Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Converting VHS

I am not sure if this post is more relevant to this forum or to Software froum.

Anyway: I want to convert my VHS movies onto computers.

Whats the easiest approach. Do I need aditional hardware / software??

Can u point me to a relevant guide.

regards

2. Movies & TV   -   #2
    trajillo's Avatar Fitter Happier
    heres a good site:
    http://www.dvcentral.org/

but i would just get a firewire card and just output you VCR to a Minidv tape using a digital video camera and then import using firwire to your computer ..

3. Movies & TV   -   #3
    Quote Originally Posted by reminder
    I am not sure if this post is more relevant to this forum or to Software froum.

Anyway: I want to convert my VHS movies onto computers.

Whats the easiest approach. Do I need aditional hardware / software??

Can u point me to a relevant guide.

regards
    you need a capture card, or an external capture device that connects to the computer by FireWire or USB2. a device containing a "hardware MPEG encoder" is preferable because it'll relieve the computer's CPU of a lot of the work and provide a smoother capture.

your options are to capture the video straight to MPEG, which requires a lot of processing power, and hence why a decent-quality hardware MPEG encoder is the better choice... or capture to uncompressed AVI (which takes up much more hard drive space initially) and then convert to MPEG so it'll fit onto CD/DVD (which adds a lot of time to the process). try videohelp.com and doom9.net for a whole slew of guides about capturing and encoding/converting. i think videohelp.com might have user reviews of capture devices, as well.

if all that ends up sounding too complicated, you may wanna consider just spending a few hundred U.S. dollars on a "set top" DVD recorder: one that's connected to your TV/VCR/Cable. that's prolly the quickest, simplest way to digitize your VHS tapes.
    Last edited by 3RA1N1AC; 11-12-2004 at 11:53 AM.

4. Movies & TV   -   #4
    trajillo's Avatar Fitter Happier
    yer wat he said

5. Movies & TV   -   #5
    question: to put the mpeg onto dvd, does it need to be in mpeg2 format?

6. Movies & TV   -   #6
    Quote Originally Posted by angelique
    question: to put the mpeg onto dvd, does it need to be in mpeg2 format?
    the DVD-Video format can use either MPEG-1 or MPEG-2, but i don't think there have ever been any commercial DVD-Video releases that used MPEG-1. maybe there have been, but i've never heard of 'em.

the only reason i can think of, for making an MPEG-1 DVD-Video disc, would be to burn already-existing MPEG-1 files onto a DVD-Video disc since DVDs can hold several times more data than CDs do. for example, if you have VCD-format MPEG-1 files... they can be used on a DVD-Video disc if you convert the audio stream from its original 44khz sample rate to 48khz, then combine the new audio stream with the old video stream.

MPEG-2 is slightly more efficient, in terms of quality vs. amount of disc space required, so an MPEG-2 file should look better than an MPEG-1 file of the same size. if you're creating movie files specifically for a DVD-Video disc, then you should use MPEG-2. if you already have MPEG-1 files that you want to put onto a DVD-Video disc, then YES you can use those so long as the video stream conforms to the NTSC or PAL standards and you convert the audio stream to be compatible with DVD-Video.
    Last edited by 3RA1N1AC; 11-23-2004 at 09:34 PM.

7. Movies & TV   -   #7
    What if I have a old macrovision-ed movie. Will this work with macrovision?

8. Movies & TV   -   #8
    Quote Originally Posted by trajillo
    heres a good site:
    http://www.dvcentral.org/

but i would just get a firewire card and just output you VCR to a Minidv tape using a digital video camera and then import using firwire to your computer ..
    This method works quite well against macrovision.But its easier just to rent and rip a dvd or borrow from the library.PS but that would be illegal and we wouldn't break a law

9. Movies & TV   -   #9
    Quote Originally Posted by accat13
    This method works quite well against macrovision.But its easier just to rent and rip a dvd or borrow from the library.PS but that would be illegal and we wouldn't break a law
    No, I got some real old classics. Movies that I doubt will ever be released on DVD. Unfortunately VHS don’t last very long and I don’t know how much time I have left.

10. Movies & TV   -   #10
    Wise Kvcd Maker/PIMP
    What A coincedence I am about to do this now from a old Scary Movie VHS to a DVD. I just bought me a ABS DVD Express and I make them like that just connect my VCR open the program hit play on the VCR and Record on the Program Simple.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast