Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Possibly Building a comp?

clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Quote Originally Posted by Formula1
    Well the psu that came with my case is able to power evrything in my sig. But the voltages are quite unstable, and it seems when i try to burn something, my pc will freeze. I'd highly recommend buying a diff power supply. If you dont have enough money i would recommend getting the athlon 3200 instead of 3400.
    Not a bad approach at all.
    PSUs can be the source of many problems and we don't want problems now, do we?
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

2. Software & Hardware   -   #32
    S!X's Avatar L33T Member BT Rep: +5
    Quote Originally Posted by Formula1
    Well the psu that came with my case is able to power evrything in my sig. But the voltages are quite unstable, and it seems when i try to burn something, my pc will freeze. I'd highly recommend buying a diff power supply. If you dont have enough money i would recommend getting the athlon 3200 instead of 3400.
    3500 *

@clocker, no we dont want problemos

3. Software & Hardware   -   #33
    Actually, we thrive on other people's problems.
    It's you that doesn't want them.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #34
    Quote Originally Posted by clocker
    Actually, we thrive on other people's problems.
    It's you that doesn't want them.
    lol

5. Software & Hardware   -   #35
    So if 350 might not be able to keep that baby stable, what would be thr right amount of power for it?

6. Software & Hardware   -   #36
    lynx's Avatar .
    Quote Originally Posted by Linkin Park
    So if 350 might not be able to keep that baby stable, what would be thr right amount of power for it?
    Well the psu that came with my case is able to power evrything in my sig.
    It isn't about quantity, it's about quality.
    But the voltages are quite unstable
    The point was that for that price for a case and PSU the quality simply could not be there.

A 350W PSU may work just fine but I'd go for something a bit bigger, especially since you are considering an X800 compared to a 9600. The thing is to get a good PSU, not just one that claims to be able to pump out mega-amps.
    Last edited by lynx; 04-02-2005 at 12:38 PM.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #37
    Sorry to bump this thread but ive got a question about the Cd drive. Is the cd drive supposed to come with the ide cable(s)? The one i picked out is an oem and just comes with the drive and some cd I know the mobo comes with cabes but does it come with a cabe for a cd drive?

Also, is the ram that ive picked out "Dual channel"? And could some1 explain what dual channel ram does like how its different from others?

lynx said with that video card im gonna need some good power, how much power would you guys suggest?
    Last edited by S!X; 04-17-2005 at 08:12 AM.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #38
    Power is not important, brand is.

Dual Channel just makes your ram work much faster together, stick the two sticks of ram next to each other to Dual Channel.

OEM means you get nothing, maybe an update cd and sometimes Nero if your lucky, but no cables or screws.

Mobo should come ith IDE cables, hard drives and CD/DVD units use IDE. Some newer Hard Drives use SATA which is a faster smaller cable.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #39
    Quote Originally Posted by Linkin Park

Also, is the ram that ive picked out "Dual channel"? And could some1 explain what dual channel ram does like how its different from others?
    "Dual channel"ing is implemented on the motherboard, not the RAM*... read your manual to see the exact order to install your memory.
    This can/will vary by board, so make sure you understand it...the sometimes fractured Engrish in manuals (and even BIOS) makes this confusing.

If you have succeeded, you'll see that your memory is running in dual channel on the POST screen when you boot up.
    Some boards, even when running dual channel, perform better with the RAM shifted around...for instance, you might get better benchmarks using channels 2 & 4 instead of 1 & 3- even though both are technically correct.

*WTF is "dual channel"?
    Last edited by clocker; 04-17-2005 at 01:13 PM.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #40
    Virtualbody1234's Avatar Forum Star BT Rep: +2
    Quote Originally Posted by clocker
    A body of water reserved for canoe tilting contests.
    ???

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast