View Poll Results: ....would you rebel?

Voters
15. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, if the rebellion was justified.

8 53.33%
  • No, I believe in my country and it's leaders.

0 0%
  • STFU, war is just wrong, ok?

1 6.67%
  • I would shoot my own mother if she supported my country.

0 0%
  • I would shoot my own mother if she supported the rebels.

0 0%
  • Meh. I just wanna shoot manker.

6 40.00%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: If your country started a wrongful war....

GepperRankins's Avatar we want your oil!
    nearly 2% of the entire population of britain amassed in london to protest against the iraq war. not a gnat's weight eh?

now imagine how many more millions couldn't be there because of the cost, work, school or any other responsibility

plus polls suggested over 80% of the population were against the war.

i guess we just were happier to go on with our regular lives than overthrow the government

2. Lounge   -   #12
    100%'s Avatar ╚════╩═╬════╝
    Quote Originally Posted by GepperRankins
    i guess we just were happier to go on with our regular lives than overthrow the government
    good point - but it depends how "far away" it is and how much it affects our "daily lives"

3. Lounge   -   #13
    Snee's Avatar Error xɐʇuʎs BT Rep: +1
    Quote Originally Posted by j2k4
    One might reasonably question why a dissenter would shun beliefs shared by friends and loved ones.

If, however, the dissenter was a student (as opposed to one for whom the quest for knowledge is merely on-going), such a crevasse might be more easily understood.

The endemic indoctrination rampant in academia today needs to be scrubbed away by reality.
    I don't know if that was a dig at me personally or not

There are, as always reasons as to why something like it might happen.

Fkdup mentioned people being drafted.

If that happens, and they get sent to war, while dissent grows on the home-front, they might entirely miss out on what happens at home, oppressive governments have been known to use censure after all, a situation where these people then being recalled to fight the horrible rebels without being told any of the particulars of the situation isn't entirely implausible, in fact I think it has happened once or twice throughout history, and the army does its best to teach you how to follow orders after all, so there's no guarantee they'd immediately rebel in turn.

I'm pretty sure instances of members of the same family fighting on opposite sides of a conflict because they've been in contact with different elements who have influenced their opinions are more common than you think.

In the second world war this happened, and cousins of german descent, for instance, would fight on both sides, I'm fairly certain I've read about it a few times.

The same thing probably happened during your civil war, and during the revolution in China. As far as I know, the older generations weren't quite as fond of the revolution when it happened.

I really don't think you have time to make sure it isn't someone you know in a grand scale battle before firing at them.

It seems such a waste, a war.

Civil protests might take time, lots of time, but if they mean that no one has to die unnecessarily then that's the way to choose.
    Last edited by Snee; 04-24-2005 at 06:34 PM.

4. Lounge   -   #14
    fkdup74's Avatar Pneuberator.
    Quote Originally Posted by SnnY
    You are just being silly now.
    cant argue with that

Quote Originally Posted by SnnY
    I'm pretty sure instances of members of the same family fighting on opposite sides of a conflict because they've been in contact with different elements who have influenced their opinions are more common than you think.
    hence the "I'd shoot my own mother...." option

5. Lounge   -   #15
    Quote Originally Posted by j2k4
    One might reasonably question why a dissenter would shun beliefs shared by friends and loved ones.

If, however, the dissenter was a student (as opposed to one for whom the quest for knowledge is merely on-going), such a crevasse might be more easily understood.

The endemic indoctrination rampant in academia today needs to be scrubbed away by reality.
    one can have different oppinions to their family. that isn't even questionable

what about students?

lets just ban freedom of thought, that'll make the world a better place
    Last edited by GepperRankins; 04-24-2005 at 07:22 PM.

6. Lounge   -   #16
    Busyman's Avatar Use Logic Or STFU!!!
    I voted yes.

Luckily here, there would be alot of back and forth diplomacy before that ever arose.
    Silly bitch, your weapons cannot harm me. Don't you know who I am? I'm the Juggernaut, Bitchhhh!

Flies Like An Arrow, Flies Like An Apple
    ---12323---4552-----
    2133--STRENGTH--8310
    344---5--5301---3232

7. Lounge   -   #17
    Snee's Avatar Error xɐʇuʎs BT Rep: +1
    Quote Originally Posted by FKDUP74
    cant argue with that

hence the "I'd shoot my own mother...." option
    Me, i wouldn't do it on purpose though.

8. Lounge   -   #18
    I said yes but i mean no.i live in my apartment and dont get into politics and wars.

9. Lounge   -   #19
    80% said they were against it 2% were almost militant

did it need to be exaclty 51% of the population or more marching in london to be a mass movement then?

10. Lounge   -   #20
    you gotta start by making your voice heard. if people don't listen then you fight

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast