Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: People That "get Caught"

Poster
    Switch to Filetopia. Use 448 bit Blowfish encryption to lock the ISP out of your download and upload traffic. Also set up a good SOCKS5 proxy with it. FT doesn't have very many users, but the number is growing. If you can live with just hiding your IP, use Kazaa with a SOCKS5 proxy.

2. File Sharing   -   #22
    Poster
    Also, programs like Kazaa generate a lot of traffic (especially if you're a supernode or sharing lots of files). It's unlikely that they could afford to hold on to this data for more than a few days.

3. File Sharing   -   #23
    Poster
    South Cali where the beach is warm and the babes are hott!!!
    i HAVE heard of people who share complete movies who get calls from their isp telling them to stop, and i noticed that almost all of those who have gotten letters so far are cable......

i think (maybe im wrong, its just a thought) that DSL and T1-T3 OC48 etc etc etc, since they're single private lines, not shared over a 10MB line.....(or is it 10Mbits...), that they have less chance of getting caught...

Also, as i mentioned above, it looks like the only ones who get calls from the ISP are those who are sharing whole movies, full software, OS'es, MS Office XP, etc etc etc....are the ones who get calls..

seems to me that the RIAA who whoever the fuck is doing all of this could care less about MP3's any more, hell even full albums....that's why they just have a few people put a bunch of fakes out there, instead of taking more drastic measures.....

anyways, bottom line from my point of view, if u share alot of full movies / are a supernode / are on cable, then u probably have a very high chance of getting a call from your ISP...
    other than that, I wouldn't be worried, nor am I............ B)

4. File Sharing   -   #24
    Poster
    Originally posted by Muse@16 March 2003 - 21:52
    C'mon guys you are getting paranoid.

Downloading music and movies fur personal use is not illegal (in Europe)

Sharing music and movies is illegal

So there is no need to remove your files from your harddrive at all

It's sad but beeing a Leech is safe.
    are YOU leeching?

5. File Sharing   -   #25
    MagicNakor's Avatar On the Peripheral
    It sounds rather like it, doesn't it?

If you're so worried about it, don't download/share movies. Those are what seems to get people "caught."

things are quiet until hitler decides he'd like to invade russia
    so, he does
    the russians are like "OMG WTF D00DZ, STOP TKING"
    and the germans are still like "omg ph34r n00bz"
    the russians fall back, all the way to moscow
    and then they all begin h4xing, which brings on the russian winter
    the germans are like "wtf, h4x"
    -- WW2 for the l33t

6. File Sharing   -   #26
    Poster
    There are other ways to get the things you want besides the sharman network. I remember when iBlostboy got warned. He stopped sharing on the network, but don't think for a second he isn't still getting most movies before the rest of them even know their out. Make yourself more familiar with newsgroups or direct connection sharing programs and avoid the networks where the seem to do more tracking of such activities.

7. File Sharing   -   #27
    here's something to try if you live in the states , if you get an email or letter from your ISP about downloading just call up the company and ask who ever is on the other end of the line if they can "take care of it" for you , alot of the general population downloads so its a good chance you might run into someone cool who will just "delet" your little warning from company files. arrrrg it never hurts to ask .

8. File Sharing   -   #28
    Poster
    Reduce your worries!

BLOCK MANY/MOST OF THE 'NET COPS' with PEER GUARDIAN or a software firewall that you can enter in blocked ip ranges.

You'll get messages when they TRY to connect to you (if you check the firewall's logs) and you'll be saving a little bandwidth too.

9. File Sharing   -   #29
    I agree with whats being said here i don't live in the states but in europe an i got a warning from my isp i got the email 2-3 days after the day they say i was uploading and yes uploading is all the seemed interested in but from the information they listed i think it could only have been got be someone using kazaa to get connections,view shared folder,get ip address then send this info to the unsuspecting persons isp so the privacy patch helps but if you share it they only need to connect to get the info they need.I still share they can all bollox as far as i'm concerned although if my pc is on so is peerguardian it's blocked 15 ip's so far....

10. File Sharing   -   #30
    Originally posted by Switeck@17 March 2003 - 21:27
    Reduce your worries!

BLOCK MANY/MOST OF THE 'NET COPS' with PEER GUARDIAN or a software firewall that you can enter in blocked ip ranges.

You'll get messages when they TRY to connect to you (if you check the firewall's logs) and you'll be saving a little bandwidth too.
    Speaking of which, what happened to ZeroData's BadIP site? Seems to be down all the time now, unless they switched servers and I never updated my bookmark...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast