Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Migrating Data To A New Hdd

Poster
    Ok, I wasn't sure because I had a successful conversion of my secondary HDD when I switched to XP. It took like 20 mins to go from FAT to NTFS, but I guess that could open up for errors.

It will be fine to just do it correctly without rush, and format the drive for NTFS. Now I will want to sell my 60gig HDD to someone when I get my files copied to the new one.

Shit, I could sell it with all my files on it, movies, music, etc. Any takers, let me know.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #12
    Poster
    ARE you using Windows98?

If you are, then you could use Long File Copy (LFN), in DOS mode.

This will copy all files from one hard drive, onto another. Copies hidden files, long file names,system files, irregular files, folders, and sub folders. It will copy from a CDROM too, without marking all files as 'read only'.

I use LFN to copy a hard drive with Windows freshly installed. I make an exact copy onto another hard drive as a spare backup for emergencies. I usually burn a copy onto a CDR, from the backup hard drive. Then I can erase the hard drive.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #13
    Benno's Avatar Poster
    Originally posted by mobboss01@13 April 2003 - 06:25
    It will be fine to just do it correctly without rush, and format the drive for NTFS. Now I will want to sell my 60gig HDD to someone when I get my files copied to the new one.

Shit, I could sell it with all my files on it, movies, music, etc. Any takers, let me know.
    Where do you live?

You Better Keep In Mind That I Can Read Between The Lines

Never argue with an idiot, they drag you down to there level and beat you with experience!!

4. Software & Hardware   -   #14
    Poster
    I do not have windows98, but that would be great to copy all the hidden files and folders too.

Benno, I live on Long Island, NY. I figure that why wipe out all my stuff, the HDD would be most valuable to someone here with all the goodies on it. It would be just as easy to copy the data to the new one and keep my app installers, music, and movies on there. Looks like about 30gig of goodies.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #15
    Benno's Avatar Poster
    I would love to get your HD. But I live in Austria, a bit far away , and I just bought a new 80gig HD so I cant afford another one now.

But I think this would be a great Idea and you probably gonna find someone on the forum who would like to get it.

You Better Keep In Mind That I Can Read Between The Lines

Never argue with an idiot, they drag you down to there level and beat you with experience!!

6. Software & Hardware   -   #16
    Originally posted by mobboss01@13 April 2003 - 16:34
    I do not have windows98, but that would be great to copy all the hidden files and folders too.

Benno, I live on Long Island, NY. I figure that why wipe out all my stuff, the HDD would be most valuable to someone here with all the goodies on it. It would be just as easy to copy the data to the new one and keep my app installers, music, and movies on there. Looks like about 30gig of goodies.
    W00T respect ~

Brooklyn, New York~~

heh i ordered from newegg

7. Software & Hardware   -   #17
    Poster
    Respect Soul, had no clue you were from da area. I am off to Manhattan today with a hot Brazillian. Hope we hit it off.

You ordered what, a HDD? Too bad, mine is better...its got cool shit on it. B)

8. Software & Hardware   -   #18
    fun fun... it finnaly got warmer.... 60ish degress today! i shoulda went out... o well

9. Software & Hardware   -   #19
    Poster
    Yeah, but you know, being a computer lover...I could just as easliy stay in and have fun. I doubt I'll get any play in the afternoon here, but maybe one day will lead to another night.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #20
    lol get a webcam from logitech... or keep on dreaming either ones gonna work eventually lolz

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12