Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Please Help Me Nice People

orcutt989's Avatar Blargh
    Why does he need a 2.8 ghz processor??

2. Software & Hardware   -   #32
    Originally posted by Super Dude+2 July 2004 - 20:43--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Super Dude @ 2 July 2004 - 20:43)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-XxKrNxStyLeZxX@2 July 2004 - 18:35
    i&#39;ve been thinking...it seems that the 64bit 2800+ is about the same price as the 2.8ghz HT.....should i just go for the 64bit so he wont have to upgrade to it later on? i heard processors and programs will use this new technology pretty soon....or should i stick with the 2500+...or 2800+ which is &#036;30 more expensive....and can someone find me a case thats not plain and ugly without powersupply or fans for about &#036;30-40?? i cant seem to find one without a powersupply...
    You might want to get the Amd Mobile Athlon 64 2800+, for &#036;187 - Here - if you&#39;re looking to get an Athlon 64 CPU.It can easily be overclocked to an Athlon 64 3700+ (2.4Ghz) speeds, with good air cooling, of course.Get a Gigabyte GA-K8N-Pro for the motherboard.

Since you friend doesn&#39;t play games that much, I suppose he&#39;ll be happy with an inexpensive GF4 Ti4200.

Clocker and others have had many experiences with cases, perhaps they might enlighten you on which case you should get.Go with a Fortron 530Watt for the PSU.

And as for the LCD monitor, don&#39;t go cheap on it.You get what you pay for, and since your friend is going to watch alot of movies on it, he wouldn&#39;t want the LCD to have too much ghosting.The Viewsonic VE500 15" LCD Monitor looks impressive.It has a 16ms response time, and priced at &#036;369. [/b][/quote]
    thx for the response...im not looking to overclock it at all....so why would i need a mobile instead of the normal one? and for the LCD i think ill stick with Samsung...and i decided to go with the ATI 9600PRO which is like &#036;120....and i still cant find a case so i was thinking....how crappy are those PSU&#39;s that come with the cases already? Case with PSU

that case is &#036;50, looks pretty good, and already has a P4 Ready/AMD Approved PSU. Does this mean its a good PSU? cuz the power source i was originally gonna get is &#036;55 + i haev to find a case....I dun think he&#39;ll really NEED all this power, but maybe with all of it, he&#39;ll try some new things, like games, with it. Also, this will keep him from upgrading his computer for a while....

3. Software & Hardware   -   #33
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    "P4 ready,AMD approved" means almost nothing.
    "P4 ready" indicates that the PSU wiring loom has the 4-pin connector that Intel boards ( and some AMD boards, as well) use.
    I don&#39;t even know what you have to do to be "AMD approved".

That claim, in and of itself, is NO indication of the quality of the PSU.

Think about it...all the separate brand name units you were looking at ( even the one you dismissed as "too plain") were &#036;50 and higher.
    Now you are looking at a bundle for &#036;50 (link didn&#39;t work for me so I don&#39;t know what it was exactly)....either they are giving the case away for free with a good PSU, OR ( more likely), the quality of the PSU has been reduced to fit the price.

PSU Buyer&#39;s Guide.
    Read, learn, decide for yourself.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

4. Software & Hardware   -   #34
    hmm....dun get the "explanation"...ill just go with the thermaltake and get a cheap case....

5. Software & Hardware   -   #35
    Also, I decided to go with the 64 2800+...will the Abit NF7-S work with this? or do i need another motherboard?

6. Software & Hardware   -   #36
    XxKrNxStyLeZxX,

Not to sound crabby or anything, but there is a big difference between "helping you out" and "doing all the work for you".

You are cheating yourself out of an education by not attempting at least minimal research on your own.
    Plus, you are cheating us out of any discoveries you may make.

The Forum ( particularly Hardware World) works best when there is some give and take....

7. Software & Hardware   -   #37
    zapjb's Avatar Computer Abuser BT Rep: +3
    No cake for him.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #38
    you know what...yor right...i know ive been asking lots of questions i should have looked for.........this is all so confusing to me tho....hmmm so i found out i need a new motherboard.....can someone tell me if CHAINTECH is a good reliable company like asus or abit??? newegg.com has a great deal on it if you purchase it with the processor...

9. Software & Hardware   -   #39
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Originally posted by XxKrNxStyLeZxX@2 July 2004 - 22:27
    you know what...yor right...i know ive been asking lots of questions i should have looked for.........this is all so confusing to me tho....hmmm so i found out i need a new motherboard.....can someone tell me if CHAINTECH is a good reliable company like asus or abit??? newegg.com has a great deal on it if you purchase it with the processor...
    I&#39;ve heard that they make a couple of good boards, but the rest are crap. Therefore i wouldn&#39;t trust them.

But, as clocker says, everything you read on the internet isn&#39;t always true.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #40

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast