Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 1234512 ... LastLast

Thread: Well It's Democracy

vidcc's Avatar there is no god
    Originally posted by spinningfreemanny@4 August 2004 - 17:35

What about tax status?
    same as hetro couples...the point is that it's discriminating.

@ busy

With you 100%..to the point where i feel government at all levels should not be able to outlaw in a discriminatory manner...it goes against everything the USA is supposed to stand for.

I think it's fine for anyone, even the government to use their religious beliefs to conduct their own lives, but not to conduct the lives of others.

it’s an election with no Democrats, in one of the whitest states in the union, where rich candidates pay $35 for your votes. Or, as Republicans call it, their vision for the future.

2. The Drawing Room   -   #12
    Originally posted by spinningfreemanny+4 August 2004 - 18:45--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (spinningfreemanny @ 4 August 2004 - 18:45)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Arm@5 August 2004 - 00:38
    Democracy dont work. At least not in this country.
    You can always move to China... [/b][/quote]
    Hmm...you spout the merits of changing other countries to our brand of democracy yet if someone from our own country challenges our own you suggest they leave...... interesting

it’s an election with no Democrats, in one of the whitest states in the union, where rich candidates pay $35 for your votes. Or, as Republicans call it, their vision for the future.

3. The Drawing Room   -   #13
    spinningfreemanny's Avatar I'm everything you want
    Originally posted by vidcc+5 August 2004 - 01:36--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (vidcc @ 5 August 2004 - 01:36)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
    Originally posted by spinningfreemanny@4 August 2004 - 18:45
    <!--QuoteBegin-Arm
    @5 August 2004 - 00:38
    Democracy dont work. At least not in this country.

You can always move to China...
    Hmm...you spout the merits of changing other countries to our brand of democracy yet if someone from our own country challenges our own you suggest they leave...... interesting [/b][/quote]
    Seriously vidcc; buy a sense of humor.

Its my simple belief that the United States is the best country in the world...apparently you have a problem with that.

Ahh well; You can go ahead and move to China, and thats said with a perfectly straight face.

@Arm; You better tell the millions lining up to get into this country that its not what its cracked up to be.
    Do you know everything? do you know 3% of everything? Could it be that what you don't believe in is in the other 97%?

4. The Drawing Room   -   #14
    Arm's Avatar Poster
    Millions lining up to get into this country? When? Americas economy is in the toilet. Immigrations down and alot of the Indian high-tech workers left. Ill tell all the Indians to go to Mexico like what my moms husband/my stepdad wanna go. It&#39;s hot and blantly corrupt just like India. B)

5. The Drawing Room   -   #15
    spinningfreemanny's Avatar I'm everything you want
    Dang; I can&#39;t keep out of an arguement on this board...lol

We&#39;re entering the 14th straight month of economic growth, The lowest interest rates in decades (I just got a house for under 5% interest...How great is that?), and productivity has grown in the last three years in more then half a decade...not exactly a economy in the toilet.

I just visited Mexico City this last May; believe me, it&#39;s not pretty.

I live in Arizona; people are literally killing themselves in order to get into this country.
    Do you know everything? do you know 3% of everything? Could it be that what you don't believe in is in the other 97%?

6. The Drawing Room   -   #16
    Originally posted by Arm@5 August 2004 - 04:51
    Millions lining up to get into this country? When? Americas economy is in the toilet. Immigrations down and alot of the Indian high-tech workers left.
    Come on Arm, reality check time. Let&#39;s not go off the deep end.

As Manny said, and living in South Texas, I can verify, people are literally killing themselves to get in the US.

Did you know that for foreign doctors, if they want to practise here, they must be completely retrained. So if a fully qualified Indian neurosurgeon wants to work here, he must repeat 7 years of residency and THEN must somehow convince the US government that he is exceptional and should be allowed to practice in the US.

Imagine going to Canada and they ask you to repeat k-6 grades. That is called a major disincentive. Guess what, they are coming in droves to do this.

We still have a decent country, perhaps you need to travel the world, as I have, to appreciate what you&#39;ve got.

Sounds to me like an attitude adjustment would do your whole world-view a great benefit.
    Aren't we in the trust tree, thingey?

7. The Drawing Room   -   #17
    Poster
    If gay couples (male or female) wish to have a ceremony where they make promises towards one and other and have this witnessed by a registrar and friends, then the best of luck to them.

They should then get the same legal rights as any other couple, the same tax breaks pension rights etc should be available.

If it makes them happy to describe themselves as married, fine by me it&#39;s only a word after all.

8. The Drawing Room   -   #18
    in response to the first post (havent read the rest yet)

marriages were invented to keep couples commited for the sake of the children. Even for hetrosexuals these days marriage is pointless because society accepts divorce as an everyyday thing for couples who fell out of love or whatever reason with no regards for the welfare of the children. in this light i cant really say i&#39;m dead set against same sex marriage but its pointless IMO because i believe same sex parents are immoral cos the kids will get bullied and wont learn about proper family life.

before anybody brings it up i think its disgusting to justify a possible generation of broken kids so the next generation can have same sex couples as the norm.
    <span style='color:black'>websites that are actually good</span>
    http://www.sputnik7.com - music videos &amp; short films &amp; anime
    http://www.atomfilms.com - more short films
    http://www.howstuffworks.com - learning can be fun
    http://www.caedes.net - probably the best wallpapers on the net

9. The Drawing Room   -   #19
    Biggles's Avatar Looking for loopholes
    This topic has been well aired before.

However, Arm did raise an interesting point re: the tyranny of the majority.

It is the tyranny of the majority that persecutes Christians in Iran. It was the tyranny of the Christian majority that burned Pagans at the stake. A truly civilised country is not one where the majority get to do what they like to a minority but rather where the rights of all individuals are respected equally, getting to elect the government comes second imho.

Marriage is failing because the people who are married don&#39;t want to be. To blame another Group who does want to be married is frankly insane.

On a separate note I have never really understood the breast-beating accompanied by a certain type of patriotism. I am a Scot, it is in my blood, I belong to the land of my fathers. It does not matter to me whether Scotland is the "greatest country" in the world or not. It is simply where my heart is. I would expect a Greek or a French person or an American to feel the same. For any to claim to be "best" sounds like insecurity.

Would it not be fair to say that many of those who seek to live in the USA are exhibiting cupboard love (which according to my daughter is under-rated). They come, they work and they stick to their own language and send the money home. This is different to the settlers of the 19th and early 20th century who saught a new life as Americans. I appreciate that there are still immigrants of the latter sort too. However, economic migration has nothing to do with values or lifestyle and everything to do with putting bread on the table without a hand grenade coming through the window.
    Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum

10. The Drawing Room   -   #20
    Originally posted by MicroScreen2@5 August 2004 - 13:26
    in response to the first post (havent read the rest yet)

marriages were invented to keep couples commited for the sake of the children. Even for hetrosexuals these days marriage is pointless because society accepts divorce as an everyyday thing for couples who fell out of love or whatever reason with no regards for the welfare of the children. in this light i cant really say i&#39;m dead set against same sex marriage but its pointless IMO because i believe same sex parents are immoral cos the kids will get bullied and wont learn about proper family life.

before anybody brings it up i think its disgusting to justify a possible generation of broken kids so the next generation can have same sex couples as the norm.
    interesting idea about the invention of marriage.

I would like to address the children being beaten up point...... This only happens because of discriminatory and biggoted ethics taught to the children that do the beating.

Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 1234512 ... LastLast