Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Hate On Me For Believing In A Minimalist Government

vidcc's Avatar there is no god
    I would also like to address what I think is a slight "myth" that welfare states take more tax than the USA. I am not saying that all are identical, but instead putting a theory.

Firstly a lot depends on where one lives in the USA as to what type of tax one pays and the amount, so please no individual "but I don't have to pay this or that"
    Income tax, property tax (however it is manifested) etc is pretty close, so I will concentrate on gas/petrol tax as it "appears" to be heavily taxed in the UK.

But this may just be an accounting illusion. The UK charges a lot in tax but they don't sell as much, so I bet that as a total tax take the US pays just as much in actual fuel tax per capita or at least close to the amount. This is possible because of our love of gas guzzlers the size of the country meaning we have to drive greater distances and our love of driving in general. If we all drove less and had fuel efficient cars it may be that fuel tax has to rise in proportion to meet the financial needs.
    Just a theory

it’s an election with no Democrats, in one of the whitest states in the union, where rich candidates pay $35 for your votes. Or, as Republicans call it, their vision for the future.

2. The Drawing Room   -   #12
    JPaul's Avatar Fat Secret Agent
    The National Health Service if funded by National Insurance contributions, as far as I can remember.

3. The Drawing Room   -   #13
    Quote Originally Posted by vidcc
    But this may just be an accounting illusion. The UK charges a lot in tax but they don't sell as much, so I bet that as a total tax take the US pays just as much in actual fuel tax per capita or at least close to the amount. This is possible because of our love of gas guzzlers the size of the country meaning we have to drive greater distances and our love of driving in general. If we all drove less and had fuel efficient cars it may be that fuel tax has to rise in proportion to meet the financial needs.
    Just a theory
    That doesn't make sense to me.

Top of the head figures here but say our duty and taxes are four times your's, but our cars are three times more economic (which I doubt) then our tax is still relativelty higher.

The actual miles driving shouldn't really matter that much on a pro rata comparison. In fact longer journeys would tend to up the efficiency.

4. The Drawing Room   -   #14
    Quote Originally Posted by JPaul
    The National Health Service if funded by National Insurance contributions, as far as I can remember.
    Yes it is but can you state that no other money raised from other sources goes to it?
    The thread is titled "Believing In A Minimalist Government" which is why I have been talking tax take as well as healthcare.

it’s an election with no Democrats, in one of the whitest states in the union, where rich candidates pay $35 for your votes. Or, as Republicans call it, their vision for the future.

5. The Drawing Room   -   #15
    [QUOTE=JPaul]

That doesn't make sense to me.

Top of the head figures here but say our duty and taxes are four times your's, but our cars are three times more economic (which I doubt) then our tax is still relativelty higher.

The actual miles driving shouldn't really matter that much on a pro rata comparison. In fact longer journeys would tend to up the efficiency.
    The efficiency is upped but Journey distances are generally far greater in the US than the UK and here people drive more. I don't know if you have been to the USA but it really is vast.

It works on the same theory that a hypermarket makes more profit selling stuff cheaper because of the amount it sells than a smaller store that sells the same stuff 25% more expensive but doesn't sell as much quantity.

6. The Drawing Room   -   #16
    Yes it is but can you state that no other money raised from other sources goes to it?
    That's a bit passive aggresive, old bean.

I am told that it is funded from National Insurance contributions, I posted as such. If you find this in some way offensive then you have my apologies.

I cannot state categorically that it is not bolstered by funds from elsewhere, but then neither do I really care if it is.

PS There is little that you, or anyone else, can state without doubt. We just take some things on trust. I believe China exists, but have never been. I just take it on trust.

7. The Drawing Room   -   #17

I am told that it is funded from National Insurance contributions, I posted as such. If you find this in some way offensive then you have my apologies.
    why would I find it offensive? I merely pointed out that I believe you are not entirely correct. I believe it is indeed "bolstered" buy other means.

dial 911 .... there are reports of a missing "s"

8. The Drawing Room   -   #18
    GepperRankins's Avatar we want your oil!
    national insurance is just a tag. we pay 50% or 30% tax. contribution doesn't mean voluntery so i just think of it as a tag. maybe more than 10% of ones income goes to the NHS, maybe less.
    really all the money gets tipped into the government purse then shared out.

also doesn't having more roads = more maintenance?

there's a situation in the UK now where they're planning to put congestion charges on trains. i always thought one major reason we paid so much road tax and fuel duty was to fund (subsidise?) public transport. shouldn't they spend that money on longer trains rather than force them off/charge people more?

hmm, maybe i should have started a new topic

9. The Drawing Room   -   #19

why would I find it offensive? I merely pointed out that I believe you are not entirely correct. I believe it is indeed "bolstered" buy other means.

dial 911 .... there are reports of a missing "s"
    Just by your reaction to what was the most bland of bland posts I could muster. Which even had an "as far as I can remember" in it.

"The National Health Service if funded by National Insurance contributions, as far as I can remember."

Rather than a simple, "I believe that the NHS may be funded from elsewhere in addition to NI contributions" or similar.

You went for

" Yes it is but can you state that no other money raised from other sources goes to it?"

Which is rather more interrogatory.

No big deal tho'.

10. The Drawing Room   -   #20
    Quote Originally Posted by GepperRankins

there's a situation in the UK now where they're planning to put congestion charges on trains. i always thought one major reason we paid so much road tax and fuel duty was to fund (subsidise?) public transport. shouldn't they spend that money on longer trains rather than force them off/charge people more?

hmm, maybe i should have started a new topic
    On trains?????????????

I thought the congestion charge in cities was to get people onto trains

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast