Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Are you bigoted?

JPaul's Avatar Fat Secret Agent
    Quote Originally Posted by bigboab
    Quote Originally Posted by JPaul
    What do you mean "If it helps I will change that to 'Does not help the cause of abolishing bigotry'"

That is an entirely different proposition from your original one. So no, it doesn't help, it actually confuses matters.

Are you still saying "I think that in the area we come from bigotry has been created by separate schools for different religions" or are you retracting that statement.
    No I am not retracting that statement.
    Then your position is idiotic, "I think that in the area we come from bigotry has been created by separate schools for different religions" is patently nonsensical.

That would mean that prior to "schools for different religions" bigotry did not exist. How can you possibly make this contention.

2. Lounge   -   #42
    bigboab's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    Quote Originally Posted by JPaul
    Quote Originally Posted by bigboab

No I am not retracting that statement.
    Then your position is idiotic, "I think that in the area we come from bigotry has been created by separate schools for different religions" is patently nonsensical.

That would mean that prior to "schools for different religions" bigotry did not exist. How can you possibly make this contention.
    That was not the intention of my statement and you know it. If I had said 'fosters' you would still have harangued. Once you get on your pious high horse there is no stopping you. I will post no further on the subject(my pigtails are sore). So right or wrong you can have your usual 'last word'.
    The best way to keep a secret:- Tell everyone not to tell anyone.

3. Lounge   -   #43
    (>Zero Cool<)'s Avatar he is Spartacus!
    about four feet that way......no the other way
    Quote Originally Posted by SnnY
    Quote Originally Posted by (>Zero Cool<)
    @snny, to be honest i'm not sure anymore what i meant I guess the point that was made when I had the conversation was that although you may think of yourelf as not being any of the various ist's or ism's mentioned above if you are really honest with yourself there are situations that you pre-judge (sp or manker as I will now refer to it) people when you learn a certain piece of info about them e.g. race, colour, religious belief, nationality etc etc
    Like I said, I don't think "pre-judging" someone makes you part of any -ism on its own.
    perhaps not, i guess i will need some more advert time to ponder this

jp.....you can get as annoyed as you like, it is unusual to class something as a 'debate' in which you can call your so called opponent an 'arsehole', perhaps i have picked bob up wrong but you cannot deny that seperate schools inflames any potential problem - which is generally what i think he is stating. I also agree with you that it is far from being the root cause but it certainly does not help matters.

4. Lounge   -   #44
    Snee's Avatar Error xɐʇuʎs BT Rep: +1
    Let's all go argue about this in one of vid's topics instead, that's what they are there for.

STFU, minions.
    Last edited by Snee; 06-14-2005 at 10:11 PM.

5. Lounge   -   #45
    GepperRankins's Avatar we want your oil!
    sectarianism causes bigotry. trying to deny it is just ignorant IMO

6. Lounge   -   #46
    Quote Originally Posted by GepperRankins
    sectarianism causes bigotry. trying to deny it is just ignorant IMO
    I agree.

7. Lounge   -   #47
    Rat Faced's Avatar Broken
    I hate everyone equally... am I bigoted?

An It Harm None, Do What You Will

8. Lounge   -   #48
    (>Zero Cool<)'s Avatar he is Spartacus!
    about four feet that way......no the other way
    Quote Originally Posted by Busyman
    Who teh fuck are you?
    nicely put

do you polish your spoon often?

9. Lounge   -   #49
    peat moss's Avatar Software Farmer BT Rep: +15BT Rep +15BT Rep +15
    I may have been earlier in life , but not now. Most of my white sons friends are multi coloured. They don't seem to ask about why is he black or brown. It starts with the parents being tolerant ,mabye ? And showing by example I think.

10. Lounge   -   #50
    Quote Originally Posted by peat moss
    It starts with the parents being tolerant ,mabye ? And showing by example I think.
    I agree. You, Sir have hit the nail squarely on the head.

As with most things the single biggest influence is the parental one. It starts from birth and for most people it is daily and unrelenting. Whether the parents know it or not.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast