Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Heritage or Modernity?

I'm glad you brought us a fresh topic.

It seems this forum is in the midst of a last minute political barrage before the election. As a person who really doesn't like the whole subject of politics, because anyone who attempts to seek political power should be barred from holding it for this very reason.

All a bunch of liars.

As to your topic, I don't know.

The "modern" must always be allowed, but it sometimes doesn't work, and stands there looking like a orphaned piece of doo-doo. When it does, it becomes "classic", just a different period.
    Aren't we in the trust tree, thingey?

2. The Drawing Room   -   #12
    Rat Faced's Avatar Broken
    Quote Originally Posted by hobbes
    I'm glad you brought us a fresh topic.

It seems this forum is in the midst of a last minute political barrage before the election. As a person who really doesn't like the whole subject of politics, because anyone who attempts to seek political power should be barred from holding it for this very reason.

All a bunch of liars.

I've said this for years

An It Harm None, Do What You Will

3. The Drawing Room   -   #13
    vidcc's Avatar there is no god
    both have their own qualities however i don't like the two mixing. A modern building next to a traditional building makes both look bad, but seperately they can have their own charms

an example, although the modern building holds little charm
    Last edited by vidcc; 10-19-2004 at 09:53 PM.

it’s an election with no Democrats, in one of the whitest states in the union, where rich candidates pay $35 for your votes. Or, as Republicans call it, their vision for the future.

4. The Drawing Room   -   #14
    ElvisLover's Avatar Gepper #1

Nonsuch Park was once the site of a Tudor Royal Palace. One can only imagine what Nonsuch Park would be like today if the palace had not been demolished hundreds of years ago.

Below is a short history of Nonsuch Palace and in addition if you click on the image of King Henry Vlll you can find out more of the story of Nonsuch by following the 'Nonsuch Walk' on the map.

A Short history of Nonsuch Palace

King Henry VIII began to build Nonsuch Palace on 22 April 1538, the thirtieth anniversary of his accession. The King's advisors chose a site then occupied by the village of Cuddington, with its church and manor house. These were cleared away and the owners compensated. Within two months of work beginning, the name 'Nonsuch' first appears in the building accounts. The structure was perhaps substantially complete by January 1541, but the decorations of the outside walls, which were to be the fame of Nonsuch and the explanation of Henry's purpose in its creation, were still in progress five years later. By November 1545 the work had cost £24,536 - half as much again as was spent at Hampton Court in the same period. When Henry died on 28 January 1547, the palace was still unfinished, but what little remained to be done was completed by Henry Fitzalan, twelfih earl of Arundel, after his purchase of the palace from the crown in 1556. Elizabeth I regained Nonsuch in 1592. It remained in Royal hands (apart from the Commonwealth) until 1670, when Charles II gave it to his erstwhile mistress, Barbara Villiers, created Baroness Nonsuch, Duchess of Cleveland. She demolished the palace in 1682-3 and broke up the parks. The site was excavated in 1959.
    I have this a 5 minute walk down the road

5. The Drawing Room   -   #15
    Poster
    I would like to visit a lot of the places talked about here. Makes me realize the antiques I collect aren't very old in the overall scope of things.

In that vein, of the homes here in America, I always lean toward the older ones which seem to have more character somehow. More interesting little nooks and crannies,, I guess.

Modern buildings are all right, I suppose. I am just more attracted by the older ones.

Thanks for this thread, Brenda.

6. The Drawing Room   -   #16
    vidcc's Avatar there is no god

"Stonehenge..... before that there was woodhenge and before that strawhenge....but a big bad wolf blew them down and the three little piggies were relocated to the projects".

You have an excelent sense of humour if you know which comedian that was quoted from

it’s an election with no Democrats, in one of the whitest states in the union, where rich candidates pay $35 for your votes. Or, as Republicans call it, their vision for the future.

7. The Drawing Room   -   #17
    brenda's Avatar Reborn again BT Rep: +3
    I live near to England's biggest theme park, Alton Towers, it dates back as far as the 8th century when it was a fortress held by Ceolred, King of Mercia.

It's gardens were opened to the public in 1860 and it became a theme park in the 1970's when I remember visiting it with my parents and grandparents.

It is now a site that manages to incorporate both ancient beauty and mystery and roller-coaster insanity, for me it is a place that holds a host of memories. Although it is quite sad that it has become so much like Disneyland, if it wasn't for the revenue that it receives I am sure that the gardens would have been lost long ago.

Check out these photos of it.... its amazing!

The gardens
    The rides
    This fate is worse than death. Condemned to live out existence in a vessel incapable of sustaining my true glory. How am I to function with such limitation? - Illyria

8. The Drawing Room   -   #18
    MagicNakor's Avatar On the Peripheral
    I much prefer antiquity. Bet no one could have seen that coming.

I get to work in a heritage building too. What fun!

things are quiet until hitler decides he'd like to invade russia
    so, he does
    the russians are like "OMG WTF D00DZ, STOP TKING"
    and the germans are still like "omg ph34r n00bz"
    the russians fall back, all the way to moscow
    and then they all begin h4xing, which brings on the russian winter
    the germans are like "wtf, h4x"
    -- WW2 for the l33t

9. The Drawing Room   -   #19
    Rat Faced's Avatar Broken
    In Newcastle, most modern buildings are OK...

Personally, i still prefer our older ones though, as i said.. even in the Middle of winter..

and even with Modern Art trying to blend in

An It Harm None, Do What You Will

10. The Drawing Room   -   #20
    Mathea's Avatar The Blonde Alibi BT Rep: +5
    Quote Originally Posted by Rat Faced

]
    thats really really pretty

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast