Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Raid 0 Suxxx

Virtualbody1234's Avatar Forum Star BT Rep: +2
    Nice new avatar, lynx. B)

2. Software & Hardware   -   #12
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Originally posted by Virtualbody1234+8 August 2004 - 17:39--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Virtualbody1234 @ 8 August 2004 - 17:39)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-SingaBoiy@8 August 2004 - 11:37
    You coulda bought it, transfered the data, then took it back.
    That&#39;s not my style. [/b][/quote]
    my dad would have done it.
    he&#39;s the master at, umm, "buying-then-returning"

hey i was in quebec 2 days ago. How far is montreal from hull?

3. Software & Hardware   -   #13
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Thanks, lynx.

So there is no way to monitor the status of both drives, eh?
    Bummer.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

4. Software & Hardware   -   #14
    Virtualbody1234's Avatar Forum Star BT Rep: +2
    Originally posted by ROSSCO_2004+8 August 2004 - 21:17--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (ROSSCO_2004 @ 8 August 2004 - 21:17)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
    Originally posted by Virtualbody1234@8 August 2004 - 17:39
    <!--QuoteBegin-SingaBoiy
    @8 August 2004 - 11:37

That&#39;s not my style.

hey i was in quebec 2 days ago. How far is montreal from hull? [/b][/quote]
    About an hour and a half drive.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #15
    that&#39;s why you need to buy 4 hard drives, so you can make a RAID 0+1 setup. first two drives = stripe RAID, second two drives = backup of the stripe RAID.

i woulda never recommended using a stripe RAID for a PC. if you&#39;re running a dedicated server or a professional workstation, with absolutely no important personal files on it... then go ahead and knock yerself out. but for a PC? nah, not a good idea.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #16
    I guess you could call it,* live and learn*

7. Software & Hardware   -   #17
    lynx's Avatar .
    Originally posted by clocker@9 August 2004 - 04:25
    Thanks, lynx.

So there is no way to monitor the status of both drives, eh?
    Bummer.
    Have you looked at "Silicon Image ATA Controllers" in Control Panel?

That seems to go down to hardware level with one drive, I&#39;m not sure what info it gives in a raid situation but it is worth a look. I actually posted all this before but you must have missed it. I was surprised that you hadn&#39;t responded then.

I also found this:
    SiI3x12A: Serial ATA (SATA) Windows RAID Driver - Released

NEW – Version 10032 of the SiI3x12 Windows RAID driver is now logo-certified for Windows 2003 Server.

The latest Windows RAID driver for the SiI3x12A SATA Controller chip (3x12A_x86_win_rdrv-xxxxx.zip) can be downloaded from the links on the right.&nbsp; These drivers support Windows 98SE/ME/NT/2000/XP.&nbsp; Windows 95 is not supported.

Please NOTE that these are the latest GENERAL drivers that are available from Silicon Image. Some motherboard or add-in card makers may post versions with later revision numbers than the one shown here, but those are written specifically for their designs and are not intended for general use.

The latest version of Silicon Image SATARAID RAID Manager software is also attached on the right.

Comments/Special Instructions:
    Preparing a &#39;Silicon Image SiI 3x12 Raid Driver Installation Disk&#39;

Follow these instructions if you are creating a diskette containing the Silicon Image SiI 3x12 Raid driver.

1. Format a blank floppy diskette.

2. Use WinZip or a similar utility to unzip the Driver Zip file (3x12A_x86_win_rdrv-xxxxx.zip).Make sure you use the rdrv file and NOT the SATARAID file. The SATARAID file is the Windows RAID Manager GUI. It is not the RAID driver and will be too large to fit on a floppy. If it does not fit on a floppy, you are using the wrong file.

Note the last bit, Windows RAID Manager GUI, this must be what you are looking for.

Edit: tried it, I think the Java_RAID_GUI-113.zip is the file you need.

@3RA1N1AC - have you ever tried a raid 5 setup? That gives striping with distributed parity with only 3 drives - one drive can fail and the system still works. Cheaper than Raid 0+1, and often faster depending on implementation.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #18
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Originally posted by Virtualbody1234+9 August 2004 - 00:28--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Virtualbody1234 @ 9 August 2004 - 00:28)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
    Originally posted by ROSSCO_2004@8 August 2004 - 21:17
    Originally posted by Virtualbody1234@8 August 2004 - 17:39
    <!--QuoteBegin-SingaBoiy
    @8 August 2004 - 11:37

That&#39;s not my style.

hey i was in quebec 2 days ago. How far is montreal from hull?
    About an hour and a half drive. [/b][/quote]
    hmm, compared to all the driving i&#39;ve been doing the past 2 weeks, that&#39;s nothing. shoulda gone.

oh well maybe next year or something.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #19
    Originally posted by lynx@9 August 2004 - 05:50
    @3RA1N1AC - have you ever tried a raid 5 setup? That gives striping with distributed parity with only 3 drives - one drive can fail and the system still works. Cheaper than Raid 0+1, and often faster depending on implementation.
    haven&#39;t tried it, but yeh i have read some explanations whilst poking around.

i was just commenting on the basic uselessness of striping for home/office use. people seem so dazzled by the "wow, cool" aspect and potentially misleading bench test results on gung-ho "performance at all costs" hobby sites that they ignore the part about RAID 0 increasing one&#39;s risk of complete data loss.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #20
    muchspl2
    herd good things about raid 5
    my next system will be it
    form what I understand if one drive fails you can fix it & even if 2 drives fail you can fix it

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast