Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Sharing a broadband connectiona

Hey there.

Right, I've got my router hooked up to myPC, and the modem hooked into that. The pc has recognised that it is connected to the network. How do I make it find the modem?

Thanks, Sam.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #22
    I'm running windows XP by the way.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #23
    lynx's Avatar .
    What modem did you get?
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #24
    I got a "Creative Broadband Blaster" modem.

I managed to connect to it from the pc now though so don't worry. I just need those splitters in the post and then I can sign up to broadband at last YAY!

Is there any sort of test I can do in the meantime to make sure I'm in range of the switchboard?

Thanks again.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #25
    lynx's Avatar .
    If the adsl is activated you can just plug it in and start using it.

The splitters (filters) are for the phone side of things not the adsl, they stop the adsl signal causing hisses and pops on the phone.

If the adsl signal is activated you may get some funny effects on your phone (and things like fax and analogue modem) but you will get those whether or not you connect your adsl modem.

Edit: just realised you said you haven't even signed up yet. That's an unusual way of going about it, most people sign up and get the free modem, but it usually means they are stuck with the ISP for 12 months.

If you've got a BT line I recommend freedom2surf. They don't supply hardware, and you have to pay for connection, but after that it is by far the fastest/cheapest service around.
    Last edited by lynx; 06-30-2005 at 11:50 PM.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #26
    Yes exactly, I was thinking of signing up to freedom2surf, and they don't provide you with a modem. That's why I bought it. So I need to talk to them first right? So they can enable my line or something?

Sam

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123