Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Completed List

Originally posted by Super Dude@4 July 2004 - 20:49
    Not bad .

Which LCD are you getting? Please, do read this guide before you get a LCD.

Edit: Oopsy daisy.Didn't noticed the "256 mb x2".
    hmm thx for the guide...but its like more than a year old...havent things changed since then?? shouldnt it be better now than a year ago? i'm looking to get a 15'' Samsung for about $300...but there are so many models, and i dunno which models are the newest and the best...

2. Software & Hardware   -   #12
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Aren't you working within a fairly tight budget?

"Newest and best" would be irrelevant to you if so.

"What can I get for the money I have left" is the model you are looking for.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

3. Software & Hardware   -   #13
    Originally posted by XxKrNxStyLeZxX+4 July 2004 - 22:27--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (XxKrNxStyLeZxX &#064; 4 July 2004 - 22:27)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin-Super Dude@4 July 2004 - 20:49
    Not bad .

Which LCD are you getting? Please, do read this guide before you get a LCD.

Edit: Oopsy daisy.Didn&#39;t noticed the "256 mb x2".
    hmm thx for the guide...but its like more than a year old...havent things changed since then?? shouldnt it be better now than a year ago? i&#39;m looking to get a 15&#39;&#39; Samsung for about &#036;300...but there are so many models, and i dunno which models are the newest and the best...[/b][/quote]
    It actually doesn&#39;t matter if the guide was 1 yr ago - If you read it, you would get an idea of what to look for, when looking for a quality LCD.

Samsung makes good monitors, but I don&#39;t think you&#39;d find a good 15" Samsung LCD, with a 16ms response time.Remember, your friend will be watching lots of movies, and LCDs are completely different from CRTs - you dont have ghosting effects in CRTs, but it&#39;s a different matter when it comes to LCDs - so it&#39;s important that you buy a LCD which has a 16ms or lower response time, to ensure a nice experience when watching movies.

IMO, I think it&#39;d be a waste of money, if you spent &#036;300 on a cheap 15" LCD, and get horrible ghosting effects - Either get a good high end CRT monitor, or add &#036;70 and get this 15" ViewSonic VE500 LCD monitor :

It&#39;s the best 15" LCD available at NewEgg.

Champaigne would fall from the Heavens, doors would open, girls would kill to sleep with you, your eyes will thank you.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #14
    hmm ok...clocker how do you know my psu already comes with the SATA power thing and i dun need to buy the power adapter? i dont see anything about SATA in the specs...

oh and i dunno if he&#39;ll watch that many movies....i&#39;m seeing some 24ms and stuff...would that be really bad for movies? but it would be okay for normal things right??

5. Software & Hardware   -   #15
    Originally posted by XxKrNxStyLeZxX@5 July 2004 - 06:18
    oh and i dunno if he&#39;ll watch that many movies....i&#39;m seeing some 24ms and stuff...would that be really bad for movies? but it would be okay for normal things right??
    Ok, well you said in your previous thread...

This person I&#39;m making the computer for doesn&#39;t use the computer too much and doesn&#39;t know much about it. He will only play 1 game - Need for Speed:underground, but will watch DVDs so I don&#39;t think the video card has to be that good.
    I&#39;ve read many reviews on forums by people who have had LCDs with 16 and 12ms response time - and even with those response times, there was still some slight ghosting effects.So you could imagine how 25ms response times would perform.

It&#39;s your call.

Try getting the LCD from this website, instead of NewEgg.They have an excellent "Risk Free" and RMA policy - check this out.I couldn&#39;t find the ViewSonic VE500 there, but try searching for other LCDs with at least a 16ms response time.With Monitor Direct&#39;s excellent "Risk Free" policy, you could try getting a LCD with 25ms response time - play with the monitor, watch some movies on it and if you can&#39;t handle the ghosting effects, return it, and get a better LCD.

IMO, you&#39;d save more money by gettting a 2500+ instead of the 2800+ - because you wouldn&#39;t notice any significant increase in performance anyway.And since your friend doesn&#39;t play games that much, perhaps you should consider getting a cheaper VGA card for him.Save the money for a decent LCD.

clocker how do you know my psu already comes with the SATA power thing and i dun need to buy the power adapter?
    Watch the smilies...carefully.

Clocker::

Mime:
    When you use movements of your hands and body, and expressions on your face, without speech, to communicate emotions and actions or to tell a story:

6. Software & Hardware   -   #16
    Originally posted by XxKrNxStyLeZxX@4 July 2004 - 23:18
    hmm ok...clocker how do you know my psu already comes with the SATA power thing and i dun need to buy the power adapter? i dont see anything about SATA in the specs...

Feature: Designed for AMD K7 and Intel ATX +12V 1.1 and ATX 2.03 version (Fully Support Pentium 4). Serial ATA (Advanced Technology Attachment). Peak Output : 550W. 2 adjustable manual fan speed control in the front and rear side of the case. (from 1300 rpm at 25oC~ 4800 rpm at 90oC): 1. Control in Front: 5.25" drive bay. 2. Control in Rear: PCI card slot. Temperature Automatic Fan Speed Control. Noise : 17 dBA at 1300 rpm, 45 dB at 4800 rpm. Dual fans power supply. Xaser badge on side panel. Black / Silver color printing.
    This is what tipped me off.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #17
    oooh i just found that on xpcgear or whatever .com....hmm ill tell him that he nneds to spend around &#036;400 to get a decent monitor and it&#39;ll be a good investment because he&#39;ll use it for a long time....and guess what i fouunndddd

samsung 710N

Display Colors 16.7 million
    Brightness 300 cd/m²
    Pixel Pitch 0.264 mm
    Contrast Ratio 600:1
    Viewable Screen Size 17 inches
    Display Type LCD Active Matrix TFT

annnnndddd

Response Time 12 ms

ok i see that people in pricegrabber are selling this for at least &#036;450.....buuuttttt i found a great deal i think for 380 freaking dollars(after rebate but who cares)

i think ill tell him to go with this.....

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/Se...7&Sku=S203-1708

and superedude.....i dunno what yor deal with smilies are but its COOL B)

8. Software & Hardware   -   #18
    Originally posted by XxKrNxStyLeZxX@5 July 2004 - 15:53
    oooh i just found that on xpcgear or whatever .com....hmm ill tell him that he nneds to spend around &#036;400 to get a decent monitor and it&#39;ll be a good investment because he&#39;ll use it for a long time....and guess what i fouunndddd

samsung 710N

Display Colors 16.7 million
    Brightness 300 cd/m²
    Pixel Pitch 0.264 mm
    Contrast Ratio 600:1
    Viewable Screen Size 17 inches
    Display Type LCD Active Matrix TFT

annnnndddd

Response Time 12 ms

ok i see that people in pricegrabber are selling this for at least &#036;450.....buuuttttt i found a great deal i think for 380 freaking dollars(after rebate but who cares)

i think ill tell him to go with this.....

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/Se...7&Sku=S203-1708

and superedude.....i dunno what yor deal with smilies are but its COOL B)
    Excellent choice for the LCD &#33; The price was quite shocking to me...for &#036;380, that should be the cheapest 12ms LCD around.NewEgg and other retailers are selling it for more than &#036;400, so it&#39;s a good deal.

Though, there&#39;s a 710T model - basically the specs are the same as the 710N, only difference is, the 710N is using an analog signal and the 710T, a DVI - and people who have it are saying it&#39;s one of the best LCDs out there for games.

I&#39;d say go for it, it&#39;s an excellent LCD.

Good luck

9. Software & Hardware   -   #19
    XxKrNxStyLeZxX,

See?
    Doing some research on your own DOES pay off.

I think I deserve an LCD monitor for the advice.
    Order two, please.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #20
    Originally posted by clocker@5 July 2004 - 22:37
    XxKrNxStyLeZxX,

See?
    Doing some research on your own DOES pay off.

I think I deserve an LCD monitor for the advice.
    Order two, please.

sure let me just get out the visa

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast