Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Religion

Quote Originally Posted by JPaul
    I have never seen a "point" abandoned so readily. Or at least modified to suit.

Did that cock crow twice, or three times.
    My points are perfectly consistent logically and quite clear. Your reply is honestly incomprehensible to me. How did I abandon anything? Quite the contrary, I graciously explained to you how to generalize a concept. I guess this is difficult for you. Each post is a truncated version of our full meaning, just to save time.

The bottom line is that you took umbrage at my attack on religion and since you had no rebuttal for my comment that wars based on religion are pointless, you chose to speciously distort the meaning of a "point" in the second part of the post.

Quite transparent really. I mean come on man, my post was there for 4 days and you didn't touch. The only reason you attempted to chop at it was because BM revived the thread and supported my position. I mean 4 days, you can do better than that.

And again, how are we so different, didn't see your clarification on this point. Makes that statement sound like sheer dramatics.
    Last edited by hobbes; 12-21-2004 at 02:40 PM.
    Aren't we in the trust tree, thingey?

2. The Drawing Room   -   #22
    Busyman's Avatar Use Logic Or STFU!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by DanB
    Sore palm?
    No stupid.....sore cock.
    Silly bitch, your weapons cannot harm me. Don't you know who I am? I'm the Juggernaut, Bitchhhh!

Flies Like An Arrow, Flies Like An Apple
    ---12323---4552-----
    2133--STRENGTH--8310
    344---5--5301---3232

3. The Drawing Room   -   #23
    TheDave's Avatar n00b
    Quote Originally Posted by Sid Hartha

Apologies for taking your comment out of context, but it reminded me of this image.
    I can't help but think that the smiling face in this picture symbolizes the triumph of one religion over another.

that isn't really anything to do with religion. it's psy-ops experiments, don't know what they wanted to achieve though

4. The Drawing Room   -   #24
    orcutt989's Avatar Blargh
    This whole thread is just a giant intellectual argument. It is hilarious how you guys are throwing insults back and forth, and some haven't even realized it because they are not contained in "your mom jokes" or "Dood U suck a mom". Obviously nobody who has posted in this thread so far believes in, or strictly follows any sort of a religion. You guys need to realize that you all share similiarities with your opinions, and stop trying to contradict each other.

As for that picture, I have no idea why someone put that picture there, but it is quite disturbing.

And as for my opinion, I dont think there is any really war that didnt have to do with some sort of clash between a religion or group of beliefs.

EDIT: And whoever posted that picture of the turtle, may I ask you to please get rid of it? It is breaking the tables for the thread, and making everything unorganized and hard to read. Thanks.
    Last edited by orcutt989; 12-21-2004 at 08:47 PM.

5. The Drawing Room   -   #25
    Busyman's Avatar Use Logic Or STFU!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by orcutt989
    This whole thread is just a giant intellectual argument. It is hilarious how you guys are throwing insults back and forth, and some haven't even realized it because they are not contained in "your mom jokes" or "Dood U suck a mom". Obviously nobody who has posted in this thread so far believes in, or strictly follows any sort of a religion.
    Otherwise we'd be perfect robots.

Couldn't it be that everyone hasn't voiced their religious beliefs?
    Last edited by Busyman; 12-21-2004 at 08:53 PM.
    Silly bitch, your weapons cannot harm me. Don't you know who I am? I'm the Juggernaut, Bitchhhh!

Flies Like An Arrow, Flies Like An Apple
    ---12323---4552-----
    2133--STRENGTH--8310
    344---5--5301---3232

6. The Drawing Room   -   #26
    Rat Faced's Avatar Broken
    Im also sure that at least 4 members that have voted on this thread have very strong Religious Beliefs.

And they aren't all similar.. while i'd agree that Christianity, Islam and Juedism are, in there fundamental beliefs, they arent the only three. They just happen to have the same roots.

They have nothing to very little in common with Buddism, Shintoism, Hinduism or many, many others.

And i thought i showed my ignorance on occasion

An It Harm None, Do What You Will

7. The Drawing Room   -   #27
    TheDave's Avatar n00b
    i heard faithless - mass destruction yesterday for the zillionth time and only then realised it was preaching. errr, some religion

8. The Drawing Room   -   #28
    Quote Originally Posted by JPaul
    hobbes

Your original position, as explained in your own words, was that war was pointless unless it was for material gain. That makes our views very different.
    Actually, that is completely incorrect.

I stated that wars fought in the name of God were pointless. Pointless because God simply doesn't exist as presented by the various religions. For one group to kill another in the name of their God or on behalf of their God is pointless.

Other wars, at least have some Earth related, particularly material, point.

So when you twist the words from:

"Wars based on religion are pointless", to "war is pointless unless it is for material gain", then you have corrupted the original.

I said that all religious wars werepointless, point blank.

I did not say that all wars were pointless, if they were not after material gains. I offered wars of this nature as examples of a war which have a point. I used the word "point" because it is neutral. It neither approves nor disapproves of the motivation.

As to freeing enslaved people, that certainly has a very real effect on how people spend their days on this Earth. That would be another example of a war with a point. I consider this a philosophical war. A war that attempts to defend the individual freedoms that we feel all humans should possess. Certainly, if we were the ones in shackles, we would hope those who were free would come to save us.

All wars based on conflicting views about God are pointless. At least other wars based in material goals have a point.
    Aren't we in the trust tree, thingey?

9. The Drawing Room   -   #29
    Cheese's Avatar Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by hobbes

All wars based on conflicting views about God are pointless. At least other wars based in material goals have a point.
    Can I just ask what wars have been conducted because of differing views on god?

I only learnt about the major wars (WWI and WWII, Vietnam & Gulf Wars) at school so I'd be genuinly interested to learn about wars fought solely in the name of god.

I know the Lilliputians went to war with the Island of Blefuscu over how to break eggs open but as they are both fictional empires I think we can discount them...

10. The Drawing Room   -   #30
    TheDave's Avatar n00b
    i think religion is used as an excuse. like the war on terror is "good vs evil" rather than our way versus their way, which is predominantly christians versus muslims

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast