Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: PS3 Cell Chip Unveiled

silent h3ro's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +9BT Rep +9
    Quote Originally Posted by ApacNTS
    well they want to put microsoft in the dirt, so that'd just about do it. 4 times the power of xbox, and probably double xbox "360". now if only they could make a game that actually used it, looking at mk:deadly alliance, im reminded of nintendo 64 :-p
    Yea ur right they are trying to make a more pwerful console like the Xbox was.

2. Games   -   #12
    Quote Originally Posted by ApacNTS
    well they want to put microsoft in the dirt, so that'd just about do it. 4 times the power of xbox, and probably double xbox "360". now if only they could make a game that actually used it, looking at mk:deadly alliance, im reminded of nintendo 64 :-p
    As I can remember, the ps2 chip is 233 MHz. So this would be nearly 40x as fast. You assume that Microsoft cant come up with just as much as an increase in performance as Sony?
    Need a cheap/easy way of modding your xbox? Check this out.

3. Games   -   #13
    Quote Originally Posted by SingaBoiy
    As I can remember, the ps2 chip is 233 MHz. So this would be nearly 40x as fast. You assume that Microsoft cant come up with just as much as an increase in performance as Sony?
    have they already release the next xbox's specs? will probably be equal or maybe even more than ps3's chip..
    Last edited by colt45joe; 02-08-2005 at 03:30 AM.

4. Games   -   #14
    silent h3ro's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +9BT Rep +9
    Quote Originally Posted by colt45joe
    have they already release the next xbox's specs? will probably be equal or maybe even more than ps3's chip..
    I thought the Xbox would come in 3 different models (varying in speed?).

5. Games   -   #15
    asmithz's Avatar Hi-Definition
    Xbox will have 3 processors that will probly equal the speed of the one chip (cell) that sony has.

Sources for artical are TeamXbox.com and GamesIndustry.biz.

@busyman, when did sony say the ps2 will run at 4ghz? They said it will be a break thogh, and it was at the time of release.

6. Games   -   #16
    cpt_azad's Avatar Colonel
    ya no doubt xbox 360 (god i hate that name so much) will be equal to or more than the ps3's proc. i say this because well no one really knows for sure how fast the PS3 will be and how fast teh xbox 360 will be, too far away to tell. so just wait till sony and microsoft officially realease info.

Jeff Loomis: He's so good, he doesn't need to be dead to have a tribute.

7. Games   -   #17
    Quote Originally Posted by SingaBoiy
    As I can remember, the ps2 chip is 233 MHz. So this would be nearly 40x as fast.
    eh. clock speed is not a goal in and of itself. it doesn't indicate anything at all when you're comparing two totally different processors, 'cause they do different amounts of work per cycle (hz). what you really should be looking for is a comparison of how much work the chip accomplishes, not just how many cycles per second it does.

suppose one person is able to walk from point A to point B in a certain amount of time, and he can carry 100 pounds. suppose another person can walk from point A to point B twice as fast, BUT he can only carry 50 pounds. is the second person actually doing more work than the first person? efficiency is equally as important as speed, if not more important.

of course the cell chip will do more work than a ps2, but its clock speed does not indicate HOW MUCH more. "woot 4 point whatever gigahertz" doesn't tell me anything except that it'll prolly need a loud-ass fan to vent the heat.

8. Games   -   #18
    what do I put here? BT Rep: +10BT Rep +10
    who cares about speed and shit all that matters is quality of the games which xbox don't have for me

9. Games   -   #19
    cpt_azad's Avatar Colonel
    and ps2 does ?

Jeff Loomis: He's so good, he doesn't need to be dead to have a tribute.

10. Games   -   #20
    Quote Originally Posted by 3RA1N1AC
    eh. clock speed is not a goal in and of itself. it doesn't indicate anything at all when you're comparing two totally different processors, 'cause they do different amounts of work per cycle (hz). what you really should be looking for is a comparison of how much work the chip accomplishes, not just how many cycles per second it does.

suppose one person is able to walk from point A to point B in a certain amount of time, and he can carry 100 pounds. suppose another person can walk from point A to point B twice as fast, BUT he can only carry 50 pounds. is the second person actually doing more work than the first person? efficiency is equally as important as speed, if not more important.

of course the cell chip will do more work than a ps2, but its clock speed does not indicate HOW MUCH more. "woot 4 point whatever gigahertz" doesn't tell me anything except that it'll prolly need a loud-ass fan to vent the heat.
    Yes, I know this. I was making a point towards his comment

@Adster - what type of games do you like?
    Need a cheap/easy way of modding your xbox? Check this out.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast