Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Freeze ups, reboots & BSODs - oh my!

tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Quote Originally Posted by uNz[i]
    Antivirus software can cause this error. Disable any antivirus software you have. - Been using Avast! for months now and its never been a problem...
    Don't you want to be certain though? it's worth a shot.

But that Username issue should probably be fixed as well.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #22
    uNz[i]'s Avatar Out of order
    Quote Originally Posted by rossco_2004
    Don't you want to be certain though? it's worth a shot.

But that Username issue should probably be fixed as well.
    Well, I've been using Avast! for at least 6 months without having a single problem with it.
    Why would it suddenly throw my whole system out of whack now?
    If it was buggy, surely the crashes would occur on a more regular basis, rather than just the random occurrences I'm experiencing?

As for the username thing, how on Earth do I fix that anyway?
    Oh yeah... and on that subject, I loaded up my Admin account and checked out the processes and users in there too.
    Same deal. no usernames anywhere in task manager.

Back to the crashes etc. Had a bit of luck today. I was talking to a techie mate about my PC problems, and he's suggested that the CMOS battery could be going flat, possibly because of a faulty PSU.
    He's very kindly offered to lend me a similar PSU to my own as well as an identical ATI radeon 9200SE so I can do the swapout thing without having to mess about installing new drivers.

Those things, along with a new CMOS battery, should enable me to eliminate the majority of my suspects list. If the crashes continue, then I'll know for sure the mobo is to blame.
    Last edited by uNz[i]; 02-10-2005 at 05:48 AM.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #23
    BawA's Avatar FST Pioneer BT Rep: +1
    check if ur Prossesor's(Cpu) fan is not HALF-Death, like it stops suddenly or working slowly, i had simmilar issue but after changing my CPU fan everything went ok.
    some MOBO's has an option for alerting in case of fan failuer, if u got that option enable it and ull know wheter its fan problem or not.

"You can be mad as a mad dog at the way things went; you can swear and curse the fates, but when it comes to the end, you have to let go"
    Benjamen button

4. Software & Hardware   -   #24
    Did that already. Checked out the CPU fan when I installed my new case fan yesterday.
    It's not binding or anything, and it ran ok when I fired up the system.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #25
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    I was talking to a techie mate about my PC problems, and he's suggested that the CMOS battery could be going flat, possibly because of a faulty PSU.
    Hmmm...no.
    The CMOS battery may be dodgy, but that would have nothing to do with the PSU.

Interesting theory though.
    Last edited by clocker; 02-10-2005 at 10:14 AM.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

6. Software & Hardware   -   #26
    HCT's Avatar WTF!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    i have the same problem but instead af 0x50 mine is 0x8E

7. Software & Hardware   -   #27
    Clocker: Well, either way the CMOS battery is getting tested and/or replaced.

HCT: Google is your friend - MS Bug Check 0x8E: KERNEL_MODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED
    I'd start with your video drivers. Good luck.

Speaking of video drivers, something new to report. I fired up the ole crashbox last night and the desktop was only occupying a quarter of the screen!

After a brief WTF?? session, I eventually went into Advanced Display Properties > Monitor tab, and after much squinting at tiny text, found that something called "Default monitor" had appeared in the 'Monitor type' section above the "Plug and Play monitor" that is supposed to be there.

I have no idea where that came from. My best guess is perhaps the video card had unseated itself or the drivers had gone belly up?

I uninstalled the drivers and the video card in device manager, then cracked open the case and reseated the card, even though it looked like it was sitting in the slot properly.
    Booted up and let windows find the card again, then installed the latest drivers... again.

Checked the Monitor tab in Advanced Display properties and the mysterious default monitor was gone.
    So far, this system has been running for the best part of a day now without a single freeze, reboot or BSOD.
    I'm just hoping the phantom monitor isn't a symptom of anything else.
    Stay tuned...
    Last edited by uNz[i]; 02-10-2005 at 11:37 PM.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #28
    Someone mention about the clock not saying correct time?? when i looked into that last time i was told by a few people it could be a BIOS problem...worth a mention i suppose.
    I got Booted from Xbox Scene Forum...Proud??...You Betcha!!

9. Software & Hardware   -   #29
    HCT's Avatar WTF!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Clocker: Well, either way the CMOS battery is getting tested and/or replaced.

HCT: Google is your friend - MS Bug Check 0x8E: KERNEL_MODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED
    I'd start with your video drivers. Good luck.

Speaking of video drivers, something new to report. I fired up the ole crashbox last night and the desktop was only occupying a quarter of the screen!

After a brief WTF?? session, I eventually went into Advanced Display Properties > Monitor tab, and after much squinting at tiny text, found that something called "Default monitor" had appeared in the 'Monitor type' section above the "Plug and Play monitor" that is supposed to be there.

I have no idea where that came from. My best guess is perhaps the video card had unseated itself or the drivers had gone belly up?

I uninstalled the drivers and the video card in device manager, then cracked open the case and reseated the card, even though it looked like it was sitting in the slot properly.
    Booted up and let windows find the card again, then installed the latest drivers... again.

Checked the Monitor tab in Advanced Display properties and the mysterious default monitor was gone.
    So far, this system has been running for the best part of a day now without a single freeze, reboot or BSOD.
    I'm just hoping the phantom monitor isn't a symptom of anything else.
    Stay tuned...

no mine is this error PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA
    STOP: 0x8E
    win32.sys

but ill check the video driver just in case
    Last edited by HCT; 02-11-2005 at 12:04 AM.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #30
    Quote Originally Posted by HCT
    no mine is this error PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA
    STOP: 0x8E
    win32.sys

but ill check the video driver just in case
    Oh I see. Well, you only gave me the stop code to work with, so there you go.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast