Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Partitioning A Hdd

Originally posted by ROSSCO_2004+29 June 2004 - 11:06--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (ROSSCO_2004 @ 29 June 2004 - 11:06)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Error403@29 June 2004 - 04:31
    If you don&#39;t need Partition Magic then I advise you to stay away from it. It can really screw things up bigtime.

It is better to use a bootdisk and good old FDISK. Plenty of tutorials can be found on the internet.
    In what ways can it screw things up "big time"? [/b][/quote]
    My thoughts exactly, if you don&#39;t know what your doing, even Fdisk can screw things up bigtime
    Q6600 @ 3.42Ghz | Gigabyte EP35-DS3R | EVGA 8800GT 721/1802/2006 w/ Accelero S1 | 4gb Crucial DDR2 @ 760mhz | 750gb Hitachi 7k1000 | Corsair 520HX | 2 x Samsung SyncMaster T240 24" | Windows 7 Ultimate

2. Software & Hardware   -   #12
    Originally posted by kaiweiler@29 June 2004 - 15:36
    My thoughts exactly, if you don&#39;t know what your doing, even Fdisk can screw things up bigtime
    My dad always told me that. He was a serious &#39;puter geek.

But I used Fdisk numerous times with never a screw up.

Although, Partition Magic is definitely the way to go, especially if you&#39;re not planning on formatting the drive.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #13
    vivitron 15's Avatar Poster
    woooh, whats with hatin on error?

anyhow, be very careful when you do stuff like this - i personally use partuition magic 7 - i had 8, but it screwed up when i tried to do some basic stuff, and i lost quite a lot of data...i suspect the drive to be maybe a bit faulty, but cant be sure though

anyhow, just do everything slowly and you should be ok whichever route you take
    <insert signature here>

4. Software & Hardware   -   #14
    I agree that using partition magic can be risky. I recently had a 160 gig music partition fail that had been created using partition magic. Only ever partition an empty unformatted drive.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #15
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Originally posted by DazedAndConfused@5 July 2004 - 03:51
    I agree that using partition magic can be risky. I recently had a 160 gig music partition fail that had been created using partition magic. Only ever partition an empty unformatted drive.
    How does a partition (once created) fail?
    Using PM I have moved,deleted, resized and merged partitions without ever losing ( or, if you prefer-loosing) data.

Naturally, having said that, right now I can&#39;t get the damn program to even open...perhaps my move to SATA has confused it....but all my partitions are still healthy and in place.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

6. Software & Hardware   -   #16
    When i say it failed, i mean the operating system could not &#39;see&#39; the partition.

I merged two partitions on the slave drive to make space to store all my files from the master drive- by merging the two i would need less free space. I then deleted the existing partitions, set up new partitions, and formatted the master drive during windows installation, with the slave disconnected. Having set up windows, i reconnected the slave, expecting to find all my files, only to have windows report the disk is not formatted.

Fortunately i was able to get most of my files from friends who had copied from me previously. I tried using pm to fix the partition, but to no avail.

(loosing?)

7. Software & Hardware   -   #17
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    loosing becuase he is making fun of me.

You say that you merged partitions, then deleted them, then formatted the windows partition and installed and expected to find what files? you didn&#39;t mention copying over any files after deleting the partition.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #18
    lynx's Avatar .
    I&#39;ve had similar problems with PM. I only use it when I need to expand or contract a partition which already has data on it and I don&#39;t have space elsewhere to store the data, but I think the problems only occur when you create new partitions from scratch.

I believe it has something to do with having an extra 64 sectors at the beginning of the disk. Some OS&#39;s can use these sectors, but the disk has to be set up in a certain way. I think PM sometimes screws this up slightly, so that when you install a new OS it assumes you are NOT using those 64 sectors, so it can&#39;t see your partitions.

In contrast, Win2k, and XP ALWAYS get it right.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12