Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Another Excuse For People Who Dont What They're

Cheese's Avatar Poster
    Originally posted by SingaBoiy+29 July 2004 - 05:09--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (SingaBoiy &#064; 29 July 2004 - 05:09)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
    Originally posted by Withcheese@28 July 2004 - 13:14
    <!--QuoteBegin-TheRealDave
    @28 July 2004 - 22:07
    when GTA first came out i think there was a big disbute about it.. SA is 18+ so the parents will be held responsable.. what rating is manhunt?

Manhunt is rated 18+ so wtf was a 17 year old doing with it?

Another case of a bad parent blaming everyone but themselves.

btw Manhunt is crap.
    No. It is rated Mature. Thats 17+

EDIT: ATM, I am hooked on NCAA Football 2005... that doesnt make me wanna go out and play for Stanford. There are very few instances like this and knows if its related to the games. On CSI they had a show were this girl lured this guy out to a consturction site where she and a few friends murdered the guy with hammers. Maybe he got a hold of that episode. There is no way of telling he did it cause he was &#39;obsessed&#39; with the game. Unless he actually confesses that [/b][/quote]
    Sorry Sing but the game is actually rated 18+ by the BBFC (British Board of Film Classification) in the UK so here he should not have had the game.

Game blamed for hammer murder

The parents of a boy who was murdered with a claw hammer by a friend have blamed a violent video game which the teenage killer was "obsessed" with.
    Warren Leblanc, 17, repeatedly stabbed 14-year-old Stefan Pakeerah after luring him to a Leicester park to steal from him on 27 February.

He pleaded guilty to murder at Leicester Crown Court on Wednesday.

Stefan&#39;s mother described Leblanc, who confessed to police moments after the assault, as "inherently evil".

Video game &#39;obsession&#39;

Stefan&#39;s mother, Giselle, a research nurse, had to leave court when the evidence in the case became too harrowing.

Following the hearing she said her son&#39;s killer had mimicked a game called Manhunt, developed by Edinburgh-based Rockstar North, in which the players score points for violent killings.

Manhunt was banned six months ago in New Zealand by censorship officials.
    Mrs Pakeerah said: "I heard some of Warren&#39;s friends say that he was obsessed by this game.

"To quote from the website that promotes it, it calls it a psychological experience, not a game, and it encourages brutal killing.

"If he was obsessed by it, it could well be that the boundaries for him became quite hazy."

Mrs Pakeerah, 36, called for violent video games to be banned.

Covered in blood

She said: "I can&#39;t believe that this sort of material is allowed in a society where anarchy is not that far removed.

"It should not be available and it should not be available to young people."

I don&#39;t play these games but if they are influencing kids to go out and kill people then you don&#39;t want them on the shelves
    Patrick Pakeerah, victim&#39;s father

Leblanc, of Braunstone Frith, Leicester, persuaded his victim to go to nearby Stoke Woods Park, known locally as The Dumps - to meet two girls.

The court heard how he armed himself with a knife and claw hammer to carry out the attack.

He confessed to the killing moments later when he was found covered in blood by two police officers.

Outside court Stefan&#39;s father, Patrick, said: "They were playing a game called Manhunt.

"The way Warren committed the murder is how the game is set out - killing people using weapons like hammers and knives.

"There is some connection between the game and what he has done."

Game ban

Echoing his former partner, the civil servant said: "I don&#39;t play these games but if they are influencing kids to go out and kill people then you don&#39;t want them on the shelves."

When police discovered Stefan, they found he had sustained horrific and fatal injuries.

The boy had been hit so hard with the hammer he had suffered deep cuts to his head and neck. His head had been fractured in several places.

He had multiple stab wounds, with the knife being plunged so deep that it had caused serious injuries to his kidney and liver.

A spokesman for the Entertainment and Leisure Software Publishers&#39; Association said: "We sympathise enormously with the family and parents of Stefan Pakeerah.

"However, we reject any suggestion or association between the tragic events and the sale of the video game Manhunt.

"The game in question is classified 18 by the British Board of Film Classification and therefore should not be in the possession of a juvenile.

"Simply being in someone&#39;s possession does not and should not lead to the conclusion that a game is responsible for these tragic events."

Judge Michael Stokes QC said Leblanc had carried out "a brutal, cold-blooded murder" and could expect a life sentence.

Sentencing was adjourned for reports.
    @All: And as Chris Rock said after the Columbine killings, "Whatever happened to just being crazy? Parent&#39;s gotta blame someone." (I paraphrase).

2. Games   -   #12
    Originally posted by Withcheese+28 July 2004 - 23:57--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Withcheese @ 28 July 2004 - 23:57)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
    Originally posted by SingaBoiy@29 July 2004 - 05:09
    Originally posted by Withcheese@28 July 2004 - 13:14
    <!--QuoteBegin-TheRealDave
    @28 July 2004 - 22:07
    when GTA first came out i think there was a big disbute about it.. SA is 18+ so the parents will be held responsable.. what rating is manhunt?

Manhunt is rated 18+ so wtf was a 17 year old doing with it?

Another case of a bad parent blaming everyone but themselves.

btw Manhunt is crap.

No. It is rated Mature. Thats 17+

EDIT: ATM, I am hooked on NCAA Football 2005... that doesnt make me wanna go out and play for Stanford. There are very few instances like this and knows if its related to the games. On CSI they had a show were this girl lured this guy out to a consturction site where she and a few friends murdered the guy with hammers. Maybe he got a hold of that episode. There is no way of telling he did it cause he was &#39;obsessed&#39; with the game. Unless he actually confesses that
    Sorry Sing but the game is actually rated 18+ by the BBFC (British Board of Film Classification) in the UK so here he should not have had the game.

Game blamed for hammer murder

The parents of a boy who was murdered with a claw hammer by a friend have blamed a violent video game which the teenage killer was "obsessed" with.
    Warren Leblanc, 17, repeatedly stabbed 14-year-old Stefan Pakeerah after luring him to a Leicester park to steal from him on 27 February.

He pleaded guilty to murder at Leicester Crown Court on Wednesday.

Stefan&#39;s mother described Leblanc, who confessed to police moments after the assault, as "inherently evil".

Video game &#39;obsession&#39;

Stefan&#39;s mother, Giselle, a research nurse, had to leave court when the evidence in the case became too harrowing.

Following the hearing she said her son&#39;s killer had mimicked a game called Manhunt, developed by Edinburgh-based Rockstar North, in which the players score points for violent killings.

Manhunt was banned six months ago in New Zealand by censorship officials.
    Mrs Pakeerah said: "I heard some of Warren&#39;s friends say that he was obsessed by this game.

"To quote from the website that promotes it, it calls it a psychological experience, not a game, and it encourages brutal killing.

"If he was obsessed by it, it could well be that the boundaries for him became quite hazy."

Mrs Pakeerah, 36, called for violent video games to be banned.

Covered in blood

She said: "I can&#39;t believe that this sort of material is allowed in a society where anarchy is not that far removed.

"It should not be available and it should not be available to young people."

I don&#39;t play these games but if they are influencing kids to go out and kill people then you don&#39;t want them on the shelves
    Patrick Pakeerah, victim&#39;s father

Leblanc, of Braunstone Frith, Leicester, persuaded his victim to go to nearby Stoke Woods Park, known locally as The Dumps - to meet two girls.

The court heard how he armed himself with a knife and claw hammer to carry out the attack.

He confessed to the killing moments later when he was found covered in blood by two police officers.

Outside court Stefan&#39;s father, Patrick, said: "They were playing a game called Manhunt.

"The way Warren committed the murder is how the game is set out - killing people using weapons like hammers and knives.

"There is some connection between the game and what he has done."

Game ban

Echoing his former partner, the civil servant said: "I don&#39;t play these games but if they are influencing kids to go out and kill people then you don&#39;t want them on the shelves."

When police discovered Stefan, they found he had sustained horrific and fatal injuries.

The boy had been hit so hard with the hammer he had suffered deep cuts to his head and neck. His head had been fractured in several places.

He had multiple stab wounds, with the knife being plunged so deep that it had caused serious injuries to his kidney and liver.

A spokesman for the Entertainment and Leisure Software Publishers&#39; Association said: "We sympathise enormously with the family and parents of Stefan Pakeerah.

"However, we reject any suggestion or association between the tragic events and the sale of the video game Manhunt.

"The game in question is classified 18 by the British Board of Film Classification and therefore should not be in the possession of a juvenile.

"Simply being in someone&#39;s possession does not and should not lead to the conclusion that a game is responsible for these tragic events."

Judge Michael Stokes QC said Leblanc had carried out "a brutal, cold-blooded murder" and could expect a life sentence.

Sentencing was adjourned for reports.
    @All: And as Chris Rock said after the Columbine killings, "Whatever happened to just being crazy? Parent&#39;s gotta blame someone." (I paraphrase). [/b][/quote]
    Oh yea, forgot this is a UK story.
    Need a cheap/easy way of modding your xbox? Check this out.

3. Games   -   #13
    I have been following this story in the English press for a while now.
    It was on the News last night and the victims Mother has said she&#39;ll
    sue Rockstar for "Negligence". Now I&#39;m not a Barrister but HOW ???

Fuckin&#39; American compensation culture strikes again - we must
    BLAME someone for anything bad happening. I have every sympathy
    for the Mother but she should stop taking the fucking piss&#33;&#33;&#33;

When will the blame game end???
    Signature removed

4. Games   -   #14
    Cheese's Avatar Poster
    Why did they parent allow a minor to have this game? Surely she won&#39;t be able to sue a company for "negligence" when it is her role as parent and guardian to ensure that her son is not open to unsuitable material.

FFS own up, you used the Playstation as a replacement babysitter and you fucked up.

How come she didn&#39;t notice this supposed growing obsession with this game before something bad happened and done something about it? Why isn&#39;t the commpany that made the claw hammer being blamed?

I hate this type of shit, makes my blood boil...

5. Games   -   #15
    Snee's Avatar Error xɐʇuʎs BT Rep: +1
    I blame the people who made the hammer.

They should have put a label that said "not for bashing in skulls" on there.

6. Games   -   #16
    ahctlucabbuS's Avatar <
    Originally posted by MicroScreen2@28 July 2004 - 23:06
    why does someone always have to ruin it for us. this time its Warren Leblanc&#39;s fault.

this kid attacked some other kid with a hammer, facing a charge of murder his mum decides to blame it on him playing manhunt.

you&#39;re better off reading the news page thingy >>> http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/leicest...ire/3934277.stm

now hippies are calling to get the game banned . ya&#39;ll better hope they dont stop san andreas
    There will always be troubled individuals out there.

Manhunt might have been an eliciting factor, who knows.

It couldn&#39;t have been the only reason though.

So, instead of blaming a game (which I guess could juast as easy have been a movie, CD

or some other influential source) the parents should look elsewhere for blame
    IMO.

7. Games   -   #17
    it doesnt take a game to remind you to use a weapon. i think had i been crazy and wanted to kill someone for a laugh i would have used a hammer too, failing a machete anyway

quick&#33; lock me up before the lines get blurred
    <span style='color:black'>websites that are actually good</span>
    http://www.sputnik7.com - music videos &amp; short films &amp; anime
    http://www.atomfilms.com - more short films
    http://www.howstuffworks.com - learning can be fun
    http://www.caedes.net - probably the best wallpapers on the net

8. Games   -   #18
    ahctlucabbuS's Avatar <
    why does someone always have to ruin it for us. this time its Warren Leblanc&#39;s fault.
    This sentence put me off though. Noone have ruined it for us. Blaming an axe murderer for ruining something as pointless as gaming just doesn&#39;t seem right.

Warren Leblanc ruined the lives of many people, he didn&#39;t ruin gaming.

9. Games   -   #19
    Originally posted by Barky@29 July 2004 - 18:34
    This sentence put me off though. Noone have ruined it for us. Blaming an axe murderer for ruining something as pointless as gaming just doesn&#39;t seem right.

Warren Leblanc ruined the lives of many people, he didn&#39;t ruin gaming.
    he has if san andreas gets banned
    <span style='color:black'>websites that are actually good</span>
    http://www.sputnik7.com - music videos &amp; short films &amp; anime
    http://www.atomfilms.com - more short films
    http://www.howstuffworks.com - learning can be fun
    http://www.caedes.net - probably the best wallpapers on the net

10. Games   -   #20
    Orange_Boy's Avatar Metal Head
    They even tried to bann counter strike, doom just because they have these games in there bedroom or home, what if they saw a war film say saving private ryan and the person shot some one with a ww2 rifle would they blaim the movie no they would probley blaim a game sad people who try and blaim some thing if its 18&#39;s then only 18+ are aloud to play it so parents are wrong
    Coming Soon!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast