Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Urgent Help Needed!

Sounds to me like a lot of work trying to find all those files. I would probably be able to redo the computer from scratch a lot quicker.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #12
    exo_body's Avatar Poster
    yeah it might be quicker to redo the whole computer, but i will try out them programs to see if they work ok and are able to identify the correct files and programs later tonight when this online scan is finished. its been going for quite a while now, still aint done though. its the symantec one, anyone know any good online virus scanners i could use?

thanks for all your help by the way people, i really appreciate it

3. Software & Hardware   -   #13
    uNz[i]'s Avatar Out of order
    This may be worth a try... Do the duplicate files/folders have (1) added to the filename?
    If so, just go to start menu>search, and try searching for *(1)* in all files and folders.

That should bring all the duplicate files up, then you can just select a bunch at a time and delete 'em.

See Rossco's pinned tweaking and security guide for some online AV scanners.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #14
    exo_body's Avatar Poster
    you are a genius...lol, every file has (2) on it, so did the search there now and it found 8455 files!lol, do you think i should chance it and delete them all?

5. Software & Hardware   -   #15
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Originally posted by exo_body@30 July 2004 - 11:41
    you are a genius...lol, every file has (2) on it, so did the search there now and it found 8455 files!lol, do you think i should chance it and delete them all?
    delete a few and see what happens.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #16
    BawA's Avatar FST Pioneer BT Rep: +1
    this system restore thing never worked for me, it always miss up everything.
    use norton ghost for backing up,

"You can be mad as a mad dog at the way things went; you can swear and curse the fates, but when it comes to the end, you have to let go"
    Benjamen button

7. Software & Hardware   -   #17
    uNz[i]'s Avatar Out of order
    Originally posted by exo_body@31 July 2004 - 02:11
    Glad I could make myself useful.
    But a genius? Nahhh... anybody would've thought of it sooner or later.

Yeah.. I agree with what Rossco said. Trash a few and see how it goes. Just don't delete all the dupes at once, it'll probably crash the PC.
    And tread very lightly if you're going to delete duplicate files in any of the Windows folders.

Edit: Oh, and if you manage get rid of most or all the duplicates, I strongly suggest you run a defragger asap.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #18
    atiVidia's Avatar ^would've been cool.
    u realize u can undo system restores right?

9. Software & Hardware   -   #19
    exo_body's Avatar Poster
    lol,i thought to frig with it and i deleted the 8 thousand and what ever others were there and so far.....everythings fine! but i havnt turned the pc off and booted up again yet, so that might hold a few surprises i dunno. my uncle seems convinced that i have a virus, but cant find it. i know a while ago i had a trojan, but deleted it (Kaspersky found it) but dunno if that has anything to do with it. im more curious now about why it actually happened. the weird thing is, is that it didnt duplicate folders, jus what was inside, if you know what i mean. like there was only one "EA Sports" folder in"programs" but the contents within it were duplicated. yet it didnt create doubles of any word doc's. any one have any ideas what might have happened??

and atiVidia, i tried to restore it back but the copied files were still all there

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12