Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Internet Provider Says Stop Uploading!

Sneepboy's Avatar Poster
    Yep! I just went to their website & found the part about violations to your agreement. It is ONLY uploading and they say they are not looking but there are groups that do. When they are notified, they are required by the DMCA to notify the user of their violation.

2. File Sharing   -   #22
    I got one of these letters today, I called the lady at my ISP who is in charge of this and talked to her for a while. She was very nice. I denied having the files they accused me of having, she said that was all she needed to hear. We talked about firewalls and invasion of privacy for a bit and she was pretty cool. It would be nice if all DMCA people at ISP's were that great, but if they're not, just deny all knowledge of the file and there isn't a whole lot they can do. She flat out told me she has no way of getting into my system to see if I really removed the file or didn't have it, so all they needed was for me to say it.

This was my first letter of this sort, hopefully the last because I've blocked a ton of IP's from these types of companies, as well as got that privacy registry thing from k-lite. My only worry with that is someone will try to see what I have and not find anything, assume I'm leeching and cut me off. I'm thinking of changing my username to "IswearI'msharing!", lol.

3. File Sharing   -   #23
    Comcast is the largest broadband ISP by far and, in many areas, is the only game in town. In my case, DSL is not available because of the type of wiring between my house and the central telco office. I have a choice, then, of Comcast of Knololgy. Knology is a much smaller ISP with poorer speeds and service than Comcast. Sometimes "change your ISP" is no option.

4. File Sharing   -   #24
    Originally posted by TIDE-HSV@12 March 2003 - 22:19
    Comcast is the largest broadband ISP by far and, in many areas, is the only game in town. In my case, DSL is not available because of the type of wiring between my house and the central telco office. I have a choice, then, of Comcast of Knololgy. Knology is a much smaller ISP with poorer speeds and service than Comcast. Sometimes "change your ISP" is no option.
    I here that. My ISP is the only cable provider in the area, and we don't have DSL. If want high speed, I have one choice. I'm sure in a few more years, we'll have as many choices for broadband as with dial-up, then things will get interesting. Everyone needs some stiff competition to keep them on their toes.

5. File Sharing   -   #25
    If I had to, I could change to Knology and get far better speeds and service than dialup. However that's unusual. Several years ago, Comcast tried to buy Knology here, but the city council turned the deal down, thank god. When I saw Knology pulling cable to my utility pole, I went down and welcomed them to the neighborhood.

6. File Sharing   -   #26
    Poster
    Originally posted by TIDE-HSV@12 March 2003 - 16:19
    Comcast is the largest broadband ISP by far and, in many areas, is the only game in town.  In my case, DSL is not available because of the type of wiring between my house and the central telco office.  I have a choice, then, of Comcast of Knololgy.  Knology is a much smaller ISP with poorer speeds and service than Comcast.  Sometimes "change your ISP" is no option.
    Same thing here, Comcast (actually it's still at&t for the time being) is all we have for cable modem provider (and cable television) and we can't get DSL cause of the lines (or something like that) so it's either dialup or Comcast cable modem and I couldn't survive going back to dialup, so i'll stick with Comcast(specially since i never got a letter from them yet)...

7. File Sharing   -   #27
    kAb's Avatar Poster
    dsl is actually BANNED in our town for some reason.. i think it has something to with wanting to prevent a monopoly

god my town is so stupid

8. File Sharing   -   #28
    I wish we knew exactly what the path was - what attracts attention, why one subscriber gets a letter and thousands don't.

9. File Sharing   -   #29
    Originally posted by TIDE-HSV@13 March 2003 - 05:28
    I wish we knew exactly what the path was - what attracts attention, why one subscriber gets a letter and thousands don't.
    It was probably a random file being d/l by RIAA or something. Just bad luck that day. I'm sure I've been cought doing some type of warez activity. Having not signed up for a Comcast Email address until a couple weeks ago, I wouldn't know.

And my Comcast has DSL competition!

Torp

10. File Sharing   -   #30
    DB133
    I think most points have been covered in the postings but wanted to add one more. Unfortunally, I received my second Email from attbi ( Comcast ) for uploading a movie. The first was 6 months ago. At that time the ticket number was ~ 75,000 and now it is ~175,000. That means they have sent 100,000 Emails in the last 6 months ! My question is why is so little being said about this ?

Obviously, I won't be uploading any movies. -_-

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast