Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Mexico Vs. Brasil (soccer)

Poster
    Originally posted by manker+19 July 2004 - 01:32--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (manker &#064; 19 July 2004 - 01:32)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
    Originally posted by yonki@18 July 2004 - 23:13
    <!--QuoteBegin-manker
    @18 July 2004 - 22:37
    That&#39;s a bit harsh. I call Association Football &#39;soccer&#39; some of the time - do I sound like a gringo too? Technically since this is an international forum perhaps soccer would be a better word to use because half the traffic is generated by North Americans where the generic term &#39;football&#39; is used to denote an odd rugby type game.

That doesnt sound very logical to me (or anyone)
    Really. And how did you solicit the opinion of &#39;everyone&#39; in relation to my post?

If someone refers to soccer on this forum everyone will immediately understand that he or she means football with a spherical ball. If someone refers to Football then there will be a lot of members who will be thinking of the NFL.

Could you point out where that is illogical?[/b][/quote]
    Sure, i kinda expected you would see the "lack of logic" by yourself; anyway here it goes:

Fact #1: In the US they call it soccer
    Fact #2: In the rest of the world we call it football.

You said: &#39;...since this is an international forum...&#39;

See the conflict now? Logic goes this way => Since this is an international forum we should call it the way most people do, that is football

You also said &#39;...half the traffic is generated by North Americans...&#39; which is not a fact, just an assumption and it think its wrong.

BTW sorry if i sounded harsh but i didnt expect you to understand the word gringo.

2. Lounge   -   #22
    Cheese's Avatar Poster
    Originally posted by manker+19 July 2004 - 00:32--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (manker @ 19 July 2004 - 00:32)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
    <!--QuoteBegin-manker
    That&#39;s a bit harsh. I call Association Football &#39;soccer&#39; some of the time - do I sound like a gringo too? Technically since this is an international forum perhaps soccer would be a better word to use because half the traffic is generated by North Americans where the generic term &#39;football&#39; is used to denote an odd rugby type game.

Really. And how did you solicit the opinion of &#39;everyone&#39; in relation to my post?

If someone refers to soccer on this forum everyone will immediately understand that he or she means football with a spherical ball. If someone refers to Football then there will be a lot of members who will be thinking of the NFL.

Could you point out where that is illogical? [/b][/quote]
    I use the word &#39;soccer&#39; a lot of the time here when referring to football...just makes sense to as it avoids confusion.

It&#39;s one of my pet hates, the football-soccer argument. I just don&#39;t understand why people get their knickers in such a twist about it.

Anyhow, everyone knows it&#39;s really called Puntsphere. B)

(I&#39;ve used the Puntsphere joke 26 times now on this forum)

3. Lounge   -   #23
    worldpease's Avatar always annoying
    Im with you Manker&#33;
    I mean,
    football, I would say NFL
    soccer, I would say FIFA,

and Yonki, Don´t get me wrong,
    is just that you´re theory is
    kindda frustrating...

4. Lounge   -   #24
    Hi, Withcheese,
    long time no see...

And you are perfectly Right,
    why make a big deal out of it.
    and also.

And abaut ¨Gringo¨, It aint big deal...

And you know someting, It´s just 1 1/2 hours to the game...

I realy would like your e-mails,
    but thats just me...
    [email protected]

Pd: what do you think of my banner?

5. Lounge   -   #25
    manker's Avatar effendi
    Originally posted by yonki+19 July 2004 - 00:48--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (yonki &#064; 19 July 2004 - 00:48)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
    Originally posted by manker@19 July 2004 - 01:32
    <!--QuoteBegin-manker

Could you point out where that is illogical?
    Sure, i kinda expected you would see the "lack of logic" by yourself; anyway here it goes:

Fact #1: In the US they call it soccer
    Fact #2: In the rest of the world we call it football.

You said: &#39;...since this is an international forum...&#39;

See the conflict now? Logic goes this way => Since this is an international forum we should call it the way most people do, that is football

You also said &#39;...half the traffic is generated by North Americans...&#39; which is not a fact, just an assumption and it think its wrong.

BTW sorry if i sounded harsh but i didnt expect you to understand the word gringo. [/b][/quote]
    No, not just an assumption. At the moment the total traffic for this site stands at around 43% from North America. See for yourself here. The last time I checked it was a little higher.

You either misunderstand my point or you&#39;re being deliberately obtuse. By saying soccer 100% of the forum members will think of Puntshpere, by saying Football 43% of the forum will think of American rugby, 4% of the members will think of Aussie rules and the Irish lads may well wonder if you mean Gaelic Football. As Cheese says, it avoids confusion if you just say Soccer cause everyone gets it.

See?
    I plan on beating him to death with his kids. I'll use them as a bludgeon on his face. -

--Good for them if they survive.

6. Lounge   -   #26
    mmm mm,
    sorry,
    but it´d called
    ¨Fair Play¨, so, lets stop fighting
    and just enjoy the Game,
    and continue with the main theme...
    (not meaning to be roud)
    (refer to my last post)
    (...lol)

7. Lounge   -   #27
    You know someting,
    I was thinking of yet another
    thing,
    Just a few days ago,
    Mexico droped Argentina(multipletimes WorldChampion)
    on its back, yea, Mexico won over Argentina
    in a pretty good match (I don´t know if you saw it)

O yea, Im getting exited abaut tonight´s game.
    just 60 minutes more and it starts.

¨¨Qhe Viva Mexico
    Que Viva La Raza ¨¨ ¨MeXiCo¨ ¨MeXiCo¨ ¨MeXiCo¨

8. Lounge   -   #28
    manker's Avatar effendi
    Originally posted by worldpease@19 July 2004 - 01:33
    You know someting,
    I was thinking of yet another
    thing,
    Just a few days ago,
    Mexico droped Argentina(multipletimes WorldChampion)
    on its back, yea, Mexico won over Argentina
    in a pretty good match (I don´t know if you saw it)

O yea, Im getting exited abaut tonight´s game.
    just 60 minutes more and it starts.

¨¨Qhe Viva Mexico
    &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; Que Viva La Raza ¨¨&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; ¨MeXiCo¨ ¨MeXiCo¨ ¨MeXiCo¨
    Worldpease, I&#39;m going to watch the game too and I hope Mexico win&#33; Your enthusiasm is infectious, I didn&#39;t care about the outcome before reading all your green words.

edit: I think the game is on Sky TV for anyone in the UK btw.
    I plan on beating him to death with his kids. I'll use them as a bludgeon on his face. -

--Good for them if they survive.

9. Lounge   -   #29
    You go Manker,
    That´s the way to talk, lol...

In fact, thats what i was going to tell you,
    Its abaut to star, so, Im gonna see it now,
    but if some of you can´t see it,
    I´ll try to keep you posted to the minute Ok?,

(Manker, are you from UK?)

10. Lounge   -   #30
    <span style='color:green'><span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'><span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>Dam It&#33;
    It isn´t fair.
    Brazil 1, Mexico 0 Min 29
    </span>

Un fair penalty kick</span></span>

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast