Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Your Opinions Please

Busyman's Avatar Use Logic Or STFU!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by vidcc
    If one must use labels ....

I don't believe in God but i would never tell someone that does believe that they are wrong..... one of us has to be wrong and i am not so arrogant as to think it's not me.....Although i doubt it
    Curious...who or what do you think made you?

Why do plants breath in CO2 and out oxygen?

Why do we do the converse?

Hmm I would have either figured you as an agnostic or simply not professing a particular religion. Very interesting albeit illogical.
    Silly bitch, your weapons cannot harm me. Don't you know who I am? I'm the Juggernaut, Bitchhhh!

Flies Like An Arrow, Flies Like An Apple
    ---12323---4552-----
    2133--STRENGTH--8310
    344---5--5301---3232

2. The Drawing Room   -   #12
    Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr JP Fugley
    Only those with convictions can be tolerant.
    I liked that. Thanks, JP. Those are the exact words I was searching for.

3. The Drawing Room   -   #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr JP Fugley
    Only those with convictions can be tolerant.
    It sounds good.

What does it mean though?
    Silly bitch, your weapons cannot harm me. Don't you know who I am? I'm the Juggernaut, Bitchhhh!

---12323---4552-----
    2133--STRENGTH--8310
    344---5--5301---3232

4. The Drawing Room   -   #14
    manker's Avatar effendi
    I thought I'd heard that quote before, it must have been on a film or something but it appears that it is also used as a mantra for extreme right wing groups to justify their beliefs and to belittle more liberal folk.

I believe it is likening tolerance to apathy. As already posted this is clearly not the case, I too believe that to be tolerant often requires a great deal of conviction. Particularly if what you are tolerant of goes against the grain.

@ Busyman - plants produce oxygen when they photosynthesize, when it is dark they respire just as we do. There are other, natural, chemical reactions that also contribute to the CO2/oxygen equilibrium. I think science can provide logical answers to the questions you pose.
    I plan on beating him to death with his kids. I'll use them as a bludgeon on his face. -

--Good for them if they survive.

5. The Drawing Room   -   #15
    vidcc's Avatar there is no god
    @busy

I believe in the big bang theory as a possibility and evolution...nature finds a way. Just as insects build immunity to pesticides so did life find a way to exist with what was available.
    As to the plant/animal gas question, that's the way with nature...it evolves into balance. This is easy to observe with the effects of mans exploitation
    There are animals at the bottom of the ocean that don't breathe oxygen.

If you are asking what came "before" i don't have the answer, but by the arguement that a "creator" made it.....i have to ask what made the "creator"?

I'm not looking for explainations or debate. There are reasons why i came to my conclusion that are personal to me.

it’s an election with no Democrats, in one of the whitest states in the union, where rich candidates pay $35 for your votes. Or, as Republicans call it, their vision for the future.

6. The Drawing Room   -   #16
    Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Busyman
    It sounds good.

What does it mean though?

What it means to me is that the test of 'true' tolerance is having strong convictions, but being tolerant of others.........even though you feel strongly about an issue yourself.

I think it is going to be important in uniting the citizens of the United States after the election that the new President have this 'true' tolerance.
    Last edited by Everose; 11-01-2004 at 06:58 PM.

7. The Drawing Room   -   #17
    Biggles's Avatar Looking for loopholes
    The strong can afford to be kind. It is the weak that fear others. Fear leads to irrational and cruel behaviour. imho

On a slightly more complex level, this is a classic example of a meaningless soundbite. On face value it appears to make sense, but in truth it bears no scrutiny. It confuses tolerance with both weakness and doubt. It is perfectly possible to believe one is correct without compromise of that belief and yet still be prepared to tolerate others. Inability to tolerate others is in fact a weakness not a strength. It says more about that individual's lack of confidence to put his views to the touch than it does about the wrongness of other viewpoints.

Again, imho
    Last edited by Biggles; 11-01-2004 at 08:15 PM.
    Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum

8. The Drawing Room   -   #18
    Biggles's Avatar Looking for loopholes

Do you think so? I fancied it was rather trite.
    Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum

9. The Drawing Room   -   #19
    Quote Originally Posted by manker
    @ Busyman - plants produce oxygen when they photosynthesize, when it is dark they respire just as we do. There are other, natural, chemical reactions that also contribute to the CO2/oxygen equilibrium. I think science can provide logical answers to the questions you pose.
    No shit.

It's mighty convenient though, ain't it.

---12323---4552-----
    2133--STRENGTH--8310
    344---5--5301---3232

10. The Drawing Room   -   #20
    Quote Originally Posted by vidcc
    @busy

I believe in the big bang theory as a possibility and evolution...nature finds a way. Just as insects build immunity to pesticides so did life find a way to exist with what was available.
    As to the plant/animal gas question, that's the way with nature...it evolves into balance. This is easy to observe with the effects of mans exploitation
    There are animals at the bottom of the ocean that don't breathe oxygen.

If you are asking what came "before" i don't have the answer, but by the arguement that a "creator" made it.....i have to ask what made the "creator"?

I'm not looking for explainations or debate. There are reasons why i came to my conclusion that are personal to me.
    It's cool.

Something set it all in motion....the bang and all.

---12323---4552-----
    2133--STRENGTH--8310
    344---5--5301---3232

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast