Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456

Thread: martial arts in schools

A curriculum for gym?

LOL Talk about micromanagement.

Overstepped his authority?

Bit dramatic? It is called improvisation. Sometimes a gym teacher will just try something new. Physical activity is physical activity.

You have made a mountain out of a molehill and are missing the forest for the trees.

Besides parental notes are necessary for all activities that occur outside of normal school hours and because the activity has a potential for physical harm. I see no reason for a parental consent for this activity.
    Last edited by hobbes; 10-16-2004 at 09:54 PM.
    Aren't we in the trust tree, thingey?

2. The Drawing Room   -   #52
    vidcc's Avatar there is no god
    They have a set list of activities and benefits and it's quite clear on the point of safety and what is acceptable as contact sports...they also have a policy of imformation. The school discusses ALL aspects of education.
    Physical Self defense lessons are along the same lines as religious teaching...they are the parents responsibility...But lets make the mountain...would you feel the same if the lesson was shooting?

tell me...if my daughter was to kick someone in school and break their ribs, who would you think would be held responsible? Do you think the school wouldn't be calling us to a meeting about my childs behaviour?... i've always told her it's wrong to hit... would it be my failure if she now does?

It's easy to pass out theory as a non parent, you hold no responsibility for that advice. If the kid does something wrong you just blame the parent

well i tell you what...when you have your own children you'll see how things happen

it’s an election with no Democrats, in one of the whitest states in the union, where rich candidates pay $35 for your votes. Or, as Republicans call it, their vision for the future.

3. The Drawing Room   -   #53
    So when she starts throwing rubber balls at the other kids, do you think this means she is going to do this outside of gym?

Kids will misbehave and punch and kick and pull hair, but this arises from conflict, not spontaneously because they kicked in gym class.

Your daughter is just as likely to kick things because she learned how to kick a rubber ball playing kickball.

You have taught her that violence is wrong, kicking in gym class is not violence, it is play. Why would she start violently kicking kids outside of class, particularly when it is taught as a kick in self defense.

You seem to think that not having kids is somehow significant, I think your premise is false.

4. The Drawing Room   -   #54
    Comic_Peddler's Avatar Poster
    Why don't we just go ahead and ask Japanese schools how well they do concerning this as most schools there have martial arts classes beginning pretty much as soon as the children enter school?

5. The Drawing Room   -   #55
    kicking a ball is not kicking a person.

Do you really not see any possible confusion in a 5 year old when the instructor tells her to kick him in the belly? do you not see any confusion between the fun she had kicking the instructor in the belly and the wrongness of kicking others outside the gym?
    Do you really not think that such an activity should be down to parental consent?
    Kids will misbehave and punch and kick and pull hair, but this arises from conflict, not spontaneously because they kicked in gym class.
    Well the kids were kicking each other on the school bus home....is it coincidence that it was the first time it's happened? They were playing not fighting. Again i ask who you think will be called if a childs ribs are broken? you may think that it doesn't encourage such behaviour but it certainly isn't discouraging it.
    Remember this is a 5 year old, not a 10 or 15 year old, and no matter what you suggest they don't look at life the same way as adults do. Kids will do what they think they can get away with...even the most well adjusted children. Alone they are angels...together...well you know all about mob mentality...

it’s an election with no Democrats, in one of the whitest states in the union, where rich candidates pay $35 for your votes. Or, as Republicans call it, their vision for the future.

6. The Drawing Room   -   #56
    With this I will sign off. Gonna go for a run and then have some Bar-B-Que. Ya'll be sure to turn the lights out when your done.

7. The Drawing Room   -   #57
    Quote Originally Posted by Comic_Peddler
    Why don't we just go ahead and ask Japanese schools how well they do concerning this as most schools there have martial arts classes beginning pretty much as soon as the children enter school?
    This isn't japan

8. The Drawing Room   -   #58
    Comic_Peddler's Avatar Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by vidcc
    This isn't japan
    May be why they look down on us lesser races :-P

9. The Drawing Room   -   #59
    Quote Originally Posted by Comic_Peddler
    May be why they look down on us lesser races :-P
    Perhaps in the same way we don't understand countries that ban guns..

but in response (and i appologise for the short rebuttal) Martial arts are not just about physical contact, they are about self dicipline, meditation, focus and wisdon etc.

here we had a one lesson course that was probably more about getting kids to want join the actual karate school than anything else so they had the kids kick the instructor in the belly...which would be fun.
    Japan is a different culture and the kids would be raised with differing disiplines from birth...

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456