Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Eye Openers

BigBank_Hank's Avatar Move It On Over
    Originally posted by vidcc@7 May 2004 - 00:31
    I don't need to know why it won't start or how to fix it, i just need to know to call a mechanic.
    You called

I just hope that someone from John Kerry's campaign doesn't see this because they'll be blaming most of this on Bush for sure.

2. The Drawing Room   -   #12
    Rat Faced's Avatar Broken
    Originally posted by BigBank_Hank+7 May 2004 - 16:35--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (BigBank_Hank @ 7 May 2004 - 16:35)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-vidcc@7 May 2004 - 00:31
    I don&#39;t need to know why it won&#39;t start or how to fix it, i just need to know to call a mechanic.
    You called

I just hope that someone from John Kerry&#39;s campaign doesn&#39;t see this because they&#39;ll be blaming most of this on Bush for sure. [/b][/quote]
    Even the most rabid anti-Bush fanatic (you called?).... can&#39;t blame more than 1 or 2 on him.

An It Harm None, Do What You Will

3. The Drawing Room   -   #13
    Biggles's Avatar Looking for loopholes
    Hobbes

You will give curmudgeons a bad name.

I agree the list is a little "worthy" and will do little to resolve the problems highlighted. However, if people are going to wring their hands I would prefer that the wring them over genuine injustices so I suppose the book does serve some purpose.

Hank, although not a fan of GW I think it would be pushing the boat out a little to blame him for Tiger Woods sponsership deals. Although..... he did cut tax for the very rich....mmmm... maybe there is something to this.
    Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum

4. The Drawing Room   -   #14
    The lady produced a rambling list of disconnected "facts", taken completely out of context, and made no attempt to precipitate out the key elements of human nature which would explain why things are thus. Only from this, as a starting point, can we then move forward to solving the problems.

I lack balance? This is becoming trite.

I clearly stated that the world has problems and she is right, but I feel that her list is filled with "non-truths", sinister but vague insinuations, specious comparisons betweeen un-related topics, and absolutely baffling comments. I doubt she even knows what a greenhouse gas really is. I guarentee that she culled her "facts" from various publications and I suspect she has little knowledge about what she speaks.

Humans are selfish by nature, that is where the whole thing starts. People seem to be unable to accept that they are rich enough, powerful enough, popular enough, or secure enough to stop wanting more.
    Aren't we in the trust tree, thingey?

5. The Drawing Room   -   #15
    vidcc's Avatar there is no god
    Originally posted by hobbes@7 May 2004 - 11:42
    Humans are selfish by nature, that is where the whole thing starts. People seem to be unable to accept that they are rich enough, powerful enough, popular enough, or secure enough to stop wanting more.
    ok forgetting the authors "credibilities" and "her copy and paste" approach, can we actually talk about some of the issues please?

as i said half the battle against a problem is identifying the problem and the cause to see if we can find a cure.... you use human nature and greed as the cause (very relevent to many of the issues) so what do you think could or should be done to tackle this? or do you think it&#39;s ok as it stands? Attitudes can be changed. I realise that human nature dictates there will always be spoilers, but that doesn&#39;t mean we should just bend over and take it.

i didn&#39;t say you lack balance, i said

Hobbes, i sometimes view you as the rabbit guarding the cave in monty pythons holy grail&nbsp; however i always thought you tried to bring balance to your posts but here you seem more intent on attacking the authors credibility than the issues raised ( are you running for congress?&nbsp; ).

it’s an election with no Democrats, in one of the whitest states in the union, where rich candidates pay $35 for your votes. Or, as Republicans call it, their vision for the future.

6. The Drawing Room   -   #16
    vidcc's Avatar there is no god
    Originally posted by BigBank_Hank+7 May 2004 - 08:35--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (BigBank_Hank @ 7 May 2004 - 08:35)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-vidcc@7 May 2004 - 00:31
    I don&#39;t need to know why it won&#39;t start or how to fix it, i just need to know to call a mechanic.
    You called

I just hope that someone from John Kerry&#39;s campaign doesn&#39;t see this because they&#39;ll be blaming most of this on Bush for sure. [/b][/quote]
    Don&#39;t think I&#39;ll call you hank....I would be too worried that you attached a tracking device and hidden cameras in the car

Having trouble connecting Bush to any of these issues, they were around before he came to power, mind you he is currently the one we should be looking at to improve some of the US domestic points as would his imminent successor ( I hope )

it’s an election with no Democrats, in one of the whitest states in the union, where rich candidates pay $35 for your votes. Or, as Republicans call it, their vision for the future.

7. The Drawing Room   -   #17
    Snee's Avatar Error xɐʇuʎs BT Rep: +1
    Originally posted by vidcc@7 May 2004 - 01:34
    26 TO fly a kiwi fruit from New Zealand to the UK means five times its weight in greenhouse gases being pumped into the atmosphere.
    Eh?

A pig produces as much pollution as a car.

An&#39; I&#39;m pretty sure a human being beats that kiwi-transport in a few days.

They oughta&#39; work on their sense o&#39; proportions.

And as for the bits about religion, that&#39;s kinda&#39; on the plus-side IMO.

I mean the ones that say the MickeyDee symbol is better known...than the vatican cross an&#39; that teenagers believe in this an&#39; that but not jesus or whatever.

8. The Drawing Room   -   #18
    Well, since same problems have existed since the beginning of recorded history, the only change being the parties involved and the location of the occurance, I doubt much can be changed.

The only real way to change how the world functions is to install a unified Religion and we all accept to abide by those God sent rules. Since people view their religions as "absolute truth", it is going to be impossible to for this to happen.

Ironic that Religions were created to bring peace, but are now the major cause of strife.
    Aren't we in the trust tree, thingey?

9. The Drawing Room   -   #19
    Snee's Avatar Error xɐʇuʎs BT Rep: +1
    I don&#39;t suppose someone could explain 11 a bit better?

@hobbes: the problem with organised religion is that it digs in.
    It starts off as effectively being a way to unify people, and provide rules.

Sadly it always, or nearly always outlives it&#39;s use and becomes something that slows down development.

And to continue, religion may not be as much a tool for peace as much as a way of saying: "If you don&#39;t follow these rules, the entity in charge of the universe will get you back".

It&#39;s a way of keeping society together before it&#39;s strong enough to police itself.

Once that happens religion is redundant. It may provide some insight, or so I assume, but the rules it once set down becomes the brakes of civilization, unless religion is allowed to mutate.

This is where the organization becomes a problem, &#39;cuz now we got tradition, which means that things cannot readily be altered.

Now, I appear to have hurt my foot when taking a plunge a couple of hours ago and am off to patch it off and clean up the blood. tata

10. The Drawing Room   -   #20
    BigBank_Hank's Avatar Move It On Over
    Originally posted by vidcc@7 May 2004 - 16:30
    Don&#39;t think I&#39;ll call you hank....I would be too worried that you attached a tracking device and hidden cameras in the car
    You worried that I&#39;d slip a cd in the cd player with a subliminal message: vote for George W. Bush?

Nah not me

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast