Thread: Computer Skipping Problems?

At my house my computer worked just fine, but then I moved it over to a friends house for a quick visit. Now when I first boot up my computer, the computer seems to skip every 5 seconds or so. When I mean skip, it freezes frames here and there. Does anyone have any idea's?

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    could be anything (most likely software related...).

Try scanning for spyware, viruses, run msconfig and disable some startup items, defragment, etc.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    lynx's Avatar .
    I bet you connected them by network?

Virus scan seems like a good idea to me too.

Edit: Alternatively, did you share a folder on his (or her) computer? If so, it could still be trying to connect that link, and you may have difficulties removing the link without being connected.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Originally posted by lynx@15 July 2004 - 21:04
    I bet you connected them by network?

Virus scan seems like a good idea to me too.

Edit: Alternatively, did you share a folder on his (or her) computer? If so, it could still be trying to connect that link, and you may have difficulties removing the link without being connected.
    :'> one time I took my computer (back when i didn't use antivirus programs) over to my friends house...hooked up to his network, no wait HIS DAD'S network, of 5 computers, and infected them all.

That was a boring night...(made me fix them all, obviously i just backed everything up and formatted them, including my own).

never took the computer over there again.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    open the pc up and cheek for any loose components.

Also, have a good look if you have any blown capacitors. I had a problem with an old pc with freezing all the time and it was a blown capacitor.