Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is It Possible

heh.. yeah.. that sucks..

Ok, look, to change the toolbar, you have three real options.

1) There is the direct way. There is a .dll on your computer that manages the toolbar icons, and replacing this .dll could give you different icons. Unfortunately, I forgot which .dll it is. Just do a search around google, or maybe Neowin.

2) Y'z Toolbar. This is a program speciafically designed to skin those toolbar icons. When it works, it is a nice program. Many people use it, and probably most of the toolbar themes you see are being done with Y'z Toolbar. However, I have found this program to be quite buggy and problematic on multiple computers. I currently am using it, but it has issues.

3) The third way of doing this is to use Windowblinds. For some reason, this forum is opposed to windowblinds (god knows why), so I would not recommend listening to most of that argument. This is my preferred way of doign the toolbar icons, because I have installed windowblinds on many computers before, and never once had an issue. This is the most stable way to do it, and takes the least amount of performance hit.

Oh yeah, and as far as performance goes, here's a god breakdown.

Using a .dll hack will use no external programs, but will still use Windows XP's default skinning engine. This skinning engine uses about 3-4 Megs of memory on my computer, and I have seen it use significantly more on other computers.

Using Y'z Toolbar will take that 3-4 Megs of memory usage, and add another 3 Megs for the Y'z Toolbar program to run. So, your performance hit there is about 6-7 Megs.

As for Windowblinds, this program takes about 1 Meg of memory when running (remember to disable the themes service in services.msc because it is no longer needed and wastes resources), and the toolbar feature is bundled in with that Meg.

So, the choice is yours.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #12
    backlash's Avatar usenet lover
    Quote Originally Posted by rossco_2004
    set IE to big icons then back to small.
    does that work?
    tried that over and over and over and over. As soon as I open a new IE window or explorer it's back to large icons (the setting is on small)

so, I checked my system restore dates and I had one for 1:36am. Restored to that state and problem is solved. not happy with stylexp atm and icon packager could be better. I hate when certain icons are left over or don't change properly. grrr. I always just apply default and reapply the icon set I want, but I like things to work the way they should, yanno?

3. Software & Hardware   -   #13
    Well finally figures out how to do mine, all seems fine at the mo, thanx

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12