Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Overclocking Problems

clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Zero...two things...

One...I assume you ran a full suite of benchmark tests before you began so you can tell if you are actually getting anywhere?
    After all, just making the chip run faster is pretty silly if you aren't seeing much benefit from it.

Two...I'm not familiar with Intel CPU/mobos, but with my AMD platform there are lots of hacked/modified BIOS available that (supposedly) address issues present in the stock BIOS that might inhibit OCing.
    I have had mixed success using them, but it's worth looking into.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

2. Software & Hardware   -   #22
    abu_has_the_power's Avatar I have cool stars
    Originally posted by lynx@6 August 2004 - 04:00
    I'll agree with abu on some points, and disagree on others.

Yes, you need to change the cpu:ram speed ratio so that you aren't overclocking your ram (yet). If the option is available you also need to look at AGP/PCI speed to make sure you aren't overclocking this too. It is simply a case of altering the speed of one thing at a time in order to get the best performance out of everything.

Increasing Vdimm, how will this help OCing? Well if you aren't OCing your ram it won't help a bit, but it will make your ram a bit hotter, and generally warm things up in your case. However, remember about it for later. Once you've got the processor stable at high speed you will want to try to put the cpu:ram speed ratio back to 1:1. However, I don't think that should be a problem with your pc4000 memory, it should be able to run at 250MHz as standard.

Don't worry about voltage readings in CPUZ and MBM5, the onboard sensor chips aren't that accurate anyway. They are really only useful as a rough guide if things are a long way off spec.

Interesting to note that Abu's memory is overvolted to 1.65v. All the memory I've come across recently runs at about 2.5v (nominal), which makes me think that maybe he's not talking about Vdimm after all. He could be talking about Vio which would make more sense and might have the effect he's talking about, but I've never seen a board where you could adjust this.
    wtf? i'll have to look into that vdimm thing. maybe i remembered wrong. but all i know is, before i increased vdimm, running my comp at 3.2 with ram at 320 will cause it to not post. after i increased a tiny bit, it posts and has been stable for bout 6 months now. ok, maybe it wasn't 1.6v, some other #. forgot. havn't been in my bios settings for a very long time

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123