Voters
22. You may not vote on this poll
  • worth watching anything this geeky

5 22.73%
  • will be another let down but still worth watching

9 40.91%
  • stfu "manker option"

6 27.27%
  • don't bother you already know the story and will be critical of any changes.

1 4.55%
  • wtf are you talking about?

1 4.55%
  • there is no option 6

3 13.64%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: New Hitchhiker's guide to the galaxy

Busyman's Avatar Use Logic Or STFU!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by vidcc
    I think it had something to do with the English humor. It is hard for an English comic to make it here and those that have all say that it's not easy to adjust.

That said i strongly believe that the powers that be in the entertainment industry don't give Americans credit for "getting it"
    We just don't find it that funny here.

There is very little diversity in British humor. It is pretty much white British actors.

The most diversity you might have is a Scottish accent and British accent, etc which all sound simply British to us. The British accent sometimes comes off as snobby. Add to that, we rarely have people of European accent around to give us influence.

Here we have orientals, Jamaicans, white, black, etc. and it may be rolled into one skit. We relate to them better because we have had experience around them.
    Last edited by Busyman; 03-04-2005 at 01:27 AM.
    Silly bitch, your weapons cannot harm me. Don't you know who I am? I'm the Juggernaut, Bitchhhh!

Flies Like An Arrow, Flies Like An Apple
    ---12323---4552-----
    2133--STRENGTH--8310
    344---5--5301---3232

2. Lounge   -   #12
    vidcc's Avatar there is no god
    busy

How do you explain remakes that are identical word for word, action for action. The only difference being the actors?

it’s an election with no Democrats, in one of the whitest states in the union, where rich candidates pay $35 for your votes. Or, as Republicans call it, their vision for the future.

3. Lounge   -   #13
    busy

How do you explain remakes that are identical word for word, action for action. The only difference being the actors?
    Being they aren't British?

Seems easy to explain without a British accent.
    Last edited by Busyman; 03-04-2005 at 01:27 AM.
    Silly bitch, your weapons cannot harm me. Don't you know who I am? I'm the Juggernaut, Bitchhhh!

---12323---4552-----
    2133--STRENGTH--8310
    344---5--5301---3232

4. Lounge   -   #14
    vidcc's Avatar there is no god
    so it's not the humor then... just the accent

i would put it down to the entertainment industry feeling they need a "name" star.

also when you say there is very little diversity in british humor on what are you basing this theory.

1. british comedy you have seen here

2. time spent in the uk experiencing british humor.
    Last edited by vidcc; 03-03-2005 at 08:52 PM.

it’s an election with no Democrats, in one of the whitest states in the union, where rich candidates pay $35 for your votes. Or, as Republicans call it, their vision for the future.

5. Lounge   -   #15
    so it's not the humor then... just the accent
    It plays a huge part in getting to the humor.

Sometimes I just can't understand wtf is being said.

There is a new show that I'm going to check out called Hollow Men on Comedy Central. It looks pretty good from the previews.

---12323---4552-----
    2133--STRENGTH--8310
    344---5--5301---3232

6. Lounge   -   #16
    manker's Avatar effendi
    Quote Originally Posted by Busyman
    We just don't find it that funny here.

There is very little diversity in British humor. It is pretty much white British actors.

The most diversity you might have is a Scottish accent and British accent, etc which all sound simply British to us. The British accent sometimes comes off as snobby. Add to that, we rarely have people of European accent around to give us influence.

Here we have orientals, Jamaicans, white, black, etc. and it may be rolled into one skit. We relate to them better because we have had experience around them.
    Somehow, I knew you'd say that.

"I don't find it funny, therefore there must be something wrong with it"

It's just too subtle for you, I've made posts on here that have just flown right over your head, so have other members. You have many strong points that I can think of, subtlety - both displaying and understanding of - is most definitely not one of them.

I would say that you'd love Richard Pryor and Eddie Murphy but would hate The Office, simply because both US comics are in your face whereas the humour in The Office is much less tangible.

You just don't get it.
    I plan on beating him to death with his kids. I'll use them as a bludgeon on his face. -

--Good for them if they survive.

7. Lounge   -   #17
    Quote Originally Posted by manker
    Somehow, I knew you'd say that.

"I don't find it funny, therefore there must be something wrong with it"

It's just too subtle for you, I've made posts on here that have just flown right over your head, so have other members. You have many strong points that I can think of, subtlety - both displaying and understanding of - is most definitely not one of them.

I would say that you'd love Richard Pryor and Eddie Murphy but would hate The Office, simply because both US comics are in your face whereas the humour in The Office is much less tangible.

You just don't get it.
    ....and I have heard this en masse from the likes of you and others of European persuasion that just because some British comedy fails miserably over here that "we just don't get it."

Sure if it's involving some mundane or obscure (to us) saying that we haven't been exposed to...of course. That goes without saying.

Maybe saying that we don't get it correlates to "it's not fucking funny." The only thing I remember not getting was fizzy lemonade. Other than that I haven't made remarks to that effect.

If an American comedian gets up on stage and the audience doesn't get his jokes....then he's not funny. Dennis Miller sometimes springs to mind. He might reference some actor or something I personally haven't heard of and then there's only from me.

Btw you made up the "there must be something wrong with it part" so if you knew I'd say that then look again because it wasn't said (not by me). I like some British comedy and some I find fucking stupid just like some American ones. Sometimes I simply can't get past the accent and sometimes the accent helps the comedy.

I doubt the movie Snatch would have worked "Americanized". That movie was funny because it was British and to me was a classic.

Subtlety? I like Steven Wright and you can't get much more subtle than that. I haven't seen The Office yet but is it somewhat like the movie Office Space? I got humor in that movie due to my personal experience working in an office cubicle. Even the driving to work part made me laugh.

Now if The Office has no humor relating to that then...well I have to wait and see.

So maybe you're right. If I don't think it's funny then there's something wrong with it...IT'S NOT FUCKING FUNNY.

Meh, feck, w00t, and all that.
    Last edited by Busyman; 03-04-2005 at 02:07 PM.

---12323---4552-----
    2133--STRENGTH--8310
    344---5--5301---3232

8. Lounge   -   #18
    manker's Avatar effendi
    ....and I have heard this en masse from the likes of you and others of European persuasion that just because some British comedy fails miserably over here that "we just don't get it."

Sure if it's involving some mundane or obscure (to us) saying that we haven't been exposed to...of course. That goes without saying.

Maybe saying that we don't get it correlates to "it's not fucking funny." The only thing I remember not getting was fizzy lemonade. Other than that I haven't made remarks to that effect.

If an American comedian gets up on stage and the audience doesn't get his jokes....then he's not funny. Dennis Miller sometimes springs to mind. He might reference some actor or something I personally haven't heard of and then there's only from me.

Btw you made up the "there must be something wrong with it part" so if you knew I'd say that then look again because it wasn't said (not by me). I like some British comedy and some I find fucking stupid just like some American ones. Sometimes I simply can't get past the accent and sometimes the accent helps the comedy.

I doubt the movie Snatch would have worked "Americanized". That movie was funny because it was British and to me was a classic.

Subtlety? I like Steven Wright and you can't get much more subtle than that.

So meh, feck, w00t, and all that.
    Okay, you said that British comedy isn't diverse, implying that there is something wrong with it. you didn't get it, at all, when I made a pretty subtle post regarding the reasoning behind me posting that I'd be good at baseball because I was good at rounders.

I'm making the comments from what I perceive about you - whether you're black, white, French, a midget - whatever, that doesn't come into it. This is why I'm hilighting you.

I'm not talking about why Americans don't like UK comedy, I'm commenting on why I think YOU would write that we (the US) don't like UK comedy. I think that you wouldn't like subtle comedy, whatever the country of origin, and I base that on what I know of you from your posts here.

I am unsurprised that you didn't extrapolate that from my post
    Last edited by manker; 03-04-2005 at 02:55 PM.
    I plan on beating him to death with his kids. I'll use them as a bludgeon on his face. -

9. Lounge   -   #19
    Quote Originally Posted by manker
    Okay, you said that British comedy isn't diverse, implying that there is something wrong with it. you didn't get it, at all, when I made a pretty subtle post regarding the reasoning behind me posting that I'd be good at baseball because I was good at rounders.

I'm making the comments from what I perceive about you - whether you're black, white, French, a midget - whatever, that doesn't come into it. This is why I'm hilighting you.

I'm not talking about why Americans don't like UK comedy, I'm commenting on why I think YOU would write that we (the US) don't like UK comedy. I think that you wouldn't like subtle comedy, whatever the country of origin, and I base that on what I know of you from your posts here.

I am unsurprised that you didn't extrapolate that from my post
    You haven't come up with anything about me not liking subtlety except that the fact that you are saying it. You are making shit up.

Rounders and baseball are related and I don't remember you saying you'd be good at it. Who knows?
    Wtf that has to do with me liking subtlety is beyond me...."I don't get it."

I make my comments based on the fact that in many instances, British comedy doesn't headline here and I'm thoroughly entrenched in the comic world (not as much as I used to be).

Oh yeah Eddie Izzard is the shit over here because he's subtle....since he dresses like a beeeotch.
    Last edited by Busyman; 03-04-2005 at 05:09 PM.

---12323---4552-----
    2133--STRENGTH--8310
    344---5--5301---3232

10. Lounge   -   #20
    manker's Avatar effendi
    You haven't come up with anything about me not liking subtlety except that the fact that you are saying it. You are making shit up.
    Well spotted, it's my opinion based on the posts you've made. What else could it be.

I think that you don't like UK comedy in general, not because you're American but because you don't do subtlety very well.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast