Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: A New Supertrick Installer

www.aprelium.com is Abyss Web Server, not sure why it's blocked.

I also had to add a840.g.akamai.net to my IE trusted sites to get Trend Micro's online virus scanner to work. Not sure if that was related to this installer through.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #12
    a840.g.akamai.net is on the HOSTS file apart of the ads component, but it is not among the restricted domain registry entries.

I'll see if I should remove it from any later release.
    That's the thing.... Akamai is notorious for ads, but also have numerous legit sites hosted on their servers, and I have a nice long list of their servers, but only know of few conflicts.

As for www.aprelium.com, like I said, I had to deal with a lot of HOSTS files, and the entries were making my eyes bleed.
    Must've slipped through the cracks.

I thank everyone who gives me some input. It would be so much more difficult to examine all the conflicting entries myself.

-- Xero Grid --
    <span style='color:green'>Supertrick XG Forums</span> | Supertrick XG - Your solution to ads, pop-ups, malicious code, and the rest of the garbage just floating around the web.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #13
    Expire's Avatar Problem solved...
    Originally posted by Xero Grid@5 April 2004 - 20:48
    a840.g.akamai.net is on the HOSTS file apart of the ads component, but it is not among the restricted domain registry entries.

I&#39;ll see if I should remove it from any later release.
    That&#39;s the thing.... Akamai is notorious for ads, but also have numerous legit sites hosted on their servers, and I have a nice long list of their servers, but only know of few conflicts.

As for www.aprelium.com, like I said, I had to deal with a lot of HOSTS files, and the entries were making my eyes bleed.
    Must&#39;ve slipped through the cracks.

I thank everyone who gives me some input. It would be so much more difficult to examine all the conflicting entries myself.

-- Xero Grid --
    so if i install this program i can add popups that get through it and itll block it from then on?

4. Software & Hardware   -   #14
    Essentially, yes. You can right-click on a pop-up, and look at what address it comes from (not always the same as the address bar), and add the main site name to the HOSTS file, in the same format as the other entries.

A few things to keep in mind:
    - The HOST file cannot block addresses that start with IP addresses. There is another another way to handle these. You can add the IP address into the restricted sites zone of your internet settings.

- Some pop-ups use multiple servers. The code that geberates the pop-up will be executed from one and the image will be downloaded from another. If only the image server is blocked, you will still get the pop-up and it will be blank. My file blocks many of the code execution servers.

- What&#39;s great about Supertrick is, it isn&#39;t a program, so it doesn&#39;t slow down your computer. It edits something already in your computer.

========================

About restricted sites zone:
    This is something used by Internet Explorer and IE based browsers. It shouldn&#39;t work for Mozilla-based broswers. Some examples of browsers that will work are IE, MyIE2, Avant Broswer, SlimBrowser, and the dreaded AoHell.

-- Xero Grid --
    <span style='color:green'>Supertrick XG Forums</span> | Supertrick XG - Your solution to ads, pop-ups, malicious code, and the rest of the garbage just floating around the web.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #15
    shn's Avatar Ð3ƒμ|\|(7
    Great work Xero-Grid

I&#39;ll give it a try here soon. My XP is in hiding at he moment.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #16
    My Supertrick is bigger than your Supertrick:

ed2k://|file|hosts.rar|130867|07a8fe32878f01f95bbbc186cd099b28|/

Enjoy&#33;

7. Software & Hardware   -   #17
    Maybe you shouldn&#39;t download it yet. I am almost done with a new version already.

One thing, though. Would adding a text editor be wanted... or even used? I think the OS specific shortcut should be sufficiant. I really need the installer to be as small as possible. With my current changes, it&#39;s 1 mb even. So, for now, I think I&#39;ll leave the user to either use notepad or wordpad.

-- Xero Grid --

8. Software & Hardware   -   #18
    I wouldn&#39;t include a text editor, I know I wouldn&#39;t bother with it, TextPad works for me.

Also one other entry that seems out of place in the HOSTS file is hotpop.com and www.hotpop.com. Their just a free POP email provider.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #19
    Originally posted by deathonastick@6 April 2004 - 21:51
    My Supertrick is bigger than your Supertrick:

ed2k://|file|hosts.rar|130867|07a8fe32878f01f95bbbc186cd099b28|/

Enjoy&#33;
    I didn&#39;t try to make it the biggest in the world.

I wanted it to do more than the standard supertrick. My full HOSTS file is over 2 mb, blocking well over 73,000 servers. That&#39;s enough.

Are you sure you removed all duplicates, spaces, and comments? Don&#39;t know because I didn&#39;t download it.
    I didn&#39;t download it because... (and this is gonna sounds really dumb) I have no idea how to use that link.

-- Xero Grid --

10. Software & Hardware   -   #20
    shn's Avatar Ð3ƒμ|\|(7
    Originally posted by Xero Grid@6 April 2004 - 20:56
    Maybe you shouldn&#39;t download it yet. I am almost done with a new version already.

One thing, though. Would adding a text editor be wanted... or even used? I think the OS specific shortcut should be sufficiant. I really need the installer to be as small as possible. With my current changes, it&#39;s 1 mb even. So, for now, I think I&#39;ll leave the user to either use notepad or wordpad.

-- Xero Grid --
    Well I was going to since I&#39;m on another box but if you say so, I&#39;ll wait.

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast