Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Log On screen for WINXP not so secure?

4play's Avatar knob jockey
    take the battery out of the motherbaord make yourself a cup of tea and put it back in after. the bios password will have magically vanished. still most people dont know that so the bios password should be fine.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #12
    harrycary's Avatar Poster
    Knoppix is a form of Linux, an open-source(free) operating system. If you burn it to a CD, you can run this operating system right from you CD drive. This is done by changing your Bios to "boot from CD first", thus allowing someone to use your PC. But, they won't be able to access Windows XP, XP Pro, NT, or 2000 if they are password protected. Other Windows versions probably are accessible since they aren't truly secure like other versions.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #13
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    set password for all accounts on the computer. (because even at the welcome screen he can rpess alt-ctrl-del twice to get to a login prompt where u can type in a username).

right click my comp>manage>users and groups (on the left)>disable any accounts you dont use that amy be there, or delete them if he has created one, and right click on the administrator account and click set password.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #14
    If he goes here and creates a boot disk,your in big trouble.He will change your passwords.The only way its safe is to lock the room . http://home.eunet.no/~pnordahl/ntpasswd/

5. Software & Hardware   -   #15
    Novice
    Hey guys thanks for all of your help, I searched google and it turns out there are ways to bypass a bios password, just see for yourself. But the main reason I want to protect my computer from people is because they do not know about spyware, adware, viruses, and all of that stuff like I do. So what I'm basically protecting here is my internet connection, and I found a way. Ive been using Sygate Firewall a little bit under 2 years and it provides you with a password protection. What I do is, I turn the password protection on by setting a password ofcourse and before I turn of my computer, I set Sygate to Block All Traffic and the next person that tries to get on cannot get into the internet without a password on Sygate. And you cant uninstall it without a password either.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #16
    Storm's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +3
    password protect the bios (like said before), and put a padlock on your computer's side panels (make sure you dont let the keys lie about )

now he cant even take the battery out of your mobo to reset the bios......

7. Software & Hardware   -   #17
    Novice
    What if I disable my DVD/Cd rom, can they still use the knoppix cd?
    "Revenge is a meal best served cold"

8. Software & Hardware   -   #18
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Quote Originally Posted by kurse
    What if I disable my DVD/Cd rom, can they still use the knoppix cd?
    no.
    how do you disable an optical drive though? you mean uninstall it(undetect it ) in the bios then lock it so they cant put it back in?
    Last edited by tesco; 04-03-2005 at 03:51 AM.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #19
    Novice
    I mean, right click on My Computer>Properties>click on Hardware Tab>Click Device Manager>Disable your DVD/CD-ROM Drive by right clicking on the drives and Click Disable. Now the next time they try to get into my computer, they can't put in a cd (Knoppix).
    "Revenge is a meal best served cold"

10. Software & Hardware   -   #20
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Quote Originally Posted by kurse
    I mean, right click on My Computer>Properties>click on Hardware Tab>Click Device Manager>Disable your DVD/CD-ROM Drive by right clicking on the drives and Click Disable. Now the next time they try to get into my computer, they can't put in a cd (Knoppix).
    oh, no, that disables it from in windows, but the knoppix cd doesn't use windows. it's a whole different operating system.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast