Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Raptor

clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Originally posted by lynx@31 July 2004 - 05:25

Sata drives in general are only slightly more expensive than their PATA equivalents, and that is probably simply because they haven't got as big a market share yet. But the Raptor's equivalent is a SCSI drive, and is consequently much more expensive than similar sized IDE drives.
    True.

When building the server for my brother both SATA and SCSI were considered.
    SATA won out simply because of the cost...with the onboard SATA RAID capability of the NF7-S we didn't need a separate controller card ( not to mention Raptors were on sale at Newegg this month...).

@Angel,
    The Raptors don't support SMART monitoring of the temps ( at least the 74GB version doesn't, the 36GB might...we'll see).
    Mounted as they were in the server, heat wasn't an issue at all.

@all....
    I don't think that artificial benchmarks are a very informative method of comparing the drives.
    A quick Google search will reveal all the statistics you could hope for.

What I'm interested in a few simple tests to measure how useful the Raptor might be to the regular home user.
    Stuff like "Does it boot noticably faster?" or something.

In other words, is it worth the extra bucks for the Raptor or is this just a case of bragging rights?

I'll be building the second server for my brother in the next few weeks.
    As he will be out of the country for a month I'm hoping to play with it a bit before he returns.
    Maybe I can set up a RAID 0 array with XP on it and see if striped set is a noticable improvement over a single Raptor.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

2. Software & Hardware   -   #12
    bigdawgfoxx's Avatar Big Dawg
    I have heard from other people that a raid0 with 2 raptors is increadible. Stuff loads so much faster and everything boots faster...I was very impressed, I hope you like it man.

Edit: Sata Drive I just saw some of these on newegg, SATA has went down some. 80 gigs for 65 bucks...nice.

Whole Page
    [SIZE=1]AMD 4200 X2 @ 2.65Ghz, ASRock 939-VSTA
    1.75GB PC3200, 2 X 160GB Seagate w/ 8MB Buffer
    HIS Radeon X800 Pro, Antec Super Lanboy Aluminum

3. Software & Hardware   -   #13
    Storm's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +3
    ive heard that to........ but we'll need actual figures........ it might just be going faster cause they think it will go faster

and not all SATA drives are raptors........

the SATA you linked to is a 'normal' 7200rpm HDD, a raptor is a 10k rpm HDD........
    great FTP site for awesome quality video clips
    yeah, you have to sign up, but its worth it

4. Software & Hardware   -   #14
    bigdawgfoxx's Avatar Big Dawg
    Originally posted by Storm@31 July 2004 - 08:56
    ive heard that to........ but we'll need actual figures........ it might just be going faster cause they think it will go faster

and not all SATA drives are raptors........

the SATA you linked to is a 'normal' 7200rpm HDD, a raptor is a 10k rpm HDD........
    yeah I know, I was just pointing out that we can get SATA for very cheap now lol
    [SIZE=1]AMD 4200 X2 @ 2.65Ghz, ASRock 939-VSTA
    1.75GB PC3200, 2 X 160GB Seagate w/ 8MB Buffer
    HIS Radeon X800 Pro, Antec Super Lanboy Aluminum

5. Software & Hardware   -   #15
    Virtualbody1234's Avatar Forum Star BT Rep: +2
    Hey, clocker. Could you tell us how loud those drives are?

I don't know if you have tried the Barracuda 7200.7 Plus which are almost silent. I would like to know how they compare sound level wise.

Also, why did you choose the 74GB vs the 36GB?

6. Software & Hardware   -   #16
    Originally posted by Virtualbody1234@31 July 2004 - 17:06

I don't know if you have tried the Barracuda 7200.7 Plus which are almost silent. I would like to know how they compare sound level wise.

Also, why did you choose the 74GB vs the 36mb?
    36Mb Hard drive?

Woooooooooooooooooh im in the 80's

7. Software & Hardware   -   #17
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Originally posted by Virtualbody1234@31 July 2004 - 11:06

Also, why did you choose the 74GB vs the 36GB?
    Sure...be happy to.
    Indeed, I have installed a Seagate HDD on my sister's PC and it was extremely quiet.
    I was impressed.

The Raptors in the server I built seemed quiet, but the fans were rather loud so I can't really say.
    I'll know better when I install mine in Sprocket.

I chose the 36GB simply because that was the one available.
    I bought it used ( 1 month old) from a member of the OC.com forum.
    For $75 ( shipping included) it seemed like a good deal.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

8. Software & Hardware   -   #18
    Poster
    SATA HDDs being faster than their PATA counterparts is debatable, considering:

... it's not built around a truly native serial ATA interface. Simply put, the WD Raptor is based on parallel interface technology employing a simple serializer/deserializer (SERDES) chip to convert PATA into SATA. You can tell immediately from the Marvell chip at the back of the drive that it's based on that technique.
    (http://www.hardwarezone.com/articles/view....d=10&id=731&pg=)

9. Software & Hardware   -   #19
    lynx's Avatar .
    Originally posted by Amarjit@3 August 2004 - 10:54
    SATA HDDs being faster than their PATA counterparts is debatable, considering:

... it's not built around a truly native serial ATA interface. Simply put, the WD Raptor is based on parallel interface technology employing a simple serializer/deserializer (SERDES) chip to convert PATA into SATA. You can tell immediately from the Marvell chip at the back of the drive that it's based on that technique.
    (http://www.hardwarezone.com/articles/view....d=10&id=731&pg=)
    That may be true about other SATA drives, but in the case of the Raptor that quote (from hardwarezone) is total bullshit.

The Raptor is based on a SCSI drive, which is why the capacities are 36 and 74 GB - standard SCSI sizes. The interface speed of the equivalent SCSI drive is 320 MB/s, 2.5 times faster than the best current PATA interface. It may have a simple serdes chip, but the underlying technology is not PATA.

Don't you just love it when these so-called hardware experts show themselves up?
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #20
    Poster
    My assumption was that the Western Digital Raptor is an Ultra160 SCSI HDD.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12