Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Sharing a broadband connectiona

Wow thanks kazaa I will look at all those links.

Incidently, what is a router?

Sam

2. Software & Hardware   -   #12
    Actually dont worry ive found out.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #13
    GepperRankins's Avatar we want your oil!
    at pc world you can get a four port hub. 2 x 2 metre cables, and two 10/100Mb pci cards for about £15

get that and get a long cat-5 cable from somewhere else. (i've heard pcworld are a rip-off for them)

if both PCs have onboard networking or cards already in you can just buy a cable and turn it into a crossover cable.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #14
    Mr. Mulder's Avatar pepper your angus BT Rep: +10BT Rep +10
    Quote Originally Posted by GepperRankins
    get that and get a long cat-5 cable from somewhere else. (i've heard pcworld are a rip-off for them)
    they are, it's cheaper to make your own, just don't buy crimps from them

5. Software & Hardware   -   #15
    lynx's Avatar .
    Even if you are going for a wired system you will still need a router, so there's no need to make cross-over cables.

The best solution in a bungalow is probably to run the cable in the roof space. That way you only need two small holes in the ceiling.

Here are some suitable cables here depending on the length you need.

If you want to make your own cables (for smaller, neater holes) here's what you need:
    Here's a cheap crimp tool
    RJ45 Connectors
    Simply get a made-up cable of the right length and cut off one of the existing connectors. Then feed the cable, and attach a new connector with the internal wires in the same positions as the original.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #16
    GepperRankins's Avatar we want your oil!
    you don't need a router at all.

in my my house we use internet connection sharing in windows.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #17
    Thanks or the tip Lynx.

Gepper - yeah but you need the computer with the connection to be on all the time. Also, my dad needs to plug in his laptop so a router is the best option.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #18
    Ok I got two realtek network cards and they were recognised ok by windows. I also got them running on their own IRQs cos I heard otherwise it could cause problems. I have ordered a netgear rp614 router, which is in the post. I need to buy a suitable ADSL modem though... any particular favourites?

Thanks,
    Sam

9. Software & Hardware   -   #19
    lynx's Avatar .
    If it isn't too late, cancel the order on the Netgear router and get a combined ADSL modem-router. It will cost about the same as the router on it's own.

I've had a look on ebuyer, all their modems with ethernet interface seem to have a built-in router.

Here's a list of what they've got, you just need to make sure that you get one with multiple ports. I haven't tried any of those personally so I can't give recommendations.

I think you should also look at some of the wireless modem/router options too. For very little extra you give yourself the option of going wireless but still having the ports necessary for wired connection.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #20
    Argh damn, too late. Oh well it was only a tenner for the router and £15 for the modem so I'm sure I didn't waste too much. Just gotta hope it all works. Thanks for the help guys,

Sam

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast