Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What is the difference between..?

Izagaia's Avatar Her angel of darkness
    Beyond midnight, near you, in darkness...
    Quote Originally Posted by spirex
    I have no trouble getting dvd+r to work on my playstation 2. There are a bunch of different versions of the playstion 2 out. I have the V9 and its unmodded. Plus it even said on the box that it can read dvd+r/rw.
    Well, off subject... I recently tried creating a copy of a PSX2 title using a +R/+RW disk. My Playstation2 (model SCPH-30001), would not recognize the disk as a PSX or PSX2 title.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #12
    keyser_soze's Avatar Poster
    For ref I have never had any ps2 game work on anything other than -r discs on different ps2's but thats only my own personal experiance.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #13
    bigboab's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    Recordable DVD drives

Unfortunately unlike recordable CD drives there are many different competing standards for creating DVD discs. For example DVD-R, DVD-RW, DVD+R, DVD+RW, DVD+R DL (DVD+R9), and DVD-RAM are all different competing standards. Below is a brief explanation of each of these standards and related links to each of these standards.

DVD-R

Short for Digital Versatile Disc-Recordable, DVD-R is similar to the idea behind CD-R, where the drive is capable or recording once to a disc and then read many times after it has been created. DVD-R is an approved standard by DVD Forum and the drives are capable of recording to DVD-R discs also known as DVD-5 and DVD-10 discs.
    Note: DVD-R discs are compatible with most stand alone DVD players and computer DVD-ROM drives.

DVD-RW (DVD-R/W)

Short for Digital Versatile Disc-Read/Write, DVD-RW is an approved standard by DVD Forum and much like CD-RW is a technology that enables a user to read and write to a DVD-RW or DVD-R disc several times. DVD-RW drives are capable of recording to a DVD-R and DVD-RW discs also known as DVD-5 and DVD-10 discs.
    Note: DVD-RW discs are compatible with most stand-alone DVD players and computer DVD-ROM drives.

DVD+R

Short for Digital Versatile Disc-Recordable, DVD+R is an approved standard by the DVD+RW Alliance and much like CD-R and DVD-R is a technology that enables a user to read and write to a DVD+RW or DVD+R disc several times. DVD+RW drives are capable of recording a DVD+R discs also known as DVD-5 and DVD-10 discs.
    Note: DVD+R discs are compatible with most stand-alone DVD players and computer DVD-ROM drives.

DVD+RW

Short for Digital Versatile Disc-Read/Write, DVD+R is an approved standard by the DVD+RW Alliance and much like CD-RW and DVD-RW is a technology that enables a user to read and write to a DVD+RW or DVD+R disc several times. DVD+RW drives are capable of recording a DVD+R and DVD+RW discs also known as DVD-5 and DVD-10 discs.
    Note: DVD+RW discs are compatible with most stand-alone DVD players and computer DVD-ROM drives.

DVD+R DL (DVD+R9)

Short for Digital Versatile Disc-Recordable Dual Layer, DVD+R DL is an approved standard by the DVD+RW Alliance and almost doubles the capacity a DVD when compared with the DVD+R or DVD+RW discs also known as DVD-9 and DVD-18 discs.
    Note: DVD+R DL discs are compatible with most stand-alone DVD players and computer DVD-ROM drives.

DVD-RAM

Short for Digital Versatile Disc-Random Access Memory, DVD-RAM drives are an approved standard by the DVD+RW Alliance and are similar to CD-RW in that they enable users to read and write to a disc several times.
    Note: Unlike competing standards of DVD recordable discs DVD-RAM discs cannot be read in the majority of stand-alone DVD players and computer DVD-ROM drives.
    Dont know if this is any help.
    The best way to keep a secret:- Tell everyone not to tell anyone.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #14
    Quote Originally Posted by Izagaia
    Well, off subject... I recently tried creating a copy of a PSX2 title using a +R/+RW disk. My Playstation2 (model SCPH-30001), would not recognize the disk as a PSX or PSX2 title.
    Did you have a modchip ?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12