Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: j2k4's United Nations.

j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    Quote Originally Posted by JPaul
    Quote Originally Posted by Busyman

I doubt Britain (better yet the UK), for instance, could support 30 soccer teams...with TV and stadiums for each...and it be viable. Your country is too small.
    I take it this is an attempted rod, if so it's a V Poor one.
    Without expounding on the quality of the rod (about which I know naught ), I would say that the U.K. is a hot-bed of football (their brand, of course), and as such produces practitioners in numbers out of all proportion to their population; a similar situation on the domestic side might be the state of Indiana and it's love of and penchant for the sport of basketball, yes?
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

2. Lounge   -   #32
    JPaul's Avatar Fat Secret Agent
    Quote Originally Posted by j2k4
    Without expounding on the quality of the rod (about which I know naught ), I would say that the U.K. is a hot-bed of football (their brand, of course), and as such produces practitioners in numbers out of all proportion to their population;
    Well spectators in numbers out of proportion, but your point is well made.

I would venture that our participation rate in the national sport is proportionately higher than yours, however that is no more than a guess and may well be pish.

3. Lounge   -   #33

Without expounding on the quality of the rod (about which I know naught ), I would say that the U.K. is a hot-bed of football (their brand, of course), and as such produces practitioners in numbers out of all proportion to their population;
    Well spectators in numbers out of proportion, but your point is well made.

I would venture that our participation rate in the national sport is proportionately higher than yours, however that is no more than a guess and may well be pish.
    Pish?

Not likely.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

4. Lounge   -   #34
    Busyman's Avatar Use Logic Or STFU!!!
    Without expounding on the quality of the rod (about which I know naught ), I would say that the U.K. is a hot-bed of football (their brand, of course), and as such produces practitioners in numbers out of all proportion to their population; a similar situation on the domestic side might be the state of Indiana and it's love of and penchant for the sport of basketball, yes?
    Totally different.

I said 30 teams with stadiums...all in Britain.

No one's talking of "how much said sport is loved". It's irregardless to population.

I thought that was CaptianObvious without me having to actually say it.
    Silly bitch, your weapons cannot harm me. Don't you know who I am? I'm the Juggernaut, Bitchhhh!

Flies Like An Arrow, Flies Like An Apple
    ---12323---4552-----
    2133--STRENGTH--8310
    344---5--5301---3232

5. Lounge   -   #35
    Quote Originally Posted by Tikibonbon
    @Tiki - Canada having a basball team (or basketball) has nothing to do with a "national" team. It's not like the Toronto Blue Jays have all Canadian born players.
    I wasn't refering to the national team when I spoke of Toronto, I was refering to there being a non-American (locationwise) team being eligible to play in the World Series.

P.S., I cntinued this earlier in Sports World so as not to mess up this topic so we can enjoy it and all its silliness.
    Gotcha but that's moot 'cause Peerzy has got it wrong....again.

MLB ain't about countries. It's a league.
    Silly bitch, your weapons cannot harm me. Don't you know who I am? I'm the Juggernaut, Bitchhhh!

---12323---4552-----
    2133--STRENGTH--8310
    344---5--5301---3232

6. Lounge   -   #36
    Rat Faced's Avatar Broken
    There are currently at least 3 Sports Stadiums in Newcastle alone (Football, Rugby and Athletics)..

Newcastle isnt a big city.

Every team in the Premiership has a Stadium, and i would suspect every team in the 1st Division.. as they wouldnt be able to compete in the Premiership without one.

Thats just England...

I KNOW Scotland have a few lying around, and then theres Cardiff & Wembley...

What was the question again...

An It Harm None, Do What You Will

7. Lounge   -   #37
    Quote Originally Posted by Rat Faced
    There are currently at least 3 Sports Stadiums in Newcastle alone (Football, Rugby and Athletics)..

Newcastle isnt a big city.

Every team in the Premiership has a Stadium, and i would suspect every team in the 1st Division.. as they wouldnt be able to compete in the Premiership without one.

Thats just England...

I KNOW Scotland have a few lying around, and then theres Cardiff & Wembley...

What was the question again...
    Do you have 30?

Oh that's what I thought.

Still you miss the point. The three in Newcastle seem to be for different sports.

We've got 30 baseball, 31 basketball, and 32 football teams each with their own stadiums.

Different population and country make-up entirely.
    Last edited by Busyman; 08-28-2005 at 06:57 PM.

---12323---4552-----
    2133--STRENGTH--8310
    344---5--5301---3232

8. Lounge   -   #38
    This is much less tedious than a discussion of the U.N.

What is the capacity of your average stadium...is rugby played in the same stadia as football/soccer?

What about cricket?

Are these multi-use venues?

-Mark Twain

9. Lounge   -   #39
    We've got 30 baseball, 31 basketball, and 32 football teams each with their own stadiums.
    minus one or two exceptions. the Raiders and the A's play in the same stadium, for example.

10. Lounge   -   #40
    JPaul's Avatar Fat Secret Agent

Totally different.

I said 30 teams with stadiums...all in Britain.

No one's talking of "how much said sport is loved". It's irregardless to population.

I thought that was CaptianObvious without me having to actually say it.
    You mean it really isn't a rod, you actually are that ignorant of soccer in the UK.

Every team in the English Premiership has it's own ground, there are 20 there alone. There are several games televised live each week, those which are not are shown in full later on. Several of the clubs have their own TV stations. Try to get a ticket to get into someplace like Old Trafford (Man Utd) to see a serious game, bet you can't.

There are 24 teams in the English Championship (the League below) all the teams have their own grounds (I'm 99% certain of that, ground sharing is very uncommon in the UK). Several games are shown live each week, with highlights being shown for the other ones.

There are a further 2 leagues below that, each with 24 teams. Almost certainly the majority of these have their own grounds.

That's just England.

There are 12 Teams in the Scottish Premier League, all of whom have their own ground. There is at least one live televised game a week, with highlights of the rest being shown. Both Celtic and rangers have their own TV station, which show every game they play in (not live but in full). Celtic Park has a capacity of just under 60,000 and is generally full or very near to it, I'm sure Castle Greyskull is the same.

There are other minor leagues in Scotland. I don't know the situation in Wales or Ireland.

FFS we also get live football from Italy, Spain, Germany and France (that I know of).

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast