Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bought a new PC :)

Afronaut's Avatar Xenu
    Quote Originally Posted by Virtualbody1234
    I guess that would depend on the season or the building's heating/cooling system.
    In my hometown, we get easily 25c. on July and -25c on January.
    The changes are huge.

The humidity is the main thing that pisses me off, it can get really dry
    on winter, which ultimately make changes on my hardware (guitars).

I have to do a lot of extra tweaking on setups because of that.

But yeah, I've noticed the PC running hotter on summertimes,
    but that all depends how warm you keep your flat.
    In some summerdays, one has the 25c no matter what (well, maybe air condition, but not too many folks has it)
    and in winter if one tryes to save Electricity or Wood from not warming so much
    (like I do) the temperature in the rooms can go down to 18ish, or even more.

I wonder if the humidity affects the PC somehow so much that it would have to be taken to consideration, i doubt it thought.
    Last edited by Afronaut; 11-07-2004 at 10:59 AM.
    Spoiler: Show

2. Software & Hardware   -   #12
    Robert00000's Avatar Interweb Fantasist BT Rep: +1
    Just thought if i'd be able to OC to 4 ghz , but have to intention to keep it oc'd for long.

Its amazing how little noise the system makes compared to my athlon xp 2000+ (which this replaced). The low noise level alone justifies buying from a large manufacturer over self-build IMO

The athlon xp system i built myself made a huge racket even with relatively quite fans.
    Robert00000

3. Software & Hardware   -   #13
    Quote Originally Posted by rossco_2004
    peerxy, why are you so against it yet you wrote a guide on ocing.
    I think that people who buy a pc brand new and it coems with 128mb graphics card (so its automatically the best out there) and 1gb of ram (even though it could be super slow) shouldnt jump into OCing. And why OC a brand new pc that you havnt even tested at all and risk losing your brand new pc?

People should only OC if they have looked into it, know what parts they need and are aware of the risks. I would say Robert00000 was hoping to go into the BIOS find where it says 3.0GHz and push that to like 4GHz and then go play some Doom3 all happy with himself. Not considering side effects, cooling and so on.

@Robert00000 - no offence ment.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #14
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert00000

The low noise level alone justifies buying from a large manufacturer over self-build IMO

The athlon xp system i built myself made a huge racket even with relatively quite fans.
    In my experience the "low noise level" of most manufactured boxes is the result of having marginal cooling capabilities.
    No fans=no noise.

This minor annoyance may be offset by the ability to fry eggs on the roof of your case however.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #15
    Quote Originally Posted by clocker
    In my experience the "low noise level" of most manufactured boxes is the result of having marginal cooling capabilities.
    No fans=no noise.

This minor annoyance may be offset by the ability to fry eggs on the roof of your case however.
    When you self build you try anbd get the best proformance, when you buy from a shop they try and get as much money as possible and cut corners like fans and good heatsinks.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #16
    Robert00000's Avatar Interweb Fantasist BT Rep: +1
    Quote Originally Posted by clocker
    No fans=no noise.

Actually the cooling is more sophisticated than that, the fan increases in speed only when i'm doing movie encoding or something else that puts a serious demand on the processors capabilities.

The PSU is only 300 Watts and even when the fan is working really hard it still makes minimal noise.

I think a lot of people have systems that are overtly noisy to illustrate the percieved power of their system. This new system is much powerfuller than the athlon xp i had yet it makes about 1/5 of the noise.

I've also owned a compaq system for many years and it also makes very little noise, and is the most reliable system i've had.
    Last edited by Robert00000; 11-07-2004 at 07:25 PM.
    Robert00000

7. Software & Hardware   -   #17
    Poster
    the case materials also contribute to how much noise your pc makes. I had a prebuild dell a while ago and it made zero noise....but when i put it into a new case, it started making a ton of noise...this could be due to the side panel fan grills that allow me to hear the cpu fan itself or the case doesnt keep as much noise in due to its weak non heavy metal construction like the dell.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12