Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What Type Of Gamers Are Out There?

kAb's Avatar Poster
    Originally posted by Jowy@2 April 2003 - 16:07
    I see you have a decent argument about system qualities. However, I believe that sony will always prevail when facing x-box. Sony has been in the business longer, and knows more about the gaming world. X-box was a risk (just like all business ventures.) It could have been a complete failure, though it wasn't, it was a possibiliy. The playstation two has the home field advantage in a sense, they know the cdrom console gaming industry alot better than Nintendo, or Microsoft could ever hope to know it. Don't get me wrong, I'm sure they explored every bit of information they had available, to see what the gamers wanted, but honestly, who would know better than the ones who have been successful in the business?

Sega Saturn = Failure
    Sega Dreamcast = Failure (Some will say that it was great, but how great can it be when sega has to feed off of other systems to survive; The other system being sony playstation.)
    Playstation = Complete Sucess
    Playstation 2 = Complete Sucess (Only a complete success because of it's predecessor.)
    Gamecube = Complete Sucess
    X-Box = Complete Success (Though it was a risk for microsoft, they took it, and they did well...mostly because gamers nowadays are crazy over graphics, and system power, rather than decent games...Cant have everything can you?)

That's how I see the entire deal, I will always stand behind sony, simply because they probably are making more money in the console struggle as it stands. The majority of the money they are making is due to them being well-known, and word of mouth tends to spread quicker than news in this country. (An exaggeration for those of you who have no sense of humor.^)
    X-box will continue to make money because people like the system, though I see nothing special about it. I have owned it, and really disliked the controller, so basically that's the reason I sold it...not to mention the shortage of games, another reason why playstation is more popular than x-box. For the people who are going to post, and say that I'm wrong...do your homework, check statistics, and only then can you tell me I'm wrong. I would like to state that these are my assumptions, and mine alone. I stated the obvious facts...so if you have a problem with it, go whine, because I'm not in the mood.
    u forgot gameboy and n64

n64-Complete success
    Gameboy-complete success

Dreamcast was a success because everyone bought one. now it isn't because ps2 etc. is out and everyone stuffed them in the attic.

sony makes the best games.

2. Games   -   #12
    Originally posted by kAb@3 April 2003 - 01:24
    n64-Complete success
    Gameboy-complete success

Dreamcast was a success because everyone bought one. now it isn't because ps2 etc. is out and everyone stuffed them in the attic.
    now i was just gonna say that...

gameboy is the onli handheld thatz still alive!

gameboy
    gameboy pocket <-- again a rip off but then it was smaller then the big gameboy
    gameboy color
    gameboy advance

gameboy advance sp <-- now thatz just a rip off to make more money
    other handheld consoles...

neogeo -- died....

3. Games   -   #13
    Originally posted by Soul814@2 April 2003 - 17:27
    gameboy advance sp <-- now thatz just a rip off to make more money
    But look at how small it is&#33; But it&#39;s still another marketing strategy.

Now to answer the question:
    PC
    N64
    PS2
    Turbografx-16 (Porbably none of you people ever heard of)
    PC-Engine Core Grafx 2 (None of you ever heard of either)

4. Games   -   #14
    ppl dont read the specs do u&#33;?&#33;?&#33; u just think "oh look its new, even though i have gameboy advance might as well get sp"

Size (Closed):
    Height 3.33 inches, width 3.23 inches, depth 0.96 inches
    CPU:
    32-bit RISC CPU with embedded memory
    Screen:
    2.9-inch reflective TFT color LCD
    Light Source:
    Front lights have been integrated with the existing reflective LCD
    Display Size:
    1.61 inches by 2.41 inches (identical to the Game Boy Advance)
    Resolution: 240x160 pixels (identical to the Game Boy Advance)
    Color: Simultaneously displays more than 32,000 colors (identical to the Game Boy Advance)
    Weight: Approximately 5 ounces
    Power Supply: Rechargeable lithium-ion battery
    Battery Life:
    10 hours continuous play with three hour recharging period; 18 hours continuous play with light function disabled
    Hardware Color:
    Platinum and cobalt (metallic)

Suggested Retail Price: &#036;99.95
    Gameboy Advance Specs

It is so powerfull it can emulate other consoles... though you will have to catch your eye balls back, the low-consuming monitor will make you get weirdest positions ever.

Specs

32-Bit ARM CPU with embedded memory
    2.9 inch TFT Color LCD Screen (non-backlit, sadly)
    240x160 resolution
    40.8mm x 61.2mm screen size
    32,768 possible colors
    511 simultaneous colors in character mode
    32,768 simultaneous colors in bitmap mode
    Size 144w x 82h x 25d (mm)
    Weight 140g
    Power 2 AA batteries
    Battery Life 15 hours&nbsp;
    Price = &#036;65.00
    overall advance WINS&#33;

5. Games   -   #15
    stoi's Avatar BCG Owner BT Rep: +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45
    good point well made, and im going to try my best not to whine, ok

1st point is Amiga Vs Pc and in some respects Sega as well.

Amiga was a lot better machine, it had 3 cpu`s, Agnus Denise and another one which i cant remember the name, so it was a lot better at multitasking than even some of todays top home pcs, not sure about the hyperthreading technology so i wont argue against that. It also had better games/graphics than pcs at the time and shell was a lot more powerful than dos.

The only advantage the Pc had over the Amiga as far as i can tell was the Built in HDD and maybe office software etc. I think this is what killed the Amiga in the long run, the lack of a HDD.

Now im not going to say the same thing will happen in the console world, But ive read that you can put a 200gig hdd in the xbox, then get an emulator, out in a couple of months i believe for the ps2, then all you do is copy the entire game onto the 200gig hdd, and you have a machine that can run PSX, PS2 and Xbox games.

I think the Xbox will slowly catch up to sony and take over sony as well, but buy that time i believe the PS3 will be out so i suppose only time will tell, Also you have to remember sony have been in the console business for what must be close to 10 years now, but the XBOX is the new kid on the block, and a little bit of competition is good for us the consumers, as the technology is getting better and the prices getting cheaper.

And as for the graphics being more major than the gameplay, not your thoughts but you think the thoughts of many, i still say some of the old games on the Amiga had a lot more playability and lastability than some of these new games that are coming out for all the consoles. Sensible Soccer for instance, played both the Amiga and the PC version at the time and i must admit the Amiga version was just a lot smoother, in the graphics and the playabilty.

I still think the PC needs some more competition, and not just the cpus but the whole architecture, Apple will never do it, But if someone gets hold of the Amiga architcture and brings it smack bang up to date, and gets a decent operating system, then i think M&#036; and IBM etc, might think twice about bringing out shitty upgrades for 100`s of dollers and you will see a price crash for decent improvements coming onto the market very fast.

Sorry, went on a bit of a tangent there, but it all leads to the same conclusion. Its the company with the most money behind it and M&#036; and Sony are virtualy neck and neck in that respect, so it will just be fascinating and hopefully cheaper fur us to see the putcome of this battle.

stoi.

6. Games   -   #16
    lol good u didnt say anything about gameboy thats my topic lolol

pc

now to complain bout xbox

xbox = microsoft >>

microsoft = pc

pc = pc graphics and that means that the graphisc will never be as good as playstation or nintendo ones&#33;

7. Games   -   #17
    Poster
    Hey Stoi, very nice, I only have a one issue with it (And two comments, lol)

I think the Xbox will slowly catch up to sony and take over sony as well, but buy that time i believe the PS3 will be out so i suppose only time will tell, Also you have to remember sony have been in the console business for what must be close to 10 years now, but the XBOX is the new kid on the block, and a little bit of competition is good for us the consumers, as the technology is getting better and the prices getting cheaper.

(My thoughts on this are pretty clear, I don&#39;t believe it will take over sony as you say, sony would go out of business before it would work under another company. It would never happen anyway, sony makes many other things, and would always have enough money to support playstation, even if it wasn&#39;t an automatic hot-seller. I am happy about prices getting cheaper as well )

And as for the graphics being more major than the gameplay, not your thoughts but you think the thoughts of many, i still say some of the old games on the Amiga had a lot more playability and lastability than some of these new games that are coming out for all the consoles. Sensible Soccer for instance, played both the Amiga and the PC version at the time and i must admit the Amiga version was just a lot smoother, in the graphics and the playabilty.

(I was referring to console disc types...I really haven&#39;t done any coverage on the Amiga, so you lost me there. I see what your getting at though. )

Sorry, went on a bit of a tangent there, but it all leads to the same conclusion. Its the company with the most money behind it and M&#036; and Sony are virtualy neck and neck in that respect, so it will just be fascinating and hopefully cheaper fur us to see the putcome of this battle.

(I as well hope it makes everything cheaper, because subtracting bit by bit from my paycheck per month, can sometimes get annoying. )

8. Games   -   #18
    imported_The__One
    Personally, I think that a top of the line PC today will beat any console, in grafix, gamplay, controls, durability, amount of games.... A P4 3.06Ghz, with 1GB RAM, 128MB GeForce FX and two 180GB 7200rpm HDD&#39;s will seriously kick any conslole&#39;s ass (I think the XBox uses a Geforce 4 Ti4600card...) There are more games for the PC then there are or ever will be for the PS2 or PS1...not to mention the XBox and Gamecube, grafix will look as stunning as on a XBox, and when that sistem get&#39;s old, U don&#39;t have to put it away in the attic, U can use it for stuff like word processing and shit like that (I use a P1 100mhz Toshiba laptop to write some school reports )

As for the controls, u can&#39;t beat the keyboard/mouse combination for FPS games, and if U want to play games like Rayman 2/3, U can plug in a gamepad, or joistick, or wheel....3D glassed, force feedback chair with surround sound&#33;&#33;&#33;(got a bit carried away there ) The PC is has a lot of versatility (sp?), can U open a PS2 and change the grafix card, sound card, put some more RAM??

The only drawback to the PC it that it&#39;s a little more complicated to use than the consoles, and it tends to be a lot more expensive &#036;&#036; &#036;&#036;..but in the long run , I think the PC beats any conslole in every department by 10 to 1......but then again, that&#39;s only my opinion

9. Games   -   #19
    I got them all, I&#39;d put it:

Xbox
    PS2
    Cube

10. Games   -   #20
    Poster
    DOUBLE POST
    *Apology*
    >

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast