Thread: Gaming anograms??

Busyman's Avatar Use Logic Or STFU!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Skizo
    From www.Dictionary.com

acronym

n : a word formed from the initial letters of a multi-word name

an·a·gram
    n.
    A word or phrase formed by reordering the letters of another word or phrase, such as satin to stain.

ab·bre·vi·a·tion
    n.
    A shortened form of a word or phrase used chiefly in writing to represent the complete form, such as Mass. for Massachusetts or USMC for United States Marine Corps.

-------------------------------------------------

From Meriam-Webster www.m-w.com

ac·ro·nym

: a word (as NATO, radar, or snafu) formed from the initial letter or letters of each of the successive parts or major parts of a compound term; also : an abbreviation (as FBI) formed from initial letters

an·a·gram

: a word or phrase made by transposing the letters of another word or phrase

ab·bre·vi·a·tion

a shortened form of a written word or phrase used in place of the whole <amt is an abbreviation for amount>

Merriam-Websters thesaurus results - Link

-----------------------------------------------------------

Take your pick.. They all say the same thing....that I'm right. Case closed for me. I don't need to argue this anymore, it's going nowhere.
    I hate googlers to an extent. If you see it online it must be correct, right?

So many people call shit like FBI an acronym and that it made it into the dictionary. Do you think I made something like that up? Words can be pronounced as written. Acronyms are words (although made up of course).

Enough ignorant folk like yourself had a brick and made a tower.
    Last edited by Busyman; 07-11-2005 at 10:41 PM.
    Silly bitch, your weapons cannot harm me. Don't you know who I am? I'm the Juggernaut, Bitchhhh!

Flies Like An Arrow, Flies Like An Apple
    ---12323---4552-----
    2133--STRENGTH--8310
    344---5--5301---3232

2. Games   -   #32
    Quote Originally Posted by asmithz
    Quote Originally Posted by Skizo
    ac·ro·nym

: a word (as NATO, radar, or snafu) formed from the initial letter or letters of each of the successive parts or major parts of a compound term; also : an abbreviation (as FBI) formed from initial letters
    Makes it sound like you both are right.
    Stand up please.

I think Skizo is finished.
    Silly bitch, your weapons cannot harm me. Don't you know who I am? I'm the Juggernaut, Bitchhhh!

---12323---4552-----
    2133--STRENGTH--8310
    344---5--5301---3232

3. Games   -   #33
    MCHeshPants420's Avatar Fake Shemp
    Quote Originally Posted by Busyman

So many people call shit like FBI an acronym and that it made it into the dictionary. Do you think I made something like that up? Words can be pronounced as written. Acronyms are words (although made up of course).

I hate this googling mentality as well. The internet is plagued with crappy sites with dodgy facts. The online dictionaries are not consistent with each other and the two used by skizo are next to useless. At least use a credible dictionary.

Now I studied rhetoric last year in my English degree. I was lectured by an American professor of English language. Her explanation was that acronyms are a form of abbreviation, they form a pronouncable word. Initialism is what we call it when we have an abbreviation like FBI or NFL.

If you need further proof then the example I posted supports this. Look at the words "acrostic" and "acronym" together. Both have the same prefix so should mean the same kind of thing. If acronym means what some of the google-numbskulls are saying then every poem ever written can be described as "acrostic".
    Last edited by MCHeshPants420; 07-11-2005 at 10:55 PM.

4. Games   -   #34
    asmithz's Avatar Hi-Definition

Makes it sound like you both are right.
    Stand up please.

Why does this bother you so much, its so pointless. Ok your right, does that make a differnace. Not to me, at all.

5. Games   -   #35
    Stand up please.

Why does this bother you so much, its so pointless. Ok your right, does that make a differnace. Not to me, at all.
    I must remember...most of you are sheep and do not seek to learn anything....except the first hit on Google.

Of course it makes no difference to you. Skizo has zipped up and you can go to your next job.
    Last edited by Busyman; 07-11-2005 at 11:06 PM.

---12323---4552-----
    2133--STRENGTH--8310
    344---5--5301---3232

6. Games   -   #36
    asmithz's Avatar Hi-Definition

I must remember...most of you are sheep and do not seek to learn anything....except the first hit on Google.

Of course it makes no difference to you. Skizo has zipped up and you can go to your next job.
    Yep your so right

Does making a fuse on the internet make you sleep better at night?
    Last edited by asmithz; 07-11-2005 at 11:08 PM.

7. Games   -   #37
    Quote Originally Posted by MCHeshPants420

I hate this googling mentality as well. The internet is plagued with crappy sites with dodgy facts. The online dictionaries are not consistent with each other and the two used by skizo are next to useless. At least use a credible dictionary.

Now I studied rhetoric last year in my English degree. I was lectured by an American professor of English language. Her explanation was that acronyms are a form of abbreviation, they form a pronouncable word. Initialism is what we call it when we have an abbreviation like FBI or NFL.

If you need further proof then the example I posted supports this. Look at the words "acrostic" and "acronym" together. Both have the same prefix so should mean the same kind of thing. If acronym means what some of the google-numbskulls are saying then every poem ever written can be described as "acrostic".
    That was a pretty good site and it went along mostly with what I learned.
    It offered some new info as well.

Thank you.

---12323---4552-----
    2133--STRENGTH--8310
    344---5--5301---3232

8. Games   -   #38
    GepperRankins's Avatar we want your oil!
    an acronym is an abbreviation but an abbreviation is not an acronym... 'k?

9. Games   -   #39
    From post #7
    All acronyms are abbreviations but not vice-versa.

---12323---4552-----
    2133--STRENGTH--8310
    344---5--5301---3232

10. Games   -   #40
    GepperRankins's Avatar we want your oil!
    From post #7
    All acronyms are abbreviations but not vice-versa.
    but i tend to ignore your posts.

j/k

why the google hating though? surely kids learning things and doing research is good

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast