Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 8910111213 LastLast

Thread: War of the Worlds

WOTW sucked. I hate Tom Cruise and the horse he rode in on.

2. Movies & TV   -   #102
    How come this isnt on ares yet?

3. Movies & TV   -   #103
    Some Pictures for you humans
    Spoiler: Show

4. Movies & TV   -   #104
    Quote Originally Posted by Lincoln-Imp
    Because it's shit

I wonder if there will be a sequel to this released? I hope not as it could just turn into a shyte franchise just out to get money and have lost all touch and relation to the book.

5. Movies & TV   -   #105
    Ares is awesome, can get some good speeds on it. Usually films appear on it fairly quickly but havnt managed to get WOTW yet

6. Movies & TV   -   #106
    Barbarossa's Avatar mostly harmless
    Well I watched WOTW last night and I'd like to add my thoughts..

I thought it was awesome. It was refreshing to see a sci-fi/horror/action film from the perspective of a normal guy, not a gung-ho have-a-go hero, in fact, Tom is only forced to become a hero in order to save his daughter..

I also liked the way that rather than overburden you with CGI, the camera quite often cut to the reactions of the characters to the unfolding horror, rather than the horror itself. When it did then show what was happening, it was all the more powerful. The effects, rather than dominate the film, merely supported the suspense and horror.

There was a very dark theme to the whole film, specifically the "harvesting" of people to use as fertiliser, for what we can only assume was some kind of Martian "terraforming" ("martiaforming"?), the sort of thing that is too often missing in "gung-ho" sci-fi.

The imagery was startling and disturbing, and makes obvious reference to the Holocaust and 9/11 in a number of places.

There could be no other sensible ending (other than utter destruction). There wasn't in the original story, and I'm glad to see that this one stayed fairly close to that. (No crazy computer virus bullshit). I'm surprised the bird-thing seems to have confused alot of people, although as to why the alien shields were down is anyone's guess...

The only thing that rankled with me was that the son survived. That shouldn't have happened. Oh, and I didn't understand the need for the plane crash, or indeed how the car parked outside the house was unscathed.

Anyway, It was a bloody good thought-provoking film!

7. Movies & TV   -   #107
    Busyman's Avatar Use Logic Or STFU!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Peerzy
    Quote Originally Posted by Lincoln-Imp
    Because it's shit

I wonder if there will be a sequel to this released? I hope not as it could just turn into a shyte franchise just out to get money and have lost all touch and relation to the book.
    It's supposed to be a trilogy.
    Silly bitch, your weapons cannot harm me. Don't you know who I am? I'm the Juggernaut, Bitchhhh!

Flies Like An Arrow, Flies Like An Apple
    ---12323---4552-----
    2133--STRENGTH--8310
    344---5--5301---3232

8. Movies & TV   -   #108
    Aaron_T's Avatar A duck is watching.
    i just recently seen war of the worlds myself, i think the movie has a brilliant idea, but its not really as exciting as i imagined it to be.

i thought a lot of the movie was just stupid like that crazy old man in the cellar lol

me and my mates were laughing n the pics when we seen it, because of the bit where hes driving the car through all the traffic and there just happens to be a clear path for him lmao

and when the house is totally wrecked but the car is outside perfectly intact, on top of the rubble rofl.

i thought some of the special effects were good thought and ive give the movie a 7/10 lol, my opinion anyways

9. Movies & TV   -   #109
    wow. this movie was formulaic. Spielberg has already done this with "Duel" and "Jaws." average joe is minding his own business and then suddenly a truck/shark/aliens just appear out of thin air to chase him for no reason besides the fact that their purpose is to kill average joe. yeah nevermind that it's supposedly based on a great work of science fiction literature, it's really an "average joe gets chased" movie dressed up like sci-fi. some of the special effects were pretty neat, i liked the bit where the walkers are spraying the land with blood, and Tim Robbins' acting (as "Basement Guy") was pretty good. too bad that Basement Guy didn't fly a crop duster armed with a computer virus on a nuclear warhead into the alien mothership -- that woulda prolly made me sit up straight, rather than think "hmm, oh, more scenes of people getting squished, mashed, chopped, shredded, pulped, juiced, fried and grilled."

and Dakota Fanning squeaking and squealing and shrieking every 30 seconds... bleh. after a few minutes of that i was like "ENOUGH OF THAT, ALREADY. i get the idea, she's an annoying little wide-eyed cherub who's going to pee in her diaper any moment now. just please give my ears a rest."

i still prefer "Duel" and "Jaws," as far as Spielberg movies that are cut from the same "guy gets chased" pattern. those movies have a sort of psychological/emotional weight to them... it's easy to sympathize with the guys in those movies when they look back over their shoulders and go "oh crap, here it comes again. WHY ME???" War Of The Worlds is such a bummer, emotionally. its ending is so fake, so very very fake -- billions of people got toasted, yet "oh, look who's survived just by virtue of being family & relatives of the Tom Cruise average joe character." i don't think that's a nitpick about a piddly detail. i mean this movie's emotional gestures are an afterthought. the feelings conveyed by something like "Independence Day" may be super-cliche, too idealistic, but at least they're sincere... i may not agree with the idea that patriotism & multi-cultural harmony can save the day, but i can appreciate that Roland Emmerich seems to believe in what his movie is saying. "what saves the average joe's family from the aliens in War Of The Worlds? the power of his LOVE." is that supposed to be a joke, Spielberg? they're saved by good karma??? it just feels dishonest.

i think the emotional dishonesty of WOTW's ending is the same thing that Spielberg did with A.I. actually. there was a movie that was pretty good until the last 15 or 20 minutes, then it's as if Spielberg decided that the audience prolly needs a happy ending. so instead of ending it with the boy-robot destined to rot at the bottom of the sea, the movie turns around and says "relax! just kidding! Pinocchio doesn't really die, he gets saved by aliens."

Spielberg's by no means my favorite director, but i've seen enough of his stuff that i just know he could've done better than this. he could have given the audience a little something to laugh about, to cry about, and to cheer about... he's done it plenty of times before and he still knows how to do it. but instead, we get Earth turned into the best-looking CGI abbatoire ever committed to film and a tacked-on happy ending that doesn't seem sincere at all. technically it's VERY impressive, the movie looks great and the effects & action are alright. the family drama had potential, but it just didn't work and it's impossible to ignore.
    Last edited by 3RA1N1AC; 07-20-2005 at 08:27 AM.

10. Movies & TV   -   #110
    Poster
    what was so important about the birds in this film? i watched it 3 times and still couldnt figure out what the birds had to do with this movie

Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 8910111213 LastLast