Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Currently Active Users: 159 (37 members and 122 guests)

Vargas's Avatar gone fishin'
    Guests rule, Members drool
    ain't nothing that pisses me off more then "having to sign up" places, i almost quit visiting here when you got rid of the guest forum and i had to join.
    the only way for p2p to win is to educate n00bs on the ins and outs of file sharing, guest or not. there is strength in numbers.
    plus the fact that guest might be more inclined to click an ad here then the members that don't even see them because of repetition of seeing them.

my 2½¢
    Last edited by Vargas; 07-02-2005 at 11:08 AM.

2. Everything Related to the Board   -   #32
    manker's Avatar effendi
    Quote Originally Posted by Rat Faced
    Yeah...

But the question i'm asking is:

Why do you want more inactive members?

They only post if they're interested in something; and cant post unless they become a member..

I'd rather keep them as guests if they aint gonna post.

It wasnt so long ago that the members were asking for a cleanout of non posting members
    Quote Originally Posted by manker
    Even if it only yields two or three more participating members each month, then I think it's worth it. It can't be of any detriment to the forum, which is the main thing.
    I plan on beating him to death with his kids. I'll use them as a bludgeon on his face. -

--Good for them if they survive.

3. Everything Related to the Board   -   #33
    manker's Avatar effendi
    Quote Originally Posted by Vargas
    ain't nothing that pisses me off more then "having to sign up" places, i almost quit visiting here when you got rid of the guest forum and i had to join.
    the only way for p2p to win is to educate guests on the ins and outs of file sharing, guest or not. there is strength in numbers.
    plus the fact that guest might be more inclined to click an ad here then the members that don't even see them because of repetition of seeing them.
    See.

We wouldn't have gotten Vargas to join if he could have lurked forever. A few regular guests may load up FST on the day that it's not viewable to guests and suddenly decide to join and post, they could turn out to be just as valuable a contributor as Vargas, who knows.

M'lud. Consider the case at rest.
    I plan on beating him to death with his kids. I'll use them as a bludgeon on his face. -

4. Everything Related to the Board   -   #34
    the only way for p2p to win is to educate guests on the ins and outs of file sharing, guest or not. there is strength in numbers.
    See.

We wouldn't have gotten Vargas to join if he could have lurked forever. A few regular guests may load up FST on the day that it's not viewable to guests and suddenly decide to join and post, they could turn out to be just as valuable a contributor as Vargas, who knows.
    actually i was a regular "guest" poster before i joined, i almost left when guests couldn't post anymore.
    Last edited by Vargas; 07-02-2005 at 11:12 AM.

5. Everything Related to the Board   -   #35
    manker's Avatar effendi
    See.

actually i was a regular "guest" poster before i joined, i almost left when guests couldn't post anymore.
    Damnit!

Same principle, tho'

6. Everything Related to the Board   -   #36
    Rat Faced's Avatar Broken
    Damnit!

Same principle, tho'

So is euthanasia and putting a dog down when its in pain though...

Same principles dont mean squat

An It Harm None, Do What You Will

7. Everything Related to the Board   -   #37
    manker's Avatar effendi
    Damnit!

Same principle, tho'

So is euthanasia and putting a dog down when its in pain though...

Same principles dont mean squat
    If they don't mean squat, then they must mean something.

Astutely observed, RF.

8. Everything Related to the Board   -   #38
    Rat Faced's Avatar Broken
    Ah.. the problems with semantics when talking to you or JP...

I still cant see your argument though

I'd rather one active member signed up than 100 non active.

I believe the number of potential people that will just not look is greater than the number that will sign up and start frantically posting.

The ones that will be active will register if they can see whats there, and may not even hang around if they have to register to look.

They may also remember the name and not bother looking the next time they google their question, in the mistaken belief that they have to register for that site.

And you know what i mean... im too bloody tired to try and tidy the english up

An It Harm None, Do What You Will

9. Everything Related to the Board   -   #39
    My main reason for joining:
    the only way for p2p to win is to educate n00bs on the ins and outs of file sharing, guest or not. there is strength in numbers.
    if the only thing i wanted was to chat with regular members, and make fun of n00bs, i would have been gone long ago.
    Last edited by Vargas; 07-02-2005 at 11:29 AM.

10. Everything Related to the Board   -   #40
    manker's Avatar effendi
    Ah.. the problems with semantics when talking to you or JP...

I still cant see your argument though

I'd rather one active member signed up than 100 non active.

I believe the number of potential people that will just not look is greater than the number that will sign up and start frantically posting.

The ones that will be active will register if they can see whats there, and may not even hang around if they have to register to look.

They may also remember the name and not bother looking the next time they google their question, in the mistaken belief that they have to register for that site.

And you know what i mean... im too bloody tired to try and tidy the english up
    Tch, you highlight semantics when it was you that brought dead dogs to the table. V. poor.

Anyhow, you certainly have a point. It could be that the number of sign-ups will decrease on the days that the forum is closed to guests.

If this is the case, of course, I will renounce this plan as a bad one and presumably the forum will revert to how it is now.

We'll never actually know until we try, tho'. It might just be a good idea

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast