasm--

Privacy is starting to fade away much to quickly in this country...

2. The Drawing Room   -   #22
    shn's Avatar Ð3ƒμ|\|(7
    stuff like this has been in existance already. They just did not tell you.

Carnivore

3. The Drawing Room   -   #23
    Originally posted by shn
    stuff like this has been in existance already. They just did not tell you.

Carnivore 
    Carnivore is kids stuff compared to Echelon.Thats been going on much longer too.

4. The Drawing Room   -   #24
    shn's Avatar Ð3ƒμ|\|(7
    Nonetheless.

The U.S. goverment had a big part in the creation of the internet for military purposes.

One could expect that they basically 0wn all within their own territory.

5. The Drawing Room   -   #25
    Originally posted by shn
    Indeed, but with Echeleon they 0wn the globe. This is why I'm wondering what all the fuss is about. Its been going on in a global sense since the end of WW2. Its just not the internet either, it's every form of electronic communication.

Theres an interesting EU report on it here for those who haven't already heard about it.

13.2. Conclusions

The existence of a global system for intercepting private and commercial communications (the ECHELON interception system)

That a system for intercepting communications exists, operating by means of cooperation proportionate to their capabilities among the USA, the UK, Canada, Australia and New Zealand, is no longer in doubt. It has been established that this system is operated on the basis of the UK/USA Agreement. That its name is in fact ECHELON seems likely in view of the evidence, but this is a relatively minor detail. What is important is that its purpose is to intercept private and commercial communications, and not military communications.

6. The Drawing Room   -   #26
    shn's Avatar Ð3ƒμ|\|(7
    Originally posted by leftism+15 March 2004 - 15:47--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (leftism &#064; 15 March 2004 - 15:47)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin-shn
    Indeed, but with Echeleon they 0wn the globe. This is why I&#39;m wondering what all the fuss is about. Its been going on in a global sense since the end of WW2. Its just not the internet either, it&#39;s every form of electronic communication.

Theres an interesting EU report on it here for those who haven&#39;t already heard about it.

13.2. Conclusions

The existence of a global system for intercepting private and commercial communications (the ECHELON interception system)

That a system for intercepting communications exists, operating by means of cooperation proportionate to their capabilities among the USA, the UK, Canada, Australia and New Zealand, is no longer in doubt. It has been established that this system is operated on the basis of the UK/USA Agreement. That its name is in fact ECHELON seems likely in view of the evidence, but this is a relatively minor detail. What is important is that its purpose is to intercept private and commercial communications, and not military communications.
    [/b][/quote]
    Indeed. Good find.

To be honest. For the basic stuff or should I say basic people like me and you, their not going to probably need echelon.

And in fact, in lot of day to day cases of "private and commercial communications" crimes or incidents, Carnivore implemented on an isp network and a couple of jaz drives can cause to be much more efficient.

Echeleon is for Osama..............and they still can&#39;t find him.

7. The Drawing Room   -   #27
    A question for the Americans: I&#39;ve heard that law enforcement authorities can&#39;t open your mail without a warrant. As email is considered a legally valid form of communication, (ie. you can inform someone in writing by sending them an email) does that mean that the FBI or someone else has the right to open your (e)mail without a warrant?

8. The Drawing Room   -   #28
    shn's Avatar Ð3ƒμ|\|(7
    Originally posted by Alex H@17 March 2004 - 21:46
    A question for the Americans: I&#39;ve heard that law enforcement authorities can&#39;t open your mail without a warrant. As email is considered a legally valid form of communication, (ie. you can inform someone in writing by sending them an email) does that mean that the FBI or someone else has the right to open your (e)mail without a warrant?
    I think they technically need a court order to present to the isp of the person&#39;s email they want to intercept or read.

The best solution is to just encrypt it anyway. However, Americans can not send any type of encrypted data beyond certain U.S. borders due to encryption export laws.

9. The Drawing Room   -   #29
    kAb's Avatar Poster
    Originally posted by Alex H@17 March 2004 - 20:46
    No, but there is a system called &#39;carnivore&#39; that I believe scans for key words of suspected criminals or something to that effect.

10. The Drawing Room   -   #30
    shn's Avatar Ð3ƒμ|\|(7
    Originally posted by kAb+17 March 2004 - 22:22--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (kAb &#064; 17 March 2004 - 22:22)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin-Alex H@17 March 2004 - 20:46
    No, but there is a system called &#39;carnivore&#39; that I believe scans for key words of suspected criminals or something to that effect.[/b][/quote]
    Carnivore does not do that.

What you are talking about is Echeleon.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast