Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Celebrities And Their Opinions

Poster
    Originally posted by j2k4+25 April 2003 - 04:23--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (j2k4 @ 25 April 2003 - 04:23)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
    Originally posted by -hobbes@24 April 2003 - 22:17
    Originally posted by -j2k4@25 April 2003 - 03:54
    <!--QuoteBegin--clocker
    @24 April 2003 - 19:36
    Out of idle curiousity j2, what is the origin of the "Renfield" honorific? Dracula?

By Netty Dingo, we got a bingo&#33;

Yup-he also portrayed Ygor in lots of Frankenstein movies.

Not Renfield and Stimpy, the cartoon? I was so sure&#33;
    Alright-

Who&#39;s really in charge of comic relief around here?

Wouldn&#39;t mind hearing a sane voice here, Hobbes-leave something worthwhile, huh?

I&#39;m gonna go play with my wife for a bit. B)[/b][/quote]
    Nice one,you can&#39;t beat a good game of scrabble in front of the fire I&#39;m told

Take care J,hope you had a good easter break.

2. The Drawing Room   -   #52
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    Originally posted by DiogenesUK+25 April 2003 - 12:57--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (DiogenesUK @ 25 April 2003 - 12:57)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
    Originally posted by -j2k4@25 April 2003 - 04:23
    Originally posted by -hobbes@24 April 2003 - 22:17
    Originally posted by -j2k4@25 April 2003 - 03:54
    <!--QuoteBegin--clocker
    @24 April 2003 - 19:36
    Out of idle curiousity j2, what is the origin of the "Renfield" honorific? Dracula?

By Netty Dingo, we got a bingo&#33;

Yup-he also portrayed Ygor in lots of Frankenstein movies.

Not Renfield and Stimpy, the cartoon? I was so sure&#33;

Alright-

Who&#39;s really in charge of comic relief around here?

Wouldn&#39;t mind hearing a sane voice here, Hobbes-leave something worthwhile, huh?

I&#39;m gonna go play with my wife for a bit. B)
    Hey,join the queue,we&#39;ve all paid good money here for the privelege of her ahem......company

Take care J,hope you had a good easter break. [/b][/quote]
    I&#39;ll do you the favor of not showing her your post, Dio.

She used to be a skip-tracer; she could find you easy-even in the U.K., where we have been meaning to holiday.

Did I mention, she also has experience as a meat-cutter? B) B)
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

3. The Drawing Room   -   #53
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Why can&#39;t she hold down a steady job?
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

4. The Drawing Room   -   #54
    dwightfry's Avatar Poster
    Originally posted by j2k4@24 April 2003 - 18:27
    Ah-I see.

You might have thought to say, "In light of your political stance....." or, "You just don&#39;t like what they have to say, so just shut the libs up?", but no, you have to play dumb.

Okay-you&#39;re saying that, indeed, I AM guilty of wanting to deprive them of their speech rights?
    Even given my statements specifically to the contrary?
    You are ignoring plain statements that exist IN THIS THREAD?

You have obviously armed yourself with your own personal set of facts about me, Renfield-did you cook THEM up in your lab, too?

Well, YOU may enjoy an occasional bout of thickness, but you might devote some time to your mental folio, too, as IT is very thin.
    As I stated earlier, none of my comments were directed specifically at you. You replied, I explained, and you start insulting my intelligence, so I made the mistake of questioning your honesty with YOURSELF. I didn&#39;t, and I don&#39;t have any set &#39;facts&#39; about you, I am just thinking with commensense, and stating how I see things.

If every celebrity spoke out for the things that you believe in, why would you want them to stop? You don&#39;t have a microphone, they do, so why wouldn&#39;t you want your opinion spread anyway it can. The problem is that some celebrities are speaking out for things you don&#39;t believe in, and you would like that to stop. I &#39;believe&#39; that you tell yourself that the entire idea of celebrities speaking in their microphone is wrong, but in truth, the idea of celebs spreading opinions that differ from your own is the real problem. I could be wrong, but I don&#39;t believe I am, and that to is just an opinion, it doesn&#39;t mean I&#39;m right.

If I&#39;m wrong, than I am wrong. Once again, my original post wasn&#39;t directed at you, you just made things personal.
    Life should come with backround music
    -Dwight Fry-
    Coconut, the desert's onion
    -Dwight Fry-
    Why stand when you can lean, why lean when you can sit, why sit when you can lounge, why lounge when you can lie
    -Dwight Fry-
    www.BrownSugarStudios.com

5. The Drawing Room   -   #55
    Sorry J2K4,

I totally missed the incident and I have not looked into it as I don&#39;t care what celebrities have to say.

Many people cannot separate stars from their roles and these people are not worth worrying about because they live in this concrete world called "the box". They are the cattle, we are the shepards.

As for the celeb&#39;s themselves, they must realize that they are a product of society. On the upside, they can use their notoriety to rally people around their pet causes. Charleton Heston draws a lot more attention than J2K4 would, after all he is Moses.

On the other hand, as a commodity, they must be aware that public opinion or perceived opinion by movie financiers is important. If Catherine Zeta Jones decides that a babies should be branded on the ass, she is welcome to voice this opinion on the "Tonight" show, but job offers might just fall of a touch.

But, as I said, I don&#39;t care what stars have to say, but I will stand behind their right to say it.
    Aren't we in the trust tree, thingey?

6. The Drawing Room   -   #56
    Well said, Hobbes-
    I will second your post and it&#39;s sentiment.

Renfield-I stand by my post(s), you may stand by yours; we are apparently having interpretive difficulties, though I have re-read the entire thread, I can&#39;t identify the problem.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

7. The Drawing Room   -   #57
    Great. I&#39;m just glad it&#39;s over. I was getting sick of this.
    -Dwight Fry-
    -Dwight Fry-
    Why stand when you can lean, why lean when you can sit, why sit when you can lounge, why lounge when you can lie
    -Dwight Fry-

8. The Drawing Room   -   #58
    Skillian's Avatar T H F C f a n BT Rep: +1
    Well dwightfry I understood your point all along and find it difficult to see how others could miss it or find it irrelevant. Plenty of mentions of Sarandon and Robbins and the like but no chastising of those celebrities that speak/spoke out for the war.

Not gonna really get into it though as I don&#39;t really wish to be talked down to in such as condescending manner as you were.

9. The Drawing Room   -   #59
    Originally posted by Skillian@26 April 2003 - 14:59
    Well dwightfry I understood your point all along and find it difficult to see how others could miss it or find it irrelevant. Plenty of mentions of Sarandon and Robbins and the like but no chastising of those celebrities that speak/spoke out for the war.

Not gonna really get into it though as I don&#39;t really wish to be talked down to in such as condescending manner as you were.
    Skillian-
    Didn&#39;t mean any disrespect to ANYBODY-just didn&#39;t think he understood my point, for whatever reason. After, I think, three such posts, I began to think he was just having me on and then I got a little short. I think if you go back and give an honest read from the point at which DF first posted, you might see why I was confused-I don&#39;t think I was unclear in making my point, but if you are also misunderstanding me, then perhaps I am wrong.
    Maybe I should have included ALL celebrities, but in this case, my first post referenced the H.O.F. incident, which had no "Pro-war" celebrity proponent/ component; was I to invent one, in the name of fairness?

-Mark Twain

10. The Drawing Room   -   #60
    oh, one more thing.

I didn&#39;t get my name from the actor dwight fry (spelling is different), well...not specifically. I got it from an Alice Cooper song balled of Dwight Fry....which was slightly based on the real Dwight Fry, so...well....you get my point.
    -Dwight Fry-
    -Dwight Fry-
    -Dwight Fry-

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast