Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 1234512 ... LastLast

Thread: A Canadian Apology

NikkiD's Avatar Yen?
    I love it...

I'm not in any way anti-American, in fact I love the US, visit often and have many, many friends there. But you have to love Canadian humour. Royal Canadian AirFarce is also a great one.

2. Lounge   -   #12
    Ex-member
    Good Canadian/American story:
    An American aircraft carrier was cruising up the East Coast of Northern America with a large accompanying fleet.

In the bridge of the carrier, the radar operator noticed a blip on his screen directly ahead of the fleet.

He signalled this to the comms officer, who opened a radio channel and requested that they change course 10 degrees north to avoid collision with the fleet.

The blip was a Canadian, who responded "Sorry, US fleet, we must request that you change course 10 degrees south in order to avoid collision."

The Americans roared with laughter. The comms officer responded "Sorry, Canadian vessel, we must request that you alter your course to avoid collision."

The Canadians replied, "Sorry, US fleet, we must request that you change course 10 degrees south in order to avoid collision."

The comms officer then informed the ship's commander that some Canadians were "getting cocky". The commander then spoke to the Canadians himself:
    "Now listen here, punk. This is one of the most heavily armed aircraft carriers on the planet. I have a huge supporting fleet as well as dozens of fighters and bombers on board. Now you are going to move out of our way, OK?"

The Canadians replied, "Sorry, sir, we really must request that you change course 10 degrees south in order to avoid collision."

The Americans went apopleptic and  :flame: ed at them for some time.

The Canadians then replied: "We're a lighthouse. Your call."
    This is a true story, told to me by retired Captain PJD Moriarity of the Royal Navy.

3. Lounge   -   #13
    So how did they move the lighthouse?
    Aren't we in the trust tree, thingey?

4. Lounge   -   #14
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    Originally posted by Lamsey@6 April 2003 - 18:51
    All of you (USA-lovers too) should read Stupid White Men by Michael Moore.

It points out just what's wrong with America today and is very funny too.
    WeeMouse pointed this out the other day-I will expand on my response.

Michael Moore has nothing to offer of any consequence, he writes to provoke reactions. His first attempt at comedy, entitled "Roger and Me" (what it's about is, believe me, of no import) attracted the attention of some stupid people who knew many other stupid people. They, in turn, deified Mr. Moore (who is himself a stupid person), and convinced him (it wasn't difficult) that he could be the leader of the stupid people if he would write more tripe. This he consented to do. He has enjoyed modest success as a provacateur, and is so enamored of himself he has several more books in the hopper, among them:
    "I'm Stupid-You're Stupid"

"Ego and Stupidity: Managing Your Assets"

"Stupidity and Logic-A User's Guide"

Ah, Lamsey-WeeMouse........don't be fooled, smell the B.S., don't eat it.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

5. Lounge   -   #15
    Ex-member
    I'm guessing that
    1) you're American
    2) you like having a non-elected President
    3) you are happy living in one of the most unfair societies in the world
    4) you need to follow your own advice

Every fact in Michael Moore's book is backed up by evidence (check the bibliography) - and some of the facts in the story are too important to ignore.

Instead of just calling him stupid, come up with a better argument please.
    The most powerful man in the world is verystupid, but that never stopped him.

6. Lounge   -   #16
    Poster
    believe me i was pissed when bush was declared the winer of that election but i wil agree with the way hes handled our biz since 9-11 " blow up our shit well blow up yours"

7. Lounge   -   #17
    ClubDiggler's Avatar Poster
    Originally posted by Lamsey@6 April 2003 - 22:08
    I'm guessing that
    1) you're American

Every fact in Michael Moore's book is backed up by evidence (check the bibliography) - and some of the facts in the story are too important to ignore.

I might agree with you as much as %70; If you can believe that.
    I am just confused about point 3. I think you might be stretching it
    a little. By that I mean, it is ridiculous to say that America is one of
    the most unfair societies in the world.

Why is it then that a lot of people want to come to this 'so called unfair
    society'?

Maybe you can elaborate.
    I'm dying to know?

8. Lounge   -   #18
    Originally posted by Lamsey@6 April 2003 - 22:08
    I'm guessing that
    1) you're American

1) I am an American.

2) Wrong; he was elected. If, like many others, you believe he was "given" the Presidency by the Supreme Court, you would be in error. A little history:
    After the Court made it's decision, the vote count did indeed go on, though not under official auspices: it was conducted by a flock of pro-Gore liberal groups who believed that they could somehow retroactively affect the election results, or at the least cast doubt on the court's decision. About 8 months later, they announced (in a wee, small, page 20-type voice) they had finished the count, and Dubya DID win, even expanding his lead.
    So, to all who read this, drop the "Bush cheated to win" bullshit-it doesn't wash, and don't ask for a link, either. If, at this late date, you haven't availed yourself of the facts in a timely fashion, don't expect me to make it easy for you by providing a "link".

3) I am fortunate enough to live in the FAIREST society in the world. I would happily disabuse you of any proof you think you have to the contrary.

4) I LIVE my advice.

A bibliography is easy to assemble if you choose to rely on the same kind of crap you're writing; there is no shortage of wrong-headedness in print over here-it's one of the "benefits" of a FAIR society.
    If you want to rely on Mr. Moore's fact-checking, feel free. He probably commissioned a "custom" bibliography after he wrote the book.

If you want to blast Bush, thats fine. I'm sure it won't bother him; he believes in free speech.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

9. Lounge   -   #19
    Ex-member
    " blow up our shit well blow up yours"
    There are a lot of people who disagree with that ideology...

@ j2k4: I think we will have to agree to disagree on this - I guess the truth depends on who you want to believe.

@ ClubDiggler: read the book. You might also want to ask j2k4 about it to get the other point of view. It probably pays to know both sides of the argument.

10. Lounge   -   #20
    Originally posted by Lamsey@7 April 2003 - 16:00
    It probably pays to know both sides of the argument.
    Yes, it does. Not even probably.
    It is difficult (always) to entertain facts sans pre-conceptions-takes LOTS of practice. I find it helpful to be older and wiser.

I wasn't always.

-Mark Twain

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 1234512 ... LastLast