Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: After years of the Baseball 'World-Series' being nothing of the sort ...

JPaul's Avatar Fat Secret Agent
    Ryan Giggs. Fact.

2. Sports Club   -   #32
    manker's Avatar effendi
    Quote Originally Posted by vidcc
    I think the whole thing is silly, if the sport is not bikini beach volleyball with hot women playing it's not worth watching..............IMO

I'd rather see this

than this

Can't imagine why
    Well, I'd much prefer to see the Lions playing rugby than some hawt women jumping around in bikinis.

I can watch Aerobics Oz Style every morning, if I like. The Lions only play once every four years.

If you want to spam, go to Sports Club
    I plan on beating him to death with his kids. I'll use them as a bludgeon on his face. -

--Good for them if they survive.

3. Sports Club   -   #33
    JPaul's Avatar Fat Secret Agent
    So let me get this right, vid wants to watch hawt burds jumping about on t'telly. Using this as a form of sexual gratification.

Whilst you want to watch double hard bastard sports with your mates, in the pub. Then go home and have a fulfilling adult love life with Mrs manker.

Are you a poove or something.

4. Sports Club   -   #34
    Busyman's Avatar Use Logic Or STFU!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by manker
    Quote Originally Posted by Busyman
    Nah, it's the real deal.

Global competition earns a pittance and even owners and manager's don't like it.

So an indvidual player would weigh that when deciding to play.
    Only in America.

Elsewhere, players are particularly proud to represent their country and would do it for nothing. Fact.

Owners and managers don't like it, they don't much over here either because it doesn't make the owners any money and the managers might end up with injured players - especially the foreign owners and managers. However, it's the friendlies they take issue with, not competitions.

Anyway, they don't participate - the players that play and the public that watch absolutely love it.

Over here, that is.
    Only in America...maybe so. America has a different dynamic than the rest of the world. It's a little more "self-contained". Foreigners may talk bad about America 100x more than we may talk about them. Our daily grind is more a topic to others than vice-versa.

1. Fans of the individual sport will watch it's world competition counterpart.
    However, they are less likely to watch that versus the country competition counterpart. Maybe the world competition would be watched more if our country was smaller. I dunno

2. World competition holds less importance for our professional players than our league competition for obvious reasons. I only can speak on baseball and basketball. It could be the same for other major sports as well.

3. The players that play are proud to represent the country. There are individuals with ego problems that talk out the side of their neck. If you made the trip to play, stfu if you lose.(except when America lost to Russia in Olympic basketball, what a travesty)

On a side note, I heard on the radio on the way home that Roger Clemens is retiring and that the USA lost 2 to 1 to Mexico.
    Silly bitch, your weapons cannot harm me. Don't you know who I am? I'm the Juggernaut, Bitchhhh!

Flies Like An Arrow, Flies Like An Apple
    ---12323---4552-----
    2133--STRENGTH--8310
    344---5--5301---3232

5. Sports Club   -   #35
    fkdup74's Avatar Pneuberator.

I can't be f*cked going back and quoting anyone,
    but I'd just like to point out that this^ isn't quite
    the "B" roster that some would have you believe.

Granted, some of the best aren't there, but why?
    Because they are on other teams, representing their countries.
    Once all the Dominicans, Cubans, Puerto Ricans, etc. went to play for thier countries,
    this is about what we had left.
    Still, not too shabby of a roster.

re: motives of the players...
    One may wonder what, if not pride, would compel someone to join international play.
    Seeing as how the money's shit and all....
    I haven't seen the report on the USA excusing themselves due to lack of motivation,
    but if that's what they are saying, it's pathetic.

That's coming from a pissed American baseball fan.
    I am just a worthless liar. I am just an imbecile.
    I will only complicate you. Trust in me and fall as well.
    I will find a center in you. I will chew it up and leave.
    I will work to elevate you just enough to bring you down.

6. Sports Club   -   #36
    manker's Avatar effendi
    Quote Originally Posted by Busyman
    Quote Originally Posted by manker
    Only in America.

Elsewhere, players are particularly proud to represent their country and would do it for nothing. Fact.

Owners and managers don't like it, they don't much over here either because it doesn't make the owners any money and the managers might end up with injured players - especially the foreign owners and managers. However, it's the friendlies they take issue with, not competitions.

Anyway, they don't participate - the players that play and the public that watch absolutely love it.

Over here, that is.
    Only in America...maybe so. America has a different dynamic than the rest of the world. It's a little more "self-contained". Foreigners may talk bad about America 100x more than we may talk about them. Our daily grind is more a topic to others than vice-versa.

1. Fans of the individual sport will watch it's world competition counterpart.
    However, they are less likely to watch that versus the country competition counterpart. Maybe the world competition would be watched more if our country was smaller. I dunno

2. World competition holds less importance for our professional players than our league competition for obvious reasons. I only can speak on baseball and basketball. It could be the same for other major sports as well.

3. The players that play are proud to represent the country. There are individuals with ego problems that talk out the side of their neck. If you made the trip to play, stfu if you lose.(except when America lost to Russia in Olympic basketball, what a travesty)

On a side note, I heard on the radio on the way home that Roger Clemens is retiring and that the USA lost 2 to 1 to Mexico.
    I think you're painting a bad picture of Americans.

You're saying that American sport fans haven't as much national pride as people in the rest of the world.

I call bullshit.

I know more American people watched the Ryder Cup than they did when Tiger Woods wins a major. Your soccer team was watched by millions more when they got to the quarter finals of the WC in 2002 than any given game in the MLS.

This was the inaugural baseball World Cup, it hasn't found it's feet yet - bball hasn't been in the Olympics for long, football hasn't even got a national competition. Give it time.

A national team competition appeals to a MUCH wider audience than a domestic competition ever could. Americans are no different to anyone else and they WILL get behind their nation in droves, once they get used to it - just like they have with the Ryder Cup.

All your bluster about the US being insular and somehow 'different' to the rest of the world in this sense is rather derogatory. Americans are just as nationalistic in a sporting sense as anyone else.

Some of you just don't know it yet
    I plan on beating him to death with his kids. I'll use them as a bludgeon on his face. -

--Good for them if they survive.

7. Sports Club   -   #37
    Proper Bo's Avatar spmado BT Rep: +2
    I saw wales won the table tennis today

As long as I've got a face
    You've got a place to sit

8. Sports Club   -   #38
    Busyman's Avatar Use Logic Or STFU!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by fkdup74

I can't be f*cked going back and quoting anyone,
    but I'd just like to point out that this^ isn't quite
    the "B" roster that some would have you believe.

Granted, some of the best aren't there, but why?
    Because they are on other teams, representing their countries.
    Once all the Dominicans, Cubans, Puerto Ricans, etc. went to play for thier countries,
    this is about what we had left.
    Still, not too shabby of a roster.

re: motives of the players...
    One may wonder what, if not pride, would compel someone to join international play.
    Seeing as how the money's shit and all....
    I haven't seen the report on the USA excusing themselves due to lack of motivation,
    but if that's what they are saying, it's pathetic.

That's coming from a pissed American baseball fan.
    The words in bold speaks volumes.

As far as who didn't go, I just remember a number of A list players declining going. It might equate to what I thought about our basketball team. Sure the players were good....but they weren't our elite by any stretch.

I really can't comment too much on the roster since I'm not a fan and don't know the game as well as you do.
    Silly bitch, your weapons cannot harm me. Don't you know who I am? I'm the Juggernaut, Bitchhhh!

Flies Like An Arrow, Flies Like An Apple
    ---12323---4552-----
    2133--STRENGTH--8310
    344---5--5301---3232

9. Sports Club   -   #39
    Mike Nelson's Avatar Poster
    I'm sure that when England got knocked out of their first World Cup by USA they used similiar weak-arsed excuses. The whiney cunts.

Disclaimer: I only read the second post.*

* Sort of.
    Last edited by Mike Nelson; 03-18-2006 at 03:08 AM.

10. Sports Club   -   #40
    Mike Nelson's Avatar Poster
    Oh yeah btw, welcome to our world. You invent a sport and then the rest of the world beats you at it. We invented all the good sports and all we have ever won is a world cup for each and some sort of egg cup with a bunch of ashes in it.

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast