Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New Planet Discovered

How did this happen?Why now,did we get a new powerfull telescope or what?

2. The Drawing Room   -   #12
    vidcc's Avatar there is no god
    Originally posted by ziggyjuarez@17 March 2004 - 00:33
    How did this happen?Why now,did we get a new powerfull telescope or what?
    since the hubble telescope was announced to be decommisioned it's funny how all of a sudden dramatic finds are being made which prove just how valuable it really is. Could it be that the scientific community is working harder because of the short time left or perhaps these finds are not so rare but are being made public as a lever to keep hubble in service?
    Whatever the case it will be sad to see it go

it’s an election with no Democrats, in one of the whitest states in the union, where rich candidates pay $35 for your votes. Or, as Republicans call it, their vision for the future.

3. The Drawing Room   -   #13
    vivitron 15's Avatar Poster
    what they do is to look at the shape of the orbit of the planets etc that we know

now, when you consider the orbit of (say) pluto, it occasionally has a slight "dent" in it - this is caused by the gravity of another object pulling it ever so slightly off orbit. now, when you find a "large" dent off orbit, you measure where you would expect this new object to be, and look there - et voila - a new planet.
    <insert signature here>

4. The Drawing Room   -   #14
    Smith's Avatar Since 1989.. BT Rep: +1
    can i rename it?

i will call it " Myanus"

5. The Drawing Room   -   #15
    bujub22's Avatar THE GREAT
    Originally posted by TheCanuk@19 March 2004 - 16:19
    can i rename it?

i will call it " Myanus"
    call it BOB?

6. The Drawing Room   -   #16
    why isnt this big news? ive been telling people at my schoo, and nobody believes me, is this really true?

7. The Drawing Room   -   #17
    imported_GS1969
    Originally posted by bujub22+20 March 2004 - 03:02--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (bujub22 &#064; 20 March 2004 - 03:02)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin-TheCanuk@19 March 2004 - 16:19
    can i rename it?

i will call it " Myanus"
    call it BOB? [/b][/quote]
    I prefer Myanus, no wait a minute, I didn&#39;t mean... but then the ... and ... my…aw never mind...

And to the kids asking how important this is really, well it&#39;s not. As someone mentioned it&#39;s not even an official planet, if scientists still can&#39;t even agree that Pluto is a planet what chance has this pipsqueak got. If it is actually declared a planet, the only significance it will have is that kids will have to memorize a new word for their solar system unit. It’s about as important as if your friend’s cousin’s roommate’s brother bought a chocolate bar.

G
    BKK

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12