Page 4 of 19 FirstFirst 123456714 ... LastLast

Thread: Newsgroups guide for GrabIt

Well luckily my ISP is fine but you could take a look at...
    http://www.newsgroupservers.net/

2. Guides and Tutorials   -   #32
    Thanks REALITY. I picked one last night (100 Proof News) and the speeds so far are only half of my capabilities. My isp's maxes me out but they suck.

I'm gonna switch after this first month's membership and check out the others.

Interesting system though. I've gotta new toy

TD
    Peace of mind Findnot

No time to work out? Try Folding instead.

3. Guides and Tutorials   -   #33
    Well I caved in and got a trial subscription to giganews.

So far, all I can say is WOW. The speeds are fast and it is to 100proofnews what 100proofnews is to my isp's server.

The list for one of the groups I checked was 140mb by itself The list for the same group on 100 was only about 30mb or so.

Anyway, so far so good.

TD

EDIT:

for a music group, 100 came up with 233 results. Giga came up with 10,770.
    for a tv group, 100 came up with 56 results. Giga came up with 2,729.

The exact same groups. Don't bother with 100 proof if your in the market.

EDIT AGAIN :

I may have been mistaken about 100proofnews. It seems I had some filters on that hid many of the selections. I am trying again.
    Peace of mind Findnot

No time to work out? Try Folding instead.

4. Guides and Tutorials   -   #34
    This is a very interesting and well written guide. After reading it I wanted to try my and at Newsgroup File-Sharing, unfortunately, my ISP does not provide a Newsgroup Server. There's one thing I don't understand though; Why do I need a Newsgroup server? Shouldn't it be the individual Newsgroups problem to worry about a server to host them etc.? Am I expected to pay for a Newsgroup server? Are there any free-access servers out there?

Please clarify...
    Holding on, to let them know What's given to me. To hide behind The mask this time. And try to believe.

If I can Remember To know this will Conquer me. If I can Just walk alone And try to escape Into me

5. Guides and Tutorials   -   #35
    Free Servers are generally slow or don't have acces to binaries which is what you most likely are looking for, so if your ISP dosent have one and you've made sure by asking them directly than you will most likely have to pay for one that is worth using...

6. Guides and Tutorials   -   #36
    lee551's Avatar no soup for you! BT Rep: +5
    heres a small, problem i guess, i've noticed.

when i'm updating a group(s), i get speeds of 80-110Kb/s, which is almost my connection max, which is cool. but when i'm downloading only binaries, i never go above 50KB/s. i can have 3 d/l threads going at one time, and if i have 1 group updating and 2 binaries downloading, my speed automatically jumps to 80KB/s plus, but when that update finishes and starts to download a new binary, the speeds drops back down to usually 46KB/s.

is there something i can do to keep my speeds high no matter what?

7. Guides and Tutorials   -   #37
    vivitron 15's Avatar Poster
    you could maybe increase the number of connections you use - though this is most likely to do with the servers at the other end limiting you
    <insert signature here>

8. Guides and Tutorials   -   #38
    lee551's Avatar no soup for you! BT Rep: +5
    my ISP only allows me to use 3 download slots. and that still wouldn&#39;t explain why my speeds doubles when i update a group

9. Guides and Tutorials   -   #39
    Originally posted by lee551@18 July 2004 - 13:32
    heres a small, problem i guess, i&#39;ve noticed.

when i&#39;m updating a group(s), i get speeds of 80-110Kb/s, which is almost my connection max, which is cool. but when i&#39;m downloading only binaries, i never go above 50KB/s. i can have 3 d/l threads going at one time, and if i have 1 group updating and 2 binaries downloading, my speed automatically jumps to 80KB/s plus, but when that update finishes and starts to download a new binary, the speeds drops back down to usually 46KB/s.

is there something i can do to keep my speeds high no matter what?
    Some ISP limit their News Group speeds to half of their regular connection speed to supposedly avoid any possible congestion. As for updating groups it is normal to see peek speeds since you are only retrieving the headers for the groups at times even beyond your possible connection speed.

10. Guides and Tutorials   -   #40
    DanB's Avatar Smoke weed everyday
    Thanks for that guide Reality

Seems Pipex limit me to 4 connections though Also GrabIt doesn&#39;t display the download speed right, it was telling me 65 and Netlimiters was saying 23

Page 4 of 19 FirstFirst 123456714 ... LastLast