Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Making Startup Faster

Poster
    Originally posted by -L!qU!d-@1 April 2003 - 03:13
    Do you know any other tips of this kind?

Try TweakXP

2. File Sharing   -   #22
    Poster
    Originally posted by StrongislanD@4 April 2003 - 07:27
    that is the same problem i had- please if someone knows how to resolve this situation, please do. It will be greatly appreciated as i have 17 programs in my start menu.
    Most here are talking about services that run in the background and not programs that start when you boot up. To stop programs from starting go to your programs list and look for a folder called start up, open and delete any program you don't want to start at boot up. It won't be removed from your computer, just won't auto start.
    Some programs start by a registry command instead. To stop them use Mike Lin's Startup control as colenmacc suggested.

3. File Sharing   -   #23
    Jg427 -Thank you very much- it was exactly what I was looking for-

4. File Sharing   -   #24
    Originally posted by Razz@5 April 2003 - 06:46
    go to http://www.blackviper.com for a great guide to which services u can disable and great ways of speeding up ur computer, its mainly a step by step guide
    Brilliant, cheers for the tip. You learn something new every day

5. File Sharing   -   #25
    the blackviper isn't working

6. File Sharing   -   #26
    Nice tips. Thanks for sharing!

7. File Sharing   -   #27
    If anyone is using 'ME' the only things you need to have at boot up are -

Scanregistry

Taskmonitor

System Tray

Load power Profile

Pchealth

Alogserv.

Your virus scanner is also advisable.

Thats all folks.

8. File Sharing   -   #28
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    Originally posted by davinda@6 April 2003 - 13:18
    If anyone is using 'ME' the only things you need to have at boot up are -

Scanregistry

Taskmonitor

System Tray

Load power Profile

Pchealth

Alogserv.

Your virus scanner is also advisable.

Thats all folks.
    Thank YOU!!!!
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

9. File Sharing   -   #29
    harrycary's Avatar Poster
    For Windows 98 and Windows ME to run:

systray, explorer

That is it.
    But this is a moot point because those other things do some good.(like backing up your registry for example)
    My point being, those other things aren't absolutely necessary for your computer to run. They mainly perform utilitarian tasks.

No offence intended to anyone, I just like runnning my computer as lean & mean as possible. Everything is quicker that way, and, my (Win98)PC never crashes.

10. File Sharing   -   #30
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    Originally posted by harrycary@7 April 2003 - 05:32
    For Windows 98 and Windows ME to run:

systray, explorer

That is it.
    But this is a moot point because those other things do some good.(like backing up your registry for example)
    My point being, those other things aren't absolutely necessary for your computer to run. They mainly perform utilitarian tasks.

No offence intended to anyone, I just like runnning my computer as lean & mean as possible. Everything is quicker that way, and, my (Win98)PC never crashes.
    I run ME-maybe it runs me, instead-and I'm not as handy with my PC as I'd like, but awhile back, I bumped up to 384M ram, and it didn't do for me all I thought it should. I know I have alot of alphabet soup running in the background and cannot really discern what some of it is. Some is obvious, Antivirus, firewall, etc. I know explorer and systray have to be left. I don't need "lean & mean" as you say, but I would like to know what some of this stuff is? I've got a Dell running a factory setup, minus some of the docs and stuff I didn't reload when I warrenteed the HD a while back. Other than that, I just have a standard ration of utilities, anti-virus, and firewall, spybot, etc.
    Any ideas?
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast