Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Looks Like Comcast Is Cracking Down

Ynhockey's Avatar Poster
    Along with using PeerGuardian or any similar program, I would recommend to switch to a less popular ISP, which means they

a) Value your membership more and won't be so swift in sending you a letter which states they will terminate your account.

B) They won't be targeted as quickly by the RIAA/MPAA.

That's all i've got to say... living in the US must suck 'cause there isn't a friggin' chance that a non-US ISP would target its users because of the RIAA/MPAA... unless it's a suck-up ISP.

2. File Sharing   -   #12
    Have you noticed how many posters have stated that Comcast, or another cable company, is their sole option for broadband. It would be the overwhelming majority. I'm in the minority for having one other choice. Public utility companies in the US are now conducting trials using AC power lines - everyone's already wired. It looks promising that they will be able to provide broadband at around $20-$30, instead of the usualy $40-$50. Then, things will probably change, with a little competition.

3. File Sharing   -   #13
    This is what i received today from aol:

Dear Member

We are writing on behalf of America Online, Inc., the provider of the AOL service to subscribers in the UK. America Online, Inc. has received a complaint from Universal Studios, Inc. that your account was used to conduct the peer-to-peer exchange of copyrighted movie files owned by its members at the following date and time without permission from the copyright owners:

01/04/2003 13:59 EST

Such alleged activity violates AOL's Conditions of Service (COS) available at Keyword: RULES. Please refrain from using your AOL account to exchange unauthorised copies of copyrighted materials.

Our COS department has placed a warning on your account as a result of this activity. Repeated violations of COS may result in termination of your account.

If the alleged activity was not conducted by yourself or a member of your family, but believe an unauthorised individual was using your AOL account at the dates and times identified above, please call us on 0800 376 7444 immediately so that we can take appropriate action to protect your account from future misuse.

Thank you for your cooperation.

If you have any further questions please email the screen name COSMonitor as this screen name cannot accept replies.

Regards,
    AOL UK Conditions of Service Department.

Can anybody help? I have norton profesional and privacy on...how can i hide???
    As a result i have stopped shearing but continue to dl . How do they know
    what im doing????

4. File Sharing   -   #14
    Well, I guess we'll all just have to suck it up and move to Israel.

5. File Sharing   -   #15
    kAb's Avatar Poster
    oh shit. this isn't good. i got attbi/comcast... i'll wait for my letter...

edit:
    i'm on lan. all my @home e-mail accounts are on my slower computer (which hosts the modem, my fast computer gets the internet connection through my router from the slower comp)

will they be able to see that i'm using klite on my faster computer?

6. File Sharing   -   #16
    FvKin GeniuS :D
    THANK GOD FOR ROAD RUNNER

:rtfmwait doesnt time warner own road runner ohh shyt guess i got to go pack my bags and go to iraq to laws on copyrighted software
    Board rule: max 500x150 Pixels (w x h)

https://filesharingtalk.com/sigs/albegaleeeee.jpg

7. File Sharing   -   #17
    Can my ip still be seen behind a router? I believe so because when on IRC I saw it show up. I am slightly confused regarding this?

8. File Sharing   -   #18
    trulyspotti's Avatar Member
    You all need to use mcfee firewall and anti virus. Also download all the up dates for your operating system. Comcast sounds like aload of shit use some one else.

There are thousands of people on k-lite, kazza etc. that dont have any nasty letters im one of them and have been sharing since the start of k-lite. I think the film company mentioned are trying to scare people. The more people that share the harder there job is.

Have you tried saying that they was uploaded with out your permission, eg hacked. Because they must have hacked you to get that info about your activity.

9. File Sharing   -   #19
    For literally millions of people, Comcast is the only game in town. Also, the anti-virus won't help at all and the firewall won't unless it's configured to exclude the latest list of IPs they're using to check on their customers. And that list keeps on growing. Not a very informed post. FYI, here is part of the Acceptable Use Policy one agrees to at the time of subscription: "Although Comcast has no obligation to monitor the Service and/or the network, Comcast and its underlying providers reserve the right at any time to monitor bandwidth, usage, transmissions, and content from time to time to operate the Service; to identify violations of this Policy; and/or to protect the network, the Service and Comcast users. " All other broadband providers have similar terms in their AUPs.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12