Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Notepad, Windows Help, System Restore Wont Open

Notepad sucks. I suggest using something else. Like EditPadLite. Should be easy to find. There are other excellent replacements like Notepad2 and such. Well, I went into safemode and actually replaced Notepad.exe, but you don't have to go that far.

The Elder Geek's Guide to making a bootable Windows XP install disk slipstreamed with SP1. Unbelieveably easy.

Here's a step further, if you want. How to create an Unattended XP CD

Enjoy!

-- Xero Grid --
    <span style='color:green'>Supertrick XG Forums</span> | Supertrick XG - Your solution to ads, pop-ups, malicious code, and the rest of the garbage just floating around the web.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #12
    Chewie's Avatar Chew E. Bakke
    Originally posted by delphin460+8 May 2004 - 02:41--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (delphin460 &#064; 8 May 2004 - 02:41)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>dont both repairing , just format the whole thing and start fresh

not sure about slipstreaming , but just download a version of xp with it already done [/b]

Format/install? FFS if your car developed a misfire would you scrap it and buy another? You might not give a fuck but Rossco obviously wants to fix his problem.

Originally posted by Xero Grid@8 May 2004 - 04:59
    Notepad sucks. I suggest using something else.
    Yes, Xero, you always do recommend using something because somethiug else &#39;sucks; commonly where the &#39;sucking&#39; program has no issues and doesn&#39;t &#39;suck&#39; in the least.
    Rossco doesn&#39;t have a problem with it, so what&#39;s your point?

<!--QuoteBegin-Xero Grid
    @8 May 2004 - 04:59
    The Elder Geek&#39;s Guide to making a bootable Windows XP install disk slipstreamed with SP1. Unbelieveably easy.

Here&#39;s a step further, if you want. How to create an Unattended XP CD
    [/quote]
    Excellent links.

There&#39;s another guide HERE with links to M&#036; download pages for 2000/XP service packs.

@ atiVidia:
    Download and run HijackThis, scan your system and post the results here.
    Probably you have a malicious program of some sort running and it should show up in the results.
    I spent a total of about 7 hours sorting out a woman&#39;s computer this week and about 6 of those were trying to track down where "c.exe" and "d.exe" were being started from... one was the win.ini file but the other was an IE &#39;helper&#39; library file.
    There isn't a bargepole long enough for me to work on [a Sony Viao] - clocker 2008

3. Software & Hardware   -   #13
    Funny, Chewie. My point is, if you&#39;re using something that doesn&#39;t work, you can always try something else. I&#39;m presenting options along with an opinion. I thought that is what a forum is for.

-- Xero Grid --
    <span style='color:green'>Supertrick XG Forums</span> | Supertrick XG - Your solution to ads, pop-ups, malicious code, and the rest of the garbage just floating around the web.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #14
    Originally posted by Xero Grid@8 May 2004 - 08:37
    Funny, Chewie. My point is, if you&#39;re using something that doesn&#39;t work, you can always try something else. I&#39;m presenting options along with an opinion. I thought that is what a forum is for.

-- Xero Grid --
    We&#39;re talking about the simplest program in the Windows package not working. For Notepad to not work there must a problem, and recommending the use of something else does nothing to help with that, and that&#39;s what he&#39;s asked for, not opinions on software suitability.
    There isn't a bargepole long enough for me to work on [a Sony Viao] - clocker 2008

5. Software & Hardware   -   #15
    Originally posted by Chewie UK+8 May 2004 - 13:49--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Chewie UK @ 8 May 2004 - 13:49)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Xero Grid@8 May 2004 - 08:37

-- Xero Grid --
    We&#39;re talking about the simplest program in the Windows package not working. For Notepad to not work there must a problem, and recommending the use of something else does nothing to help with that, and that&#39;s what he&#39;s asked for, not opinions on software suitability. [/b][/quote]
    check the topic

Notepad, Windows Help, System Restore Wont Open, other thngs also not working. help pleez

it aint just his notepad Chewie UK

and yes , if there are multiple problems i do suggest a format cause its generaly easier and not as time wasting as trying to fault find , not that i am against it , but most times when there are multiple errors you just cant clean it up enough ,
    and you still end up with errors in the future

6. Software & Hardware   -   #16
    peat moss's Avatar Software Farmer BT Rep: +15BT Rep +15BT Rep +15
    Have you tryed Scannow ? The win xp system file checker.

http://www.updatexp.com/scannow-sfc.html

It has worked for me the odd time, but I perfer to format and reinstall with that many problems.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #17
    Originally posted by delphin460@8 May 2004 - 15:11
    check the topic

Notepad, Windows Help, System Restore Wont Open, other thngs also not working. help pleez

it aint just his notepad Chewie UK

and yes , if there are multiple problems i do suggest a format cause its generaly easier and not as time wasting as trying to fault find , not that i am against it , but most times when there are multiple errors you just cant clean it up enough ,
    and you still end up with errors in the future
    I know what the topic title is, but you&#39;re obviously missing the point here.

Who said it&#39;s more than one problem?
    If you think about what&#39;s happening, there&#39;s a good chance that some sort of malware is the cause.
    There are many instances of malicious programs inhibiting system configuration methods - not letting the user open Internet Properties from within IE, preventing Task Manager from opening etc.
    Just the three programs he&#39;s mentioned are indicative of this sort of &#39;attack&#39;:
    - can&#39;t open System Restore to go back to a point before the problems,
    - can&#39;t access Windows Help from where a user could use Remote Assistance,
    - Notepad, the default program for opening *.ini configuration files, closes straight away.

Starting afresh will obviously cure the problem, but reinstalling Windows is only the start - there&#39;s plenty of other stuff to do such as restoring backed upo documents, installing games and applications, configuring email client(s), tweaking Windows and not forgetting updating Windows as well.
    Fair enough, atiVidia may be willing to do that, but what if the same thing happens next week? I&#39;d be really fucked off if I had to go through that again because I didn&#39;t take the time to sort it out.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #18
    Poster
    The problem is from one of the improtant services in win xp, called WMI or something like that, make sure it is working, if it ain&#39;t working, then reinstall windows. If it is working, then I dunno.
    Click the longhorn icon to visit my website.
    <span style='color:blue'><span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:100%'> You try Everything in my/our post(s) at YOUR own risk. I/we do not take responsibily for damages, caused by the post(s). Clicking on/or modifying anything in here is not permitted. Whoever edits my sig is a pussy.</span></span>

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

9. Software & Hardware   -   #19
    atiVidia's Avatar ^would've been cool.
    u all are the most helpful bunch lol.

yes i will try all the suggestions given as well. if all else fails i will try a repair using the XP cd.

btw any1 know how to streamline sp1 into the XP cd?

10. Software & Hardware   -   #20
    atiVidia's Avatar ^would've been cool.
    <s>now ive got another problem: i cant read the winXP cd&#33; (i kno it works cuz it worked on my friends comp

ill just try a repair </s>

<s>fixed that. now i have another issue: how do i trick windows into thinking that the sp1 cd is in the comp? do i just extract the sp into a folder and enter the registry add the sp1 install path?</s>

f__k i couldnt fix it. ill just slip it and repair off the slipped xp cd. thx for the guides&#33;

lol chewie im the 1 that needs help not rossco

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast