Thread: Bush Seeks Limit to Suits Over Voting Rights

ruthie's Avatar Poster
    Talk about voter fraud. Does this administration actually think we are going to buy this bridge?

They are saying "that only the Justice Department, and not voters themselves, may sue to enforce the voting rights set out in the Help America Vote Act, which was passed in the aftermath of the disputed 2000 election. "

How is anybody supposed to trust John Ashcroft and the Justice Dep't. to protect an individual's right to vote? They are setting civil rights back by years. I guess I could surmise that Bush and his cronies are getting pretty paranoid about the election...losing it, that is. This is absolutley shocking, and I think if Bush "wins", (I mean is hand picked) again, there are going to be non stop protests and riots. How is anyone able to trust the whole process, when we already have reports of planned voter intimidation, faulty machines, etc.? This country's justice system and office of the presidency is one corrupt monster machine
    Still, the issue may resurface and prove significant next week if disputes arise over voter qualifications. Some election-law experts believe the administration has set the stage for arguing that the federal courts may not second-guess decisions of state election officials in Ohio, Florida or elsewhere.

J. Gerald Hebert, a former chief of the department's voting-rights section, said he was dismayed that the government was seeking to weaken a measure designed to protect voters.

"This is the first time in history the Justice Department has gone to court to side against voters who are trying to enforce their right to vote. I think this law will mean very little if the rights of American voters have to depend on this Justice Department," said Hebert, who worked in the voting-rights section from 1973 to 1994.
    truthout
    Don't read what isn't there.

anywhichway

2. The Drawing Room   -   #2
    Rat Faced's Avatar Broken
    I have no idea what this measure means... so i cant comment at the mo.

I'll read it later, im too tired at the mo

An It Harm None, Do What You Will

3. The Drawing Room   -   #3
    ruthie's Avatar Poster
    Putting Ashcroft and the Justice Dep't. in charge of who can contest a vote is like putting a fox in charge of the henhouse. Ashcroft is part of the Bush regime...where is there any fairness in this?
    Don't read what isn't there.

anywhichway

4. The Drawing Room   -   #4
    bujub22's Avatar THE GREAT
    i was sent an e amil about this 2 weks ago and i believe it's jus wrong

that's y this morning i voted kerry

5. The Drawing Room   -   #5
    cpt_azad's Avatar Colonel
    Quote Originally Posted by bujub22
    i was sent an e amil about this 2 weks ago and i believe it's jus wrong

that's y this morning i voted kerry
    shhhh, don't tell us who u voted for or else it won't come true lol, I wouldn't be surprised if Bush "won" again, if that's what "won" is defined as nowadays (post-2000)

Jeff Loomis: He's so good, he doesn't need to be dead to have a tribute.